The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

So supposedly any deals to keep your guys had to happen last night (Vegas' rules). Not sure what we'll hear about today, since Vegas submits it's team tomorrow. Can Vegas flip anyone today? I'm thinking they have to submit their team first. Anyways, most likely we just sit this period out. On the one hand, we didn't really do anything with this unique expansion situation. On the other hand, outside of the Drouin trade, neither did anyone else. The idea that expansion would push trades ahead of it, turned out to be over-hyped.

I suppose we could try to make a deal with Vegas after they pick their team, but is anyone on that team worth going after? Goalies and Dmen are pretty good, but it's slimmer on forwards. James Neal is the one name-brand offensive piece, but he's only signed for one year, and didn't have a great year. He'd be practically a rental. If Vegas would let him go for rental prices, but probably not. There are a few other interesting forwards on the list, but the likely picks are more likely to be pieces for Vegas, or they end up flipping them for picks and never sign them. I guess what I'm saying, is that while there may be some potential to get Vegas to pick a guy then trade for him, it seems less likely.

So, the whole expansion thing from our vantage, likely comes down to who they take from us, and otherwise a big bore. Very interesting in general, but less so from a Hurricane's point of view. I have no doubt that Francis is exactly the kind of GM to try to mine this for a piece, but it may just not be there. We try to get out with minimum damage and move onto the more traditional ways to find a player.

That's just my guess.

Now, BD58, this is really not that big of a deal. The way this was structured and played out, nothing much really happened at all outside of teams dealing directly with Vegas to swap draft picks for their bad situations. But really, when I look at the non protected lists there are a few guys of interest, but really not THE guy we're looking for. That guy is not going to be a team's 11th best player. So, it really never was going to be the way to get THAT guy, and there are other, probably better ways to get supporting pieces too.

That is plan is still very much in tact ahead of the real draft, and UFA time. At this point, lets get this expansion quirk over with and get to the real business at hand.

Edited by remkin

The forwards available are generally crappy, the DMen a lot better, and the goalies a lot better.  They are forced to take 14 forwards, 9 D and 3 goalies (26 players).  So that leaves 4 slots they can pick anything they want, expect those to all be D or goalies as those are the better assets in the draft.  Then maybe they can package a couple of the good D and/or a goaltender for a better forward.  Maybe with one of the first rounders they get as well.  Because very few of those available forwards are going to knock your socks off. 

Not sure about the Eeyore caricature, top, but if anyone wants to experience that feeling, go to Ben Case's piece today at Hockey Buzz. His take is the fly in our ointment to our previous feelings of great hope, or at least mine, for a top 6 scorer(perhaps even a 1C), will not be small market team, chance for playoffs, Cap space, assets or even salary, but surprise, surprise, our tightwad's constraint on RF's budget!!! If true, that will really deflate any enthusiasm I have for the draft in 3 days. 

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

The forwards available are generally crappy, the DMen a lot better, and the goalies a lot better.  They are forced to take 14 forwards, 9 D and 3 goalies (26 players).  So that leaves 4 slots they can pick anything they want, expect those to all be D or goalies as those are the better assets in the draft.  Then maybe they can package a couple of the good D and/or a goaltender for a better forward.  Maybe with one of the first rounders they get as well.  Because very few of those available forwards are going to knock your socks off. 

When you think about it, it's not surprising that there's a better pool of d-men than forwards.  Looking at a base of 12 forwards and 6 d-men per game, a team could protect 58% of their forwards but only 50% of their d-men. 

Although I'm a firm believer we need to find a way to get a top 6, center if possible I think some of the smaller moves we make will be just as important. We need more scoring from our 3rd and 4th line.  If indeed the budget is the restraint we need to find a way to add about 30-40 goals to our lineup.

We also gave up more goals than all but one playoff team. I think you can make the argument that adding a top 6 you get a better goal scoring team and puck possession team. But the way Peters runs lines a 4th line is no longer only an energy line it is also a line that needs to contribute on the scoreboard.

I will be interested to see who we re-sign and who we shop for on the 3rd and 4th lines.

There could be some smaller deals available for us with Vegas. Deals that won't cost us as much.

What would you offer Vegas for Neal, or Marchessault? 

I would offer a second round pick...we have 3. Yes, both are potentially rentals, but both are potentially 30 goal scorers next year, & could possible be resigned.

