• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OBXer

Calder Cup 2017/Charlotte Checkers

29 posts in this topic

The Checkers open their first-round series with Chicago at home on Thursday with a 7 p.m. puck drop.

Best of 5

April 20        7 p.m.         Charlotte
April 21        7:15 p.m.    Charlotte
April 23        3 p.m.         Chicago
April 25        8 p.m.         Chicago*
April 26        8 p.m.         Chicago*

Charlotte, which qualified for the playoffs as the fourth seed in the AHL's Central Division, is making its first Calder Cup Playoff appearance since 2013.

I was finally able to get tickets for Friday night's game!

Great price! Great seats!!

1 person likes this

Leights is back

Leighton will back up McCollum for Game 1. Saarela, Wallmark, Kristo all close but not quite cleared, Ulf won't confirm whether they're in

Apr 19

[NEWS] assign forward Janne Kuokkanen to Charlotte

Where the heck did that television coverage come from?  In any case i'll be in the house tomorrow to try to cheer them to a similar outcome.  Playoff hockey in North Carolina just seems odd somehow.  Hmmm...

25 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Getting ready to make the 3hr trek to Charlotte to watch game 2!

Don't forget to post all about the game. We rarely have a fan report from Charlotte.

15 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

In any case i'll be in the house tomorrow

Another Caniac in the Chex house. I look forward to you letting us know about your Charlotte experience.

Also in the house tonight.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and people sitting

Hopefully he saw more than i did from some of these guys.  Despite living in Charlotte for 2 years now this was the first hockey game i've attended since the last lockout, so i'm sure with a larger sample size i'd have more insight.  At times McCollum looked like someone we needed to try to pry from Calgary, while he looked quite human at others.  On defense i was more-impressed with Carrick and Chelios, and probably even Robertson, than i was with Fleury and McKeown.  Samuelsson was on par with Fleury and McKeown, i thought.  McKeown was the only righty on the blue line, though, so his stock rises because of that (Samuelsson and Chelios both played on their off-sides).  Nothing about any of them, however, screamed out 'i'm ready for Raleigh' IMO.  Up front, nobody really showed anything we don't already know about them.  Bean, Tolchinski, and Kuokkanen did not play.  

1 person likes this

Man, hate I didn't see Coach P at the game! I was sitting in section 124, row B. Excellent seats for only $33 each!

Last night, Charlotte got pushed around by Chicago last night. The Wolves used their size and were very physical from the drop of the puck.

Our young D was very good, but like REAL said, they aren't ready, yet. Defensemen typically take more seasoning before they are NHL ready.

McCollum is a solid goalie. Didn't really see a soft goal last night. They just couldn't get over that hump each time the Wolves would score to take the lead, we'd make a push to tie it up.

It was great to see Wisniewski playing for the Wolves, trying to make it back to the NHL.

1 person likes this

He was behind and a little to the left of you... that pic was taken from the exit in section 123.  We were in 123 row G, in the area where F is the front row behind the benches and the Chex entrance doorway.  If they can eke out a couple more wins, we'll probably take in a game next series as well.

Disappointing to hear Fleury especially didn't impress. Hopefully it was just an off game. We don't really need him up here next year, but I've been hoping he'd be ready. Same with McKeown, who Francis has said was near NHL ready out of camp last year.

CHECKERS WIN IN OVERTIME! Brickley stuffs in the GAME WINNER!

4-3!!!! LEADS series 2-1 with a chance to clinch Tuesday night!

Edited by hopper915
1 person likes this

If anybody wants to stream the games I would highly suggest it.  It's only $3.99 per game.  The AHL has an app for this, search AHL Live.  I've enjoyed the games so far.

2 people like this

Just read a piece on Wallmark, who is scoring at a high clip in these first few playoff games. Think he has a good shot at that 4C slot next year in Raleigh.

Also, Kuokkanen now playing with Checks and Saarela. Zykov playing very well too.

Thanks to Coastal on the stream info.

Edited by remkin

The Checkers and Wolves square off  tonight in Chicago for Game 4 of the Central Division Semifinals, with Charlotte holding a 2-1 advantage in the series.

Preview

Well tonight we see how our young Checkers do. Like the last game of the season, another Win and you're in scenario.

Regardless, they have been impressive in pushing for the final playoff spot and pushing the top team in the west to the brink.