The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 IIHF World Championship

Lindholm with 5 goals and 7 points in 4+ games.

Skinner with 7 points in 4 games.

Rask with 7 points in 5 games.

Aho with 5 points in 4 games.

Nice.

Thx for the report, nice indeed.  Really glad to see Lindholm could have found his game.  He's a different player it seems since the second half of the season.  We really need him to keep it going.

• Like 1

I'm with you there. While we've been premature in predicting Lindholm's breakout, the way he finished, the confidence, and now one has to think this performance just adds to that confidence, especially goals. This will be Lindholm's breakout year.

Hidden in his yearly numbers is that from December on he was .82 pp over 44 games, and in March the goals started coming with 5 goals.

If healthy, Lindy should break 60 points, possibly more. Those last 44 games he was on a 67 point pace.

Edited by remkin

And tonight is the final round-robin game for the US against Russia.  Should be interesting to see if we can take them down and get the top seed from our division.

Finns can't match Canada's intensity and lost 2:5. Finland in QF will meet USA who beat Russia earlier 5:3.

Will we see USA-Canada gold medal game ;) ?

Sweden meets Switzerland in QF

USA player got 2 minutes for "Playing without helmet" :o

I've never seen that violation before. Hockey gurus, is it International/European rule or there is one in NHL as well?

39 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

USA player got 2 minutes for "Playing without helmet" :o

I've never seen that violation before. Hockey gurus, is it International/European rule or there is one in NHL as well?

Technically, in the NHL, if you enter the surface without the helmet, visor (grandfathered), etc., you can get penalized.  Never seen it called, never seen it happen too.  Did see one equipment penalty one time in pre-season when Semin got called for tucking his sweater in his pants.

If you lose your helmet during play in NHL, you can play on.

Internationally, if you lose your helmet during play, you have to get off.  Kind of like playing with a broken stick.  Much stricter.  This happens every year in the Olympics when players forget the rule change.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Afternoon actions update (to whom it may concern ;)):

Canada edged Germany just 2:1, despite of outshooting them 50:20 (including 20 SOG in the 2nd period only versus Germany's one at the end).

Skinner scored the 2nd goal of the game. Looks like Germany made a good push in the 3d and scored SHG, but Canada is too good to let them proceed... :)

Another game with 4 Canes on the team of Sweden advanced with 3:1 win over Swiss, but our forwards appeared less and less on the scoreboard including  this game with NONE points from all three of them. I wonder with addition of players from NYR, WAS, etc. were Lindy and Rask getting less minutes? I am not talking about Eddie who, as far as I know, started only one game against low-level Latvia...

The Swedes now face ever-rivals Finland in one semi-finals on Saturday, while the other game will be between arch-rivals Canada and Russia!

• Like 1

514, thanks for keeping us updated. Was just about to head to the iihf site and now don't need to bother. And yeah, I think the Swedes have added a bunch of guys who were ousted over here.

Backstrom arrived a couple days back

strom arrived a couple days back

strom arrived a couple days back

strom arrived a couple days back, for one

(sorry, my keyboard skipped).

Edited by top-shelf-1

It was an entertaining game.  As fate would have it, Sweden overcame Canada's embellishment which led to their power play goal to tie the game.

Did I mention I hate shootouts?

I'm sure it must of been a fun game(s) to watch

6 hours ago

Swedes win gold in shootout. Lindholm, Rask, Nordstrom, Lack make it a big haul for the Canes.

Sebastian Aho doesn't get medal as Finland loses to Russia in bronze-medal game in Worlds. But named Finns' player of game.

Jeff Skinner will take silver.

A couple of thoughts building on what's been posted already.

Lindholm. I watched the last 3 Sweden games. He is their most noticeable forward, and they have Backstrom out there, who is awesome. Lindy isn't just getting a couple of lucky bounces, he is making things happen constantly. He has found his stride, and IMHO he will break out this year for 60 plus, and 70 is not off the table, and he will look good doing it.

Lindholm/Rask/Landeskog: Sweden stuck with that line then whole tourney and they started most periods I was watching. Probably not, of course, but there is always a chance that could be our first line. The line that was in effect the first line of the Gold Medal winning team.

Rask did not look out of place and looked really good in spots. He was simply amazing his first 20 games or so last year, so who knows, maybe he can be a 1C.

As the Swedes celebrated their gold, there in the background, Eddie Lack. Nice to get a gold medal for opening the bench door and taking warm ups.

Aho. I didn't see too much, (just didn't watch) but he was definitely holding his own and making things happen in that Bronze medal game.

In the gold medal game the color analyst called Nordstrom one of Sweden's most effective players.

USA didn't make it to the medal round and I saw none of their games, but reading accounts of it, Hanifin acquitted himself well on this stage. I really think Hanifin will also be a guy who just looks better and better. I would not trade him.

No one got seriously injured.

All of that bodes very well for us, especially Lindy and Aho.

Edited by remkin

49 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Might as well play Rock, Paper, Scissors 

I wish they'd do the drill where one defenseman from each team skates backwards around the rink and see who wins.  At least change up the skills competition they use to decide the outcome.  Maybe the one where they put the 4 plates on the corners of the net and see who breaks them all in the fewest number of shots.  Or maybe bench-pressing Gary Bettman...

A Gold medal game - just play normal OT hockey (NHL playoffs) until someone scores.

Nice pic of the Gold medal Swedes on the Canes site but I would like to ask Lundqist how many fingers he would hold up for Stanley Cups...

They are going to go back to 4 on 4 overtime next year.  Shootout stays, but it's something I guess.

I heard more praise delivered to Joakim Nordstram during the gold medal game for the tourney he had for Sweden than any other Cane.  That was good to hear.  He's not overly flashy but he is a dependable NHLer on a good contract that can kill penalties, is a good grinder on the boards, doesn't get pushed around, and has some skill. 

Edited by coastal_caniac