The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

The Great #1 Goalie Thread

Boom there it is...a low third round pick for a big goalie with good numbers who wants to be a starter on good contract for 4 years. Welcome to the Canes officially Scott Darling!!!

• Like 1

Put it in the other thread, but this is phenomenal.

Out of the blue, Francis sweeps down during playoff "downtime" and snags the rights and quickly signs one of, if not the best player available and just like that, fixes goalie.

Can't wait to see what else he pulls off this offseason.

Edited by remkin

48 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Think it's too much?

I think it is a year too long in term, but the AAV is where I thought it would be. If he doesn't lay an egg for us, then the term will be fine.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Put it in the other thread, but this is phenomenal.

Out of the blue, Francis sweeps down during playoff "downtime" and snags the rights and quickly signs one of, if not the best player available and just like that, fixes goalie.

Can't wait to see what else he pulls off this offseason.

Agreed 100% with this.  GMRF had a plan and executed it perfectly.  This is why those deadline deals are so important.  It gave us the picks to be able to afford to make this move.  Bravo!

30 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I think it is a year too long in term, but the AAV is where I thought it would be. If he doesn't lay an egg for us, then the term will be fine.

I was kind of asking bd, who has been complaining for ages that RF didn't go out and spend any money to sign players.

With seeing how players were getting $6M+ for 7 years in free agency, this isn't so bad.  Ronnie could have played hard ball and ended up without a chair when the music stopped.  The deal is right about where it was going to be.

22 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I have total faith that a deal gets done, probably in the next week or two.

Or sooner. :lol:

Awesomeness. In RF we trust.

4 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I was kind of asking bd, who has been complaining for ages that RF didn't go out and spend any money to sign players.

Yup, and now that he has, bd moves the goalposts: it's too much money for an "unproven starter."

Trolling in action.

Signing a goalie who hasn't demonstrated over several years that he's a true NHL #1 is a roll of the dice.  But all dice aren't equal, and imo RF picked the dice that give us the best chance of rolling a 7.  Anyone who will want to criticize Ronnie for this signing if Darling doesn't work out as hoped should speak out now or forever hold your peace.

we have all griped and endured the pain of new coaches, bad contracts, failed players, new faces and each year some new form of (if's) kool-aid to drink... a goalie change is one of the final pieces of the (what do we do next) puzzle to replaced, imo this was a must no matter what....This guy is the real deal!!!!

Edited by PamlicoPuck

Brilliant move by Ronnie! Throws out a 3rd round pick for exclusive rights. What did he have to lose? Nothing. Showed Darling he wanted him, did not break the bank with his contract and got a Goalie with great numbers and a Goalie who is yet to hit his prime. What else do you want? Not in RF's chemistry to go after a goalie who is aged, has a huge contract and wants long term. Any one who has a problem with this signing is dead to me. Darling is a class A guy. We wanted action and we got it without breaking the bank. Can't wait to see what else RF has up his sleeve considering the off season hasn't officially started.

The fun thing about sports sometimes is taking some risk. Those afraid to do it will never win. Some people get hung up on wanting a sure thing all the time.

IMG_0435.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, and now that he has, bd moves the goalposts: it's too much money for an "unproven starter."

Trolling in action.

So you guys choose to ignore facts.  I base my statement on the previous 2 goalies we have acquired.   I hope 3rd time is a charm but it is a roll of the dice.  Let's try not to be sensitive sallys.  I've heard this all before with a guy named Lack.  I don't think there was a better option.  I would like RF to spend money but on proven players.

Edited by bluedevil58

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So you guys choose to ignore facts.  I base my statement on the previous 2 goalies we have acquired.   I hope 3rd time is a charm but it is a roll of the dice.  Let's try not to be sensitive sallys.

This post is rich.  

You add add absolutely nothing of value to this community.  I don't mind saying that at all.  You flip flop more than a politician and complain constantly.  No move that GMRF has made has satisfied you, even when he does exactly what you have complained about him not doing.

Once again, back to my ignore list.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Can't wait to see what else RF has up his sleeve considering the off season hasn't officially started.

This and Rem's point about RF not sitting back: That's huge. Last year he had no option, contrarians be damned. With the looming ExDraft, bringing in an FA at last year's TD and/or signing one last summer, or trading picks/prospects/personnel before giving what you've got another year to mature in order to nail your own protect list, would have been JR-grade irresponsibility at best, and downright foolishness at worst. Ronnie's patience has fueled BP's certainty, expressed during the post-season presser, about what we still need.  

Now, if we make a play for Oshie or other FAs, we might well see more of the same: risk a pick for their rights the minute their team is eliminated, lock 'em down, and put 'em on the protected list. Then, after the dust from the ExDraft clears and free agency begins, take care of 5/6 D and any gaps in the bottom six. Smart, smart, smart.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

Having a legit goalie may also make the Canes appear as a better landing spot when negotiating with free agents.  It's one variable taken out of the equation.

• Like 3