The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Is Ulf Leaving Charlotte

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

That was my initial reaction to this news as well.  I'm not even sure why but it seems a little odd.

I mean, sure the assistant GM has a handle on the minors, and he'd be close to the AHL minors by being in the field.  But he also has a team to coach, and players to develop.  I think something is going to get short shrift with this kind of setup.  I don't like it.  Maybe it is just temporary.

• Like 1

I'm kind of hoping this is a stop gap move to keep continuity while they find another coach however I think the announcement would have called him the interim in that case.

I'll play ball and see how it plays out but my initial reaction is that this won't work out. 

• Like 1

I mentioned this in the Vellucci thread as well, but i don't think naming the guy who oversees player development as the coach for your top developmental team is that bad a move - it puts his finger right on the pulse.  IMO 'player development' should be more of Charlotte thing than a Raleigh thing, and if people can be both a coach and an Assistant GM in the NHL, i see no reason why one can't be both a minor league coach and the Asst. GM in charge of player development for the big club.  It would almost be comparable to having a coach of a Swedish league team be in charge of scouting in Sweden - he's right on top of it.  What better way to develop players than to coach them?  Mind you it could be a disaster as well, but i'd have to think they considered the variables.  At they very least it's someone who's been in the organization for a while and has a larger stake, so perhaps more chance he doesn't bolt after one season like the last two Checker coaches did.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I mentioned this in the Vellucci thread as well, but i don't think naming the guy who oversees player development as the coach for your top developmental team is that bad a move - it puts his finger right on the pulse.  IMO 'player development' should be more of Charlotte thing than a Raleigh thing, and if people can be both a coach and an Assistant GM in the NHL, i see no reason why one can't be both a minor league coach and the Asst. GM in charge of player development for the big club.  It would almost be comparable to having a coach of a Swedish league team be in charge of scouting in Sweden - he's right on top of it.  What better way to develop players than to coach them?  Mind you it could be a disaster as well, but i'd have to think they considered the variables.  At they very least it's someone who's been in the organization for a while and has a larger stake, so perhaps more chance he doesn't bolt after one season like the last two Checker coaches did.

Of course, the flip side to your last sentence would be, if he disappoints as a coach and you've got to cut him free, now you've got 2 positions to fill?