Any other forwards worth a pick to Vegas?

What about our first for one of the top D-men exposed then flip that D, or one of our D to the AVS for Duchene...three way trade...that way the AVS get to keep their draft pick(#4).

Canes get Duchene

LV gets #12 pick

AVS get Dumba or Methot...I would put Vatanen but for the rumored 1st round pick(2018) or prospects already going from the ducks to Vegas.

Might need secondary pieces to work.

A few tweet updates on the Ex Draft...No Canes talk I can find

22 hours ago

Plan is for VGK to file all its trades with Central Registry to make them official after the draft window closes at 10 am ET Wednesday

Do not believe Ottawa was able to work out a deal with Vegas last night before GM GM's self imposed deadine. But, does he circle back again?

Hearing has a side deal in place with Vegas to protect its young 'D."

42 minutes ago

Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, via text, would not confirm one way or another whether there's been any deal with Vegas. No comment.

George McPhee says Lou Lamoriello had some travel issues yesterday. Both sides will talk again today ahead of Expansion Draft.

Trade talks between Leafs and VGK. We shall see...

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure about the Eeyore caricature, top, but if anyone wants to experience that feeling, go to Ben Case's piece today at Hockey Buzz. His take is the fly in our ointment to our previous feelings of great hope, or at least mine, for a top 6 scorer(perhaps even a 1C), will not be small market team, chance for playoffs, Cap space, assets or even salary, but surprise, surprise, our tightwad's constraint on RF's budget!!! If true, that will really deflate any enthusiasm I have for the draft in 3 days. 

This is what we will have to see about. Where is PK and the budget this year?

In the more distant past we called it El Cheapo. But more recently we call it smart budgeting and planning ahead, and avoiding bad contracts. PK, in the last couple of years has gotten a bit of a pass, as we all know we overpaid some guys a lot in the past, and as we retool using the draft and entry level players and prospects.

Everyone has their own thoughts on this, but my thoughts are this. This is the year to open the checkbook to get that one guy. The guy who can be that final piece. Some will disagree pointing to all of the bad contracts, but not all large contracts are bad ones, and almost no el cheapo teams go anywhere. At some point you have to step up

Are we one piece away? Well, yes. One major piece anyways. Sure, we could use a 4th liner, and a 5th D man, and a better back up goalie, but we are indeed one major piece away now that starting goalie is fixed. We may not win the cup next year, this group plus THE guy have to mature, and maybe even a guy from the system adds in before the final product, but I think that this team plus a 65 point guy, makes the playoffs and could surprise.

SO GO GET THAT PIECE.

I put it down before, but PK approved $7 million/year for the Russian Tank Job. Some would say, he better not do it again. But that is the wrong lesson. That's falling off the horse and not getting back on to race, but walking around the track muttering about not riding horses anymore, but trying to win by walking. If we get a guy who can consistently put up 25 goals and 65 points, we have all the rest of the major pieces in place right now (especially if we somehow keep Stempniak). Yes, I'm counting on steps forward from Lindholm, Aho, TT, Rask and Hanifin among others, but I think they will take steps forward. Add them to J Staal, Skinner, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and Darling and maybe Stempniak. And you've got a very solid base. Then bring in THAT guy?

When someone gets consented for a treatment they have to be presented the alternatives to make a truly informed consent. One alternative is to do essentially nothing. You may not want to spend the money for that expensive appendectomy, but the alternative is way worse.

What is the alternative to not signing the right guy, the guy we all know we need, due to money? El Cheapo and We Like Our Group (same thing). There is a price to pay for that too. The price may be pretty steep. I think the price is an empty stadium, and maybe worse. If PK cheaps out, and we miss out, and don't get that guy. Then we are betting entirely on improvement from multiple guys, AND that they all stay pretty healthy. Even with better goaltending we did not score enough goals, and we were pretty healthy too.

If we do that (go el cheapo) AND THEN start slow or miss out again? Fans will be done with this team. Not everyone, but too many.

At least if they make the move. Make the splash and miss, at least the fans will see that they tried. But more likely, they'll succeed and get in.

If we go into this season with just minor tweaks, and lose Stemper's points? I'll walk over and join BD58 on the ledge. But I don't see that happening. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by remkin

More teasers from Vegas...

