The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

4 hours ago

SOURCES: 's Erik Haula signs with Vegas Golden Knights, Alex Tuch likely bound for Vegas by day's end

CLARIFICATION: The is getting the conditional draft pick in the Haula/Tuch Vegas arrangement, not the other way around (1/2)

(2/2) Haula's deal is for 3 years, I believe. The draft pick conditions are complicated...I'll update blog once I get a good grasp

Looks like E will be back in Raleigh for the Canes v Wild home opener

Well they can't keep all those other prospects they just gave up a draft pick to Vegas for...Franchise, get their GM on the phone!

Got this from the LV blogger on Hockeybuzz:

We have never seen anything 
First player is likely to be the official expansion selection, anything afterwards is sweetener to induce McPhee from other assets. Please remember that nothing is confirmed until tonight:

MIN Erik Haula + Alex Tuch (Michael Russo)
PIT Marc-Andre Fleury + draft pick (McKenzie)
ANA Clayton Stoner + Shea Theodore (McKenzie)
CHI Marcus Kruger + Trevor van Riemsdyk (Frank Seravelli)
CBJ William Karlsson + David Clarkson + 2017 1st round pick + prospect(Aaron Portzline)
FLA Jonathan Marchessault (McKenzie)
NYI J.F. Berube + Mikhail Grabovski + 2017 1st round pick (McKenzie, Arthur Staple)
TOR Brendan Leipsic (Dreger)
DAL Cody Eakin (Dreger)
OTT Marc Methot (LeBrun)
NSH James Neal (McKenzie)
MTL Alexander Emelin (Seravelli)
STL David Perron (Raphaël Doucet)
TBL Jason Garrison + Nikita Gusev? (McKenzie, Joe Smith)
LAK Brayden McNabb (John Hoven)
DET Tomas Nosek (Craig Custance)
PHI Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (Custance)
NYR Oscar Lindberg (Dreger)
CGY Deryk Engelland (John Shannon)

EDM Griffin Reinhart D (Shannon)

SJS David Schlemko D (LeBrun)

BOS Colin Miller D (Elliotte Friedman‏)

BUF William Carrier F (Seravelli)

WSH Nate Schmidt D (Isabelle Khurshudyan)

NJD Jon Merrill D (Seravelli)

25 of the 30.

Really surprised at the list so far.  Missing a couple of goalies and Dmen that I thought would be there.  

Rumored that Nashville tried to keep Neal.  Believed to be traded soon.

Either GMRF keeps this ridiculously tight or nobody bothers to cover us. 

Edited by gocanes0506
Updated again, again

If the pick is Stempniak, I hope he:

a - at least starts the season on Vegas

b - gets traded at the deadline

c - signs with a new team next year.

Voila - 13 different teams.  A new NHL record 

So far off the list I would hope to trade for:

LW Neal or

RW Marchessault or

LW Perron or

D Miller

miller is a solid young RHD that has good experience. Im counting 10 NHL Dmen on the list, some need to move.

perron scored 18 last year and has a 1 year deal left at less than 4 million 

Edited by gocanes0506

Less than 2 hours to go.  I can't wait for McPhee's moment of fame to disappear.  He can join the other 30 GMs at 8am tomorrow and swim among the sharks.  Then we can have the deer-in-headlights moment as GM of a lousy team with a multi-year hill to climb.  Maybe he'll realize all the non-selected players on the submitted lists are no longer his to play with.

Definitely will be some defenders being traded.  Adding Schmidt to list selected.  He would be a solid pickup on the D.  More teams will need him more than us and pay more

also looking more and more like lack may be chosen. Up to 25 teams and only 2 goalies so far.

Edited by gocanes0506

McPhee:  "What surprised me was the quality of some of our forwards that we were able to get out of this situation, moving players around."

On the goalie front, I'd be really surprised if they didn't take most of Fleury, Raanta, Grubauer, and Mrazek given the value they'd carry as trade chips.  Maybe some of their moves for forwards include goalies. 

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

McPhee:  "What surprised me was the quality of some of our forwards that we were able to get out of this situation, moving players around."

On the goalie front, I'd be really surprised if they didn't take most of Fleury, Raanta, Grubauer, and Mrazek given the value they'd carry as trade chips.  Maybe some of their moves for forwards include goalies. 

I believe the only team that threatens a 3rd goalie being selected is Winnipeg.  All other teams' selections have been confirmed with a high certainty (see list above)

35 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I've read reports that they've passed on Raanta and Mrazek.  It's a foregone conclusion they're taking Fleury.  I would select Grubauer, but I heard they're taking Jay Beagle from WAS.

Read they're passing on Grubauer too.  The likelihood of them taking one of ours is increasing.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

1st player taken in the expansion draft will be from Colorado.

Going reverse order with Washington being last.

Edited by hopper915

1 hour ago, Manwolf said:

Less than 2 hours to go.  I can't wait for McPhee's moment of fame to disappear.  He can join the other 30 GMs at 8am tomorrow and swim among the sharks.  Then we can have the deer-in-headlights moment as GM of a lousy team with a multi-year hill to climb.  Maybe he'll realize all the non-selected players on the submitted lists are no longer his to play with.

I think GMGM's going to make out like a bandit today.  From the reports I read, I was first confused why they didn't take certain players from certain teams.  But you have to remember, they have a bare farm system, and they need players, picks, and prospects.  I've read that their main goal was to acquire as many young players as possible.  They're getting at least 2 additional 1st rounders, and will likely flip Neal for another.  They'll also have decent goaltending, a few legit dmen, and some forwards.  Also read they've already signed a few UFA's.  I don't blame how they're handling the expansion, particularly because it may benefit Carolina by weakening our rivals.  

Not really sure how to post a facebook reference here but allegedly in true JR fashion not only is Las Vegas taking Fluery but JR threw in a pick for the hell of it to ensure it.

The official announced picks:

COL Calvin Pickard G

ARI Teemu Pulkkinen F

VAN Luca Sbisa D

NJD John Merrill D

BUF William Carrier F

DET Tomas Nosek F

DAL Cody Eakin F

FLA Marchessault F + Smith F - a 4th rounder (going to FLA)

LAK McNabb D

CAR Connor Brinkley F  and  5th rounder

WIN Chris Thorburn a 1st rounder and a 5th rounder

PHI P-E Bellemore F

TB Jason Garrison D + Gusev F

NYI J.F Berybe G + Mikhail Grabovski F + Jake Bischoff D + 2017 1st round pick + 2019 2nd round pick

NAS James Neal F

CAL Deryk Engelland D

Edited by gocanes0506

No no no ..there has to be something else coming later.

Now appearing on the Vegas stage is the greatest magician in the world. Watch Ron Francis make a 40 point player disappear and reappear as a 26 pt AHL prospect.

• Like 1