The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

The Great #1 Goalie Thread

Would we want to pull a Calgary and get 2 totally new goalies in the same offseason? I would imagine that we would keep one of our current guys just so that we have someone to fall back on that knows our system. I'd like to have a completely fresh start, but as a newer hockey fan, Calgary is the only team I've seen do this and their experience wasn't exactly smooth sailing. If this is a more common occurrence and I'm just green, then forget all of this and jettison both of them for 2 better guys with more upside!

Also, if we get Grubauer, are people going to start shouting "GRUUUUUB" everytime he makes a save, a la "TUUUUUK" and "DUUUUUB"? Just some food for thought! :P

12 hours ago, Citizen_Quinn said:

Would we want to pull a Calgary and get 2 totally new goalies in the same offseason? I would imagine that we would keep one of our current guys just so that we have someone to fall back on that knows our system. I'd like to have a completely fresh start, but as a newer hockey fan, Calgary is the only team I've seen do this and their experience wasn't exactly smooth sailing. If this is a more common occurrence and I'm just green, then forget all of this and jettison both of them for 2 better guys with more upside!

Also, if we get Grubauer, are people going to start shouting "GRUUUUUB" everytime he makes a save, a la "TUUUUUK" and "DUUUUUB"? Just some food for thought! :P

Well they did make the playoffs.  Even if they got swept that move got them to the playoffs so there is that to consider.  We have had the same starter for the past 8 years and for the past 8 years we have missed the playoffs.  Now I am not putting this all on Ward.  But he has costed us a lot of W's over the years....

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Since when did that ever stop anybody?

Good point.  I should have kept it.  Maybe E. Staal could be our new goalie. :)

• Like 1

I cane s

7 minutes ago, BBreb said:

Hurricanes have just traded with the Blackhawks for the rights to Scott Darling.

I can see the Mayberry videos now.

We gave up a 3rd round pick for a pending UFA so I trust RF has spoken to Darling's contingent and there's a general consensus about him signing with the Canes. It's the 3rd round pick we got from the Sens, not the Canes 3rd rounder.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

We gave up a 3rd round pick for a pending UFA so I trust RF has spoken to Darling's contingent and there's a general consensus about him signing with the Canes. It's the 3rd round pick we got from the Sens, not the Canes 3rd rounder.

I heard that he and his people were surprised by the move. I hope that report wasn't true, but we should have the best chance of signing him now. Glad we made the move, just hope it works out in our favor.

Wow, Darling was born in Newport News?  Wonder if that's a plus, a minus, or a nothing when it comes to the Hurricanes' chances of singing him.  Anyway kind of an odd trade but i'll take it.  If nothing else it tells us (which we already knew) that RF isn't intending on going into next season with the LackoWardo show.

My first impression is there has to be something more to this move. Maybe not but I think I will sit back and watch it play out

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Wow, Darling was born in Newport News?  Wonder if that's a plus, a minus, or a nothing when it comes to the Hurricanes' chances of singing him.  Anyway kind of an odd trade but i'll take it.  If nothing else it tells us (which we already knew) that RF isn't intending on going into next season with the LackoWardo show.

realm, sorry but I don't get your point "kind of an odd trade", when his name has been bantered around by several, including me? Please share your thoughts, as I'm guessing neither you, nor OBXer were that much intrigued by this goalie?

My money is on us dumping Lack the moment we re-sign Darling.  It has nothing to do with sentimental value of Cam, but Cam (as streaky as he is) is a more valuable commodity to us as a backup than Eddie.

Love this move. Takes all the pressure off, and the competition away, of signing someone on July 1st. I could definitely see RF making more trades for that top-six forward and 6th defensemen we need, as opposed to waiting until free agency.

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

realm, sorry but I don't get your point "kind of an odd trade", when his name has been bantered around by several, including me? Please share your thoughts, as I'm guessing neither you, nor OBXer were that much intrigued by this goalie?

No, i'm not unintrigued by him as a goaltender - it's just odd in the sense that he's a UFA, so that whether here or in Chicago, he's free to go wherever he wants in another couple months.  Francis just traded for the opportunity to wine and dine the guy and talk him into signing here.  That said, Francis had the picks to spare and i like the thinking in bringing him to town and courting him.  Unless, as OBX speculates, there is more to this trade, which could very much be the case as well.  I do like the idea of Darling wearing the sightless eye next season though.