3 hours ago

McPhee's final briefing before expansion draft: Confirms some deals, wouldn't give specifics; expects to make some trades Thursday.

McPhee said he delayed trade moratorium for a couple of GMs who were dealing with time, travel issues. took calls early this a.m.

McPhee on expansion roster: "We'll have good goaltending, good defense, good centers and wings that can score."

Also, McPhee said the team is obtaining first-round picks for 2018 and beyond. Very important.

Everyone tried to get GMGM to reveal outcome of his deals. His response? "We have a show tomorrow to do." Code for "Don't want to be fined."

Busy busy busy

3 hours ago

Golden Knights have at least six transactions completed with teams. Still talking to a couple of clubs including Toronto.

2 hours ago

VGK say they have six trades in place. If we're speculating - emphasis on speculating - likely to be with ANA, CBJ, CHI, NYI, PIT, TB.

There is also considerable speculation MIN has or will have deal with VGK to lay off Scandella/Dumba in exchange for a prospect.

Can't wait for VGK and McPhee to submit their trades and list.  Then he can go.....

After tomorrow he's the GM of a team in need of building and starts paying from his own pocket.

• Like 1

Saw a rumor about the Sharks, Leafs, and Blues as frontrunners for Kovalchuck, with Carolina and Vegas as darkhorses.  As long as it's not Toronto, I don't care who he ends up with, although i'd prefer him here.  I think him and Duchene would not only put us in the playoffs, but a legit top 4 team.

16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I've never heard of ANYONE talking about MAF as a head case...now #87 and #71?  They're certifiable!

It's been suggested several times...on this board.

Edited by Kyrule

So Vegas turns in it's team in about 10 minutes. Of course the big reveal is at 8 PM, but I suspect some leaks about who made deals might come out before then.

Everyone seems to think they take Stempniak, so I guess that's the odds on favorite, but I would not be shocked if they take Nordstrom and keep him as a long term piece.

I still think McPhee is trying to accumulate as many draft picks as possible, and sure he could flip Stempniak, but I just wonder if we might be the exception to the rule.

23 minutes ago

Vegas expansion picks have been submitted to the NHL. Team will be unveiled during the NHL Awards beginning at 8 p.m. on NBCSN.

The only speculation of any kind I'm seeing this morning concerning the Hurricanes is the same speculation that has been mentioned a thousand times before.  We send a draft pick to Vegas if they take Lack/Ward in the draft.

Considering what Philly wanted to take on Cam a few years ago I'd assume a similar bend over and cough deal would have to happen for them. 

McPhee is sitting in a puddle of happy goo. Its all him while the other 30 teams have to wait on what he chooses to do. Knights will put up a good roster with what is available and I would bet they are a 500 team.

Look at ESPN's projection:

Forwards

James Neal - Marcus Kruger - Reilly Smith

Mikkel Boedker - Ryan Strome - Michael Grabner

Lee Stempniak - Trevor Lewis - Matt Calvert

Brendan Leipsic - Jay Beagle - Dmitrij Jaskin

Marko Dano - Hunter Shinkaruk - J.T. Brown

Teemu Pulkkinen - Tomas Nosek - Daniel Carr

Defensemen

Marc Methot - Matt Dumba

Luca Sbisa - Zach Bogosian

Jon Merrill - Josh Manson

Jamie Oleksiak - Colin Miller

Griffin Reinhart

Goalies

Marc-Andre Fleury

Michal Neuvirth

Calvin Pickard

4 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

McPhee is sitting in a puddle of happy goo

Love him or hate him the consensus seems to be McPhee  has made the most of his opportunity

Oh and Bob McKenzie unleashed a tweet storm last night on potential deals.. Here

Man it would be nice to get Marchessault's goals, if he can repeat that production.  We would need a seriously physical center in addition though.  To imagine skins, aho, and march on the same team, its smurfalicious.  Jeff Carter or Big Joe would definitely work. March seems to fit our budget smart approach, until we have to re-sign him that is.

Now this is interesting

One #tblightning prospect that could be on the move today to Vegas is Nikita Gusev, per source. Has one more year left on KHL deal.

TSN - The Golden Knights signed KHL sniper Vadim Shipachyov to a two-year contract earlier in the off-season and have been reported to be working on a deal with Evgeny Dadonov - Gusev played on a line with both players this season.