The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

Wow, so we kept Stempniak? That's great

Yup. Gave the LVGK a fifth-round pick this year to stay away from Stemp and Nordy, it seems.

I'm not complaining.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Wow. Could that if you want any better?

Yea it could have been lack and a 5th rounder.

i wonder if there is more to this.  Other teams picked better and paid more too.  Maybe we are trading with them to help with their need for AHLers and this selection was a constellation.

All the discussion for the past year about expansion draft this, expansion draft that, who are we going to protect in the expansion draft, RF's hands are tied because he has to consider the expansion draft, with an expansion draft here and an expansion draft there, here an expansion draft, there an expansion draft, everywhere an expansion draft, you gotta fight for your right to expansion draft, we all live in a yellow expansion draft, i'm not going to pay too much for this expansion draft, another brick in the expansion draft, make expansion drafts great again... Connor Brickley.  Almost makes all our concern and speculation fairly comical, no?  Connor Brickley.

Next...

• Like 2

WHOO HOOO!!

I can't imagine how the Canes could have come out any better than we did.  Gotta believe that if we'd gotten them to take Lack we would have had to include a much higher draft pick because of his salary.  If you're Vegas and pass on Stemp because of his age, how is Nordy not more valuable than Brickley and a 5th?  Not only is Brickley also 25 years old, he was born on the exact same day as Nordy, lol.   Maybe that's it; they intended to take Nordy but they used birthdates in lieu of names as identifiers to save ink, and inadvertently ended up submitting Brickley instead of Nordy. :P

Great job Ronnie! 

Edited by LakeLivin

Yea guys, watching the LSU game, but following this closely,  Go figure. Got to be more to this than meets the eye. Trade of someone we need for our 1st? I hope not, as planning on attending draft party Fri, and would hate to be rewarded with a trade?

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

2105947-400x300.jpg?1492703908

Never a better indicator of a great move than thunderous applause from bd58.

:)

• Like 2

Random thoughts:

• Gaudreau looked like a 16yo kid, lol!
  • Derek Ryan didn't win the Masterton, but they did show him in the audience. I bet he couldn't have imagined being in that position a couple of years ago.
  • Did anyone else do a double-take when they showed Holtby's WAG sitting next to him? This is a family site so I won't say any more, except :P

Edited by LakeLivin

13 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Yeah, they need something that resembles a starting goalie, and I think Lack is the perfect trial goalie for them.

The Avs need a backup keeper now too--and we need us some Avs... 

12 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

According to Bob McKenzie, Vegas is going to trade Trevor Van Reimsdyk to Carolina.  He is a young, RHD.  Something weird is about to happen with this team.

Well the rumor shared was Galchenyuk for Pesce.  Would need to replace a RHD. Not sold him either.  Not great in the circle, not a plus rating player. Rather have someone a little more physical and can rely on to win the big draws.  He fits the winger mold more than center 

Nice to see us in a rumor though

side note, they will need to trade 5 defenders 

Edited by gocanes0506

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Just noticed that Brickley is a pending UFA, he didn't meet the minimum exposure requirements on 2 fronts. 

And Vegas' projected cap hit is now: $73,951,667

Neal and at least 5 defenders will be traded. It'll go down at least 15 million with those moves.  Move a goalie as well.

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Neal and at least 5 defenders will be traded. It'll go down at least 15 million with those moves.  Move a goalie as well.

They've also got David Clarkson's $5.25m contract that would qualify for LTIR if they needed it as well as Grabovski at $5m who's on LTIR.

9 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Berube is a UFA so they can just not sign him.   But still surprised they ended up with Pickard (or Berube) as their 2nd goalie with Raanta, Grubauer, and Mrazek available.  I guess I'd have to look more closely at what Vegas did get from those teams in order to get the full picture.

I haven't seen anything that says they got anything from Detroit or Rangers.  They must have like Nosak and Lindberg better.  They did get a lot from Winnipeg, Columbus, NYI, Minnesota, and Florida.

they got Columbus' 1st (24) that they traded to Winnipeg to get Winnipeg's 1st. So they own the 6, 13, and the Islanders pick.