I like the aggressive move by RF.  Darling and Grubauer were the targets I thought he go after.  If he gets him to sign, good value for the 3rd and it gets him away from the free agent frenzy.  

Seems like it's been forever since any trade was made during the playoffs.

Edited by super_dave_1

The other way this could play out really well is if we get him signed fairly early taking that off the "to do list". This would allow Francis to focus on the draft and finding the forward we need. Also, if we are really courting a guy like TJ Oshie, what a great signal that we are serious about winning next year. Also, shows that to the fanbase.

Edited by remkin

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not at all Kjun.  I very much like Darling. I'm intrigued by the move. Francis hasn't been a risk taker but a methodical team builder. If true and Darling and Co. were caught by surprise by the trade it means Hawks didn't talk to him or give us the right to talk to him. On the surface we gave up an asset to get a heads up on other teams for the chance to sign him before other teams can talk with him. A calculated risk if you will. For Darling I think it would be a real opportunity to sign with us. For us, I suppose we didn't give up that much to get this opportunity to sign him. But I'm still intrigued by the move and again think I will sit back and watch how this plays out.

From Spector's Hockey, Lyle Richardson wrote:

This was a shrewd move by Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis, as he now has exclusive negotiating rights with the 28-year-old goalie until July 1.

The risk/reward aspect of this move is minimal at worse. If RF is unable to sign Darling by July 1st, all we loss was a 3rd round pick. RF has finally thrown down the gauntlet to tell the fan base his next phase of the "rebuild" is on.  I too believe Lack will be moved. Cam's inconsistent consistency makes him a better backup to Darling than Lack consistent inconsistency and would truly give us a solid 1-2 punch in net. But all of that is contingent on RF being able to convince Darling this is the place to be and sign him.

News & Observer

Canes acquire rights to goalie Scott Darling

“This is a bit of a gamble but one we believed was worth taking,” Francis said

Finally, some net changes for Hurricanes

Maybe they'll get him signed. Maybe he's the long-term answer in goal. And maybe they won't and maybe he's not. But after two years of stagnation in net, any movement is welcome movement for the Hurricanes.

Pierre LeBrun: “Smart move by the ‘Canes to get a leg up on a UFA goalie more than a few teams would have wanted to talk to. Should also mention there haven’t been any talks yet between Carolina and Darling’s agent. This was news to the Darling camp just now”

Mark Lazerus: “Scott Darling was an unrestricted free agent, and there was basically zero chance of the #Blackhawks retaining him. Deserves to be a No. 1. 

Scott Darling’s a great guy and should be a No. 1 somewhere. But everyone who wanted to deal Crawford to save a measly $2M or so is insane. And I’m pretty sure Scott Darling would tell you the same thing.”

Brian Hedger: “A 3rd rd pick for a guy who could be UFA in a couple months is a good get for #Blackhawks and answers the ? about which G they’re keeping. Kind of a risk for Carolina, which would be sacrificing a 3rd rd pick for nothing if Darling doesn’t sign an extension before July 1.”

Cory Lavalette: “This could backfire, too. Buffalo traded a 3rd to the Preds for negotiating rights to Vesey last year. He signed with NYR, Buffalo got nada. Like Buffalo last year, though, Hurricanes can afford to take the chance given all their picks.”

Thanks all for clarifying, as I thought my feelings were off base. Further, as rem astutely points out, and another aspect that Id not considered, this rather bold move is a signal to whomever is taking note(TJ Oshie, I'm looking at you), that RF is moving out of the shadows, and means to deal.

I know that Pesce was a third rounder, and Slavin a 4th, so, yes, we've been drafting late rounds much better lately, but as a rule third rounders are a longshot to have an NHL impact. Plus, we had 3 third round picks: #67 (from NJ), #73 (ours) and projected around #83, the one we traded (our worst one, that could end up being almost a 4th rounder).

It was not much to give up. If we sign Darling and he's what he seems to be? GREAT move.

Edited by remkin