The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

I just looked it up and ran across this interesting article, but it says 'There has always been some mystery around who owns the rights to the Whalers mark. What is known is that the National Hockey League (NHL) allowed companies to start using and producing the logo again in 2009.'

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20150413/PRINTEDITION/304109980/18-years-after-departure-hartford-whalers-brand-still-a-money-maker

If the League is licensing the mark that suggests it (the League) owns it.

How cool would it be to do a two-part documentary, shown during the first five minutes of the first and second intermissions of the home opener? Introduce it by asking fans to keep their seats, then kill the lights. Put a spot on one fan in each section (chosen at random), who is wearing (and gets to keep) a Ron Francis Whaler jersey. And the narrator begins, "This is the story of your Carolina Hurricanes. The people spotlighted in each section around the arena are wearing what was once this hockey team's jersey--the one Hurricanes' General Manager Ron Francis wore in 1981, when he joined what were then the Hartford Whalers..."

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

It would be cool, but i do feel the team has tried to distance if not fully remove itself from its history as the Whalers.  Not sure why - it is what it is.  I still think the Whalers had one of the coolest logos in sports history.

Everyone thinks the logo was cool - especially people in Hartford. Pretty sure they don't think the Canes should benefit one whit from using their logo. And I'd feel the same way if the Canes relocated and wanted to sell tickets by showing 2006 SC highlights. 

6 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

It would be cool, but i do feel the team has tried to distance if not fully remove itself from its history as the Whalers.  Not sure why - it is what it is.  I still think the Whalers had one of the coolest logos in sports history.

Just now, bluedevilcane said:

Everyone thinks the logo was cool - especially people in Hartford. Pretty sure they don't think the Canes should benefit one whit from using their logo. And I'd feel the same way if the Canes relocated and wanted to sell tickets by showing 2006 SC highlights. 

Yeah, without knowing actual details I suspect that the city of Hartford (state of Connecticut?) have retained as much of the "rights" to the Whalers as they could, similar to when the Cleveland Browns franchise relocated to Baltimore and became the Ravens but the all things Browns stayed with Cleveland.  The Canes may not have very much leeway to use much that's Whaler related. 

Not to get too far into the weeds, but if a licensed Whale sweater is available to the general public (and it is) the org can buy as many as it likes and gift them to whomever it chooses, contingent upon the person agreeing to stand on cue and be featured as part of an intermission activity. There wouldn't be a damned thing Hartford, the state of Connecticut, the NHL, or anybody else could do, in a legal sense, about it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I think the goal horn and Chuck are the only relics from the Whalers days that they brought along.  I would like it if they played Brass Bonanza once a game and a nod to the whale but I agree, they have distanced themselves for whatever reason.

I think it'd be really hard to get people into the Brass Bonanza today. You were either born with it or a super diehard fan to know of it's existence. The normal fan wouldn't have a clue what it is and would likely not find enough things to jam in their ears fast enough to stop hearing it.

It's only cool because of it's legacy, it's overall a god awful tune otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I think it'd be really hard to get people into the Brass Bonanza today. You were either born with it or a super diehard fan to know of it's existence. The normal fan wouldn't have a clue what it is and would likely not find enough things to jam in their ears fast enough to stop hearing it.

Or maybe ESPN diehards of a certain age?  I vaguely recall it being played there a fair bit, but I'm not certain.

20 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Well, when I hear them playing it on the organ at the Staples Center, it's pretty evident that the rest of the league hasn't forgotten...maybe it's time to honor our heritage.

Interesting article referenced by Spector today.  The conversation was with Vegas' GM.  He mentioned trading some of the expansion draft picks because they realistically expect to get all every player that doesn't make the roster through waivers.  Also mentioned potentially trading UFA signings they get during the early signing period. This article really opens up a new avenue for GMRF that I hadn't considered before.

Definitely have some decent #5 dmen and bottom line wingers in the expansion draft.  Make a trade with LV to take Lack for Pitt's 2nd rounder and if they pick a certain player from another team that we will trade for later.  

Man I wouldn't want to be a unprotected player right now or really consider signing with LV as a UFA.  I could be on the worst team in the league and has little hometown fan attendance or I could be a third team in 2 days.  That is a lot of ambiguity for a family man.

players I would try to trade LV for:

C Matthew Perreault 45 Points, >51% FO.  A little over 4 million AAV for 4 years.  

Adam McQuaid- D 2 years 2.75 million AAV left.  Big guy at 6'4.  Could really help a younger guy like McKeown learn the league with a steady stay at home guy paired with him.

Maybe get one of Nashville's exposed wingers in Smith or Wilson at 4 million AAV.

a plethora of options and im just looking at mock expansion drafts

Edited by gocanes0506

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Interesting article referenced by Spector today.  The conversation was with Vegas' GM.  He mentioned trading some of the expansion draft picks because they realistically expect to get all every player that doesn't make the roster through waivers.  Also mentioned potentially trading UFA signings they get during the early signing period. This article really opens up a new avenue for GMRF that I hadn't considered before.

Nice read. That really does open up  more possibilities.

NHL Rumor Mill by Lyle Richardson

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It appears McPhee will be quite busy throughout June attempting to wheel and deal in hopes of stockpiling assets and trying to add better players to his inaugural roster. It’ll be interesting to see what trades he makes and which players he signs in the coming weeks. 

:couch:   TSN:

Spector's Hockey: Frank Seravalli yesterday reported the Vegas Golden Knights and Chicago Blackhawks could be working out a trade ahead of the  June 21 expansion draft. The deal would see the Golden Knights select defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk in the draft on the condition Vegas acquire center Marcus Kruger via trade. Seravalli claims the deal isn’t 100 percent done yet but appears likely. 

TVR wouldn't be a bad get with Kruger.  Too bad he is RFA after this season as well.  GMRF is great but don't want to put that much stress on him

Edited by gocanes0506

4 hours ago, remkin said:

It will be interesting to watch Vegas build an instant team from scratch.

They play their cards right and I seriously think they could be making the playoffs next season...San Jose and Anaheim will be the top two in the Pacific...anything after that is up for grabs.

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

They play their cards right and I seriously think they could be making the playoffs next season...San Jose and Anaheim will be the top two in the Pacific...anything after that is up for grabs.

That would be pretty amazing. To be honest, if that happens then it might make me think that their cards were too generous.

I don't see any chance of LV being close to a playoff team with cast offs, has beens, and not good enoughs.  We mourn the fact that we don't have elite level talent and how hard that is to come by.  How is Vegas going to clear that hurdle in year one?

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

That would be amazing. From what I can find Florida having missed the playoffs by 1 pt in their inaugural year came the closest in the modern expansion era (not counting the 1967 expansion).

On 6/2/2017 at 1:11 AM, AWACSooner said:

Kind of like games in hand......

Who the Hurricanes could lose in the NHL expansion draft

“It has been interesting,” Hurricanes general manager Ron Francis said Friday. “We’ll just have to see what happens and go from there. George McPhee is the one holding all the keys for now. Until he lets us drive ...

Chip goes on to guess forwards Staal, Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Teuvo Teravainen, Brock McGinn and Phil Di Giuseppe, and defensemen Justin Faulk, Ryan Murphy and possibly Trevor Carrick could be the ones protected. Of course we know Darling will be protected.

Ahead of the expansion draft

ARI sends 5th round pick and Brendan Warren (Univ of Michigan) to PHI for Nick Cousins.

ARI also receiving Harvard goalie Merrick Madsen from PHI along with Cousins.

27 minutes ago

Coyotes plan to protect Cousins.

Not exactly a wowzer of a trade but a beginning