The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Ahead of the expansion draft

Not exactly a wowzer of a trade but a beginning

Could kill the possibility of getting a forward like Schenn from Philadelphia. But im not sure how much Cousins saves them in cap space 

• Like 1

OBXer, we would protect Murphy? I see him more as a throw in to make a trade or a buyout. Or our D depth player next year who is healthy scratch for most games. Isn't he the D-man Boychuck?

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

Chip goes on to guess forwards Staal, Jeff Skinner, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Teuvo Teravainen, Brock McGinn and Phil Di Giuseppe, and defensemen Justin Faulk, Ryan Murphy and possibly Trevor Carrick could be the ones protected. Of course we know Darling will be protected.

Further proof that Chip is not invested in his job. We do not have to protect any of McGinn, PDG, or Carrick, because they do not meet the eligibility requirements. Players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt.

From that same (linked) article:

"A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs."

An NHL contract does not include AHL games. It's why guys on two-way deals are paid one salary "at the AHL level" (read: on their AHL contract) and another when they dress with the big club (at which point the NHL deal kicks in).

None of McGinn, PDG or Carrick three has played more than 10 NHL games in a third NHL season (just like none of Slavin, Pesce, or Hanifin has), so they're ineligible for the ExDraft. Vegas simply can't have any of them.

This also explains why they remain unsigned. Since they're RFAs, GMRF doesn't need to concern himself with them until the free agent period begins July 1. He and the rest of the org have more pressing matters to worry about these next ten days.

Head over to amazon.com right away for Chip Alexander's latest book: Mailing It In for Fun and Profit.

Edited by top-shelf-1

7 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

OBXer, we would protect Murphy? I see him more as a throw in to make a trade or a buyout. Or our D depth player next year who is healthy scratch for most games. Isn't he the D-man Boychuck?

Yes he is...two of JR's dumbest draft picks.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Yes he is...two of JR's dumbest draft picks.

JR set this team up pretty well before running off to reap the benefits of his incompetence in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

Just now, realmdrakkar said:

JR set this team up pretty well before running off to reap the benefits of his incompetence in Pittsburgh.

And THAT is the main reason I hate Pittsburgh as much as I do...and it sickens me to no end that he's getting his name on the Cup yet again after the screw job he did to us the last few years.  (my hatred for Malkin and Cindy notwithstanding)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And THAT is the main reason I hate Pittsburgh as much as I do...and it sickens me to no end that he's getting his name on the Cup yet again after the screw job he did to us the last few years.  (my hatred for Malkin and Cindy notwithstanding)

I could only 'like this' once so i'm posting this to say a like it a second time...

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Further proof that Chip is not invested in his job. We do not have to protect any of McGinn, PDG, or Carrick, because they do not meet the eligibility requirements.

This is not true. We have to protect PDG and McGinn if we don't want them picked. Just because we can't use them as the requirement for a signed forward to expose doesn't mean Vegas can't pick them if they are unprotected.

Trades freeze at 3 PM and the protected lists are due at exactly 5PM. But we won't know for sure who's on the list until probably tomorrow some time, and who Vegas takes until Wednesday morning.

That I'm pretty sure of.

After that? You guys have me a bit confused on the whole PDG/McGinn thing. Are they defacto protected? I thought I read PDG was in a slightly different category than McGinn. I know he's been one of m'boy's for a while, but even now I don't really want to lose McGinn. I think he has more upside, but also he lays a hit better than anyone we have. So, is he or PDG exposed?

Also, I think I heard that deals might already be made or agreed to, in terms of "I'll give you this to not pick or to pick a certain guy" type of deals, but not announced yet. If so, Francis might have made some sort of deal w/ Vegas we don't know about yet. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If true he may have paid them off to take Lack for instance, and thus not worried about PDG/McGinn, Stempniak, etc.

Edited by remkin

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We do not have to protect any of McGinn, PDG, or Carrick,

Not entirely true. Lake posted this in another thread

Even though McGinn and PDG don't meet our exposure requirement unless they are re-signed, they're still eligible to be taken by Vegas in the ex-draft unless we use a protection slot on them.  

The expansion draft is a little confusing with all the little side maneuvers and deals being discussed.

I get you don't like Chip but from my perspective he does a pretty good job keeping Canes news in the forefront without much editorializing. Call me old school but in a world with so much editorializing I like to have at least one old school reporter on the Canes beat.

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

It wasn't me that suggested we protect Murphy but from Chip's article. I didn't think Murphy was draft eligible but I can't keep up with all the quirks of the process. It does seem clear Dahlbeck will be our one and only D-man exposed. I guess we will know for sure tomorrow morning.

