The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

I know nothing about Marchessault, but how do you not protect a young guy that scored 30 goals? Also, Connor Brinkley? I don't even know who that is. I know our 2 exposed goalies are unattractive at their salaries, but only a 5th to pass on Stempniak and Nordstrom? Unless he gets hurt, I could see Stempniak bringing back better than a 5th at the trade deadline next year. Perhaps something else is afoot with Vegas. Next 48 hours (or less maybe) could be very interesting.

19 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I know nothing about Marchessault, but how do you not protect a young guy that scored 30 goals? Also, Connor Brinkley? I don't even know who that is. I know our 2 exposed goalies are unattractive at their salaries, but only a 5th to pass on Stempniak and Nordstrom? Unless he gets hurt, I could see Stempniak bringing back better than a 5th at the trade deadline next year. Perhaps something else is afoot with Vegas. Next 48 hours (or less maybe) could be very interesting.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like we're only seeing part 1 of a 2 part agreement.  I mean, Brinkley is 25yo with 1 NHL game to his credit and is a free agent in a couple of days, lol.   In essence: we'll give you a 5th round pick if you don't take any of our players?  That's just too good to be true. 

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The more I think about it, the more it seems like we're only seeing part 1 of a 2 part agreement.  I mean, Brinkley is 25yo with 1 NHL game to his credit and is a free agent in a couple of days, lol.   In essence: we'll give you a 5th round pick if you don't take any of our players?  That's just too good to be true. 

Actually 23 games, but 1 whole goal and 4 assists to show for it.  Agreed, there has to be more to this.  The answer to now 13 pages of this thread can't simply be 'Connor Brickley and a 5th'.

15 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Actually 23 games, but 1 whole goal and 4 assists to show for it.  Agreed, there has to be more to this.  The answer to now 13 pages of this thread can't simply be 'Connor Brickley and a 5th'.

Ah, thanks.   Maybe I was looking at the NHL goals scored column. 

I am in Europe right now. I was expecting to see Step, Nordy, or Lack in Vegas.  And then I see Connor Brickley.  I had the same first thought as many here, "Who the hell is Connor Brickley?"  I also agree with the sentiment that something else is going on here.  Especially if the rumor we are trading for Trevor Van Riemsdyk is true.  Both Faulk or Pesce should be able to net us a top line scorer.  For me, Galyenchuk is not enough for either guy...  I would be shooting for MacKinnon.

I think it will be an interesting few weeks for sure.

• Like 1

Just looked up TVR salary, he's due 800K next year and is a RFA afterward.  If we are giving up a draft pick for him I am OK with that.  He would be a perfect bottom pairing RHD that we have control ove for a few more years.  You can find a bottom pairing LHD anywhere. Heck we already have one in Dahlbeck, and Fleury seems to be ready to make the leap.  To me, if we make this trade, our defense is set for 17-18. The rest of our moves would be for forwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Next 48 hours (or less maybe) could be very interesting.

Yes indeedy. OBX called it. There's (at least) one more shoe to drop. 

6 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

They exposed Marchessault because Florida wanted LV to take Smith's bad contract off their hands.

Some people "called" the draft.  So who was it that called Conner Brinkley? :)

Yeah, yeah, more coming.  

5 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Some people "called" the draft.  So who was it that called Conner Brinkley? :)

Yeah, yeah, more coming.  

We were only 1 of 5 teams that had the pick actually announced last night.  All others were leaked beforehand.  I don't believe I would trust a source that said we were losing Brinkley anyways.

I have to admit, I had to Google Brickley to find out something about him.  He came from Florida in the blockbuster, Brody Sutter trade.  I had to chuckle quite a bit when I read this...

In his third game, Brickley recorded his first NHL goal, and point, in a 4-1 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on October 13, 2015

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

So Vegas has the 6th, 13th, and 15th pick.    Rumor is they're going to trade up to acquire the 2nd overall with two of those. If I were them I'd stand pat.

Yes, pk, but if they are able to do that, they could have a young core in place, so I could definitely see the purpose in making that move.

I think I read somewhere the 6th and 15th for the 2nd.  They are a team without a farm system right now, so the more 1st rounders the better.  I read they covet Patrick, but they're projected to get Cody Glass, who's still an excellent prospect.  There are a sea of quality forwards available in the mid-1st round as well.  I'm not interested in Philly bolstering their farm system anymore than they already have.