The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Is Ulf Leaving Charlotte

I think Ulf did a great job in Charlotte. I hope he isn't leaving but an opportunity to climb back in the NHL would be hard to pass up. Unless Francis has plans for him.

Source: Ulf Samuelsson leading candidate for ' assistant coaching job.

Hmmmm. Definitely don't want to lose him....bump Brindy upstairs? Peters, Ulf and Steve Smith would be a strong line up back there...of course Ulf was a defenseman, and Smith is the D guy, but as a student of the game and eventual head coach, probably knows enough offense.

Edited by remkin

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

bump Brindy upstairs

If I'm Francis I would think long and hard before bumping Brindy. I have to think our face-off prowess is in no small part due to Brindy.  Have our power play woes been because of Brindy or because we didn't have the talent.  If there is one Cane that defines Carolina it is probable Brindy.

On the other hand RF indicated the coaching team was under review. That was before we let our goalie coach and trainer go. I guess the question is will that be the extent of the coaching changes.

Well it also could depend on Rod's wishes. Francis himself did a brief bench stint then moved back upstairs. I'm not advocating just firing him, but moving off the bench maybe. I don't know. Just hate it if we lose Ulf. He was a candidate for our head coaching spot. Of course, Ulf may want to go work for Joel Quennvelle and that organization. Probably a very good career move.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

What about Rod to Charlotte?

I thought that might happen a couple of years ago. I'm not so sure it would happen now but  maybe/.

More publicity for him to be in Chicago than here but on the other hand Chicago has nowhere to go but down in the next few years whereas Carolina might actually go up; key word 'might.'

Any more on Ulf leaving? I'd hate it after only a single season, and further do not think Brindy would either consider it or would be as good as Ulf.

Latest update on Ulf.  Looks like the Chex will need a new coach

Craig Morgan

Source: Blackhawks will name Ulf Samuelsson asst. coach to fill Mike Kitchen's spot. Ulf was coaching Charlotte, Carolina's AHL affiliate.

It'll be interesting to see where (or if) Ulf's son plays next year.

I second Roddy to CLT, but wonder if he'd go. Maybe we can get Kirk back :couch:

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think quite a few people want Roddy gone from his PP duties and that kick starts the convo of moving him to Charlotte but why would you move him from one coaching gig to another when he isn't satisfying you at the NHL level? I would think if RF agrees with those posters making him the head coach of Charlotte with all these blue chip prospects coming through wouldn't be in the teams best interest which means I can't see him doing it.

I only see Roddy moving into a cushy office job personally.

Is this official or still in talking stage? 2nd question, do we get some kind of compensation like occurs in NHL when an NHL team acquires anothers' coach or is compensation just limited to HC's?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Is this official or still in talking stage? 2nd question, do we get some kind of compensation like occurs in NHL when an NHL team acquires anothers' coach or is compensation just limited to HC's?

Nothing official yet. The tweet is from Craig Morgan who covers the yotes and is suppose to have ties with ULF.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Nothing official yet. The tweet is from Craig Morgan who covers the yotes and is suppose to have ties with ULF.

Thanks, so there is the chance that Ron could intervene still. OBXer, what about the compensation question I raised?

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks, so there is the chance that Ron could intervene still. OBXer, what about the compensation question I raised?

I have no idea. I expect it depends on his contract.

Assuming Ulf is really gone, Rod just re-signed to coach in Raleigh, so who else might be on the radar for the Chex? We need some continuity down there. And we need a goalie coach. If it was Cujo, I would think that deal would be done already. All things in good time, I guess.

20 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, I ask again, has anything official been released on Ulf, because I've not seen it if it has?

Not yet....:popcorn:

It's official per TSN: The Chicago Blackhawks have hired former NHL defenceman Ulf Samuelsson and Don Granato as assistant coaches on Joel Quenneville's staff.

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Not sure it is a good idea to do two jobs at once.  Just sayin'

That was my initial reaction to this news as well.  I'm not even sure why but it seems a little odd.