Who is this Murphy people are talking about? Is he on our team? Are we sure we don't mean Boychuk? Murphy? :letssee:. Can't remember him. Does sound vaguely familiar though.

Edited by remkin

This could be interesting if true. Columbus dispatch is reporting that the Blue Jackets "may" have a deal in place to steer Vegas away from key unprotected players. What is interesting is the reported price for this move: Columbus' first round pick and a "second tier" prospect.  Columbus picks #24. Also, they have no second rounder, so they are pretty much skipping the top of this draft.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/

Another rumor quotes a GM guessing that Vegas already has secured at least 3 first round picks. Seems that could be the price to protect extra players.

No way do we pay that price (I hope).  Probably we don't make that kind of deal w/ Vegas. Though Francis is pretty creative, I can't see us giving up our first rounder. Maybe our first second rounder and a low level prospect, but that would be below the price Columbus is allegedly paying.

Edited by remkin

Really, you give up a first rounder to protect someone who may or may not pan out?  That's a baffling move...

5 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Remkin, I don't think we have anybody that we need to protect that we can't, so we don't need to give up anything.  I think either Cam or Lack are likely the player that gets selected.

I agree with the first part. Not sure about the last though. If Vegas takes Cam or Lack, I'd say we made out like bandits. I'm thinking they take Stemper if we put him out there, but I assumed we'd have to give them a pick or prospect to get them to take one of our goalies. I really hope you're right though!

My main logic behind that is being cap compliant.  No one they pick from us would be in there long term plans (besides perhaps Lack), and all three contracts expire at next season's end.  I'd think they'd take the higher salary on our team to reach the salary floor, while not eating up a bad contract.

If they take either goalie it kills two birds with one stone: we get to keep our forwards, and our goalie triad is fixed :crossfingers: freeing up $3 million more in cap space. Hey Oshie...what's it going to take? We have so much cap space we can't see the floor.

Edited by remkin

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

I would bet that a lot of teams are waiting on the protected list to come out and plan on dealing directly with Vegas.

That does seem more and more likely.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I would also bet that the price for taking on bad contracts is EXTREMELY high right now.

I hope so since we are a team that can take on a bad contract or two

20 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I think teams should ask for the moon to take on bad contracts.  It holds big market teams accountable for dominating the UFA market and driving up player's value.

BINGO!  And I, for one, am firmly against us taking ANY albatross of a contract after the stink JR stuck us with.

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Further proof that Chip is not invested in his job. We do not have to protect any of McGinn, PDG, or Carrick, because they do not meet the eligibility requirements. Players with less than three years of professional experience are automatically exempt.

From that same (linked) article:

"A year of professional experience is 10 pro games played under an NHL contract, including regular season and playoffs."

An NHL contract does not include AHL games. It's why guys on two-way deals are paid one salary "at the AHL level" (read: on their AHL contract) and another when they dress with the big club (at which point the NHL deal kicks in).

None of McGinn, PDG or Carrick three has played more than 10 NHL games in a third NHL season (just like none of Slavin, Pesce, or Hanifin has), so they're ineligible for the ExDraft. Vegas simply can't have any of them.

This also explains why they remain unsigned. Since they're RFAs, GMRF doesn't need to concern himself with them until the free agent period begins July 1. He and the rest of the org have more pressing matters to worry about these next ten days.

Head over to amazon.com right away for Chip Alexander's latest book: Mailing It In for Fun and Profit.

That's wrong.  CapFriendly specifically lists players exempt from the expansion draft and neither McGinn nor PDG fit the bill.

This is copied from the NHL page on rules for expansion:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

This is copied from the official NHL CBA: [under the Free Agent section]

For the purposes of the foregoing, the term "professional season" shall:
(A) for a Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC), and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC).

And players on a two-way NHL contract are under an NHL Standard Player's Contract (SPC) regardless of whether they're playing in the NHL or AHL.  Note that some players are directly under contract with AHL teams instead of with their NHL affiliate.  I know the Chex have signed a couple within the past couple of years.

I think where you're getting crossed up is that the compensation part of the CBA specifies "10 NHL games" for players on an ELC, whereas the criteria for free agency and the expansion draft refers to "professional season", which includes games in the AHL and European Pro leagues if a player is under an NHL teams SPC at the time.  And there's even an age breakdown under the "professional season" definition, with 18-19 yo players needing 11 games for it to count as a season while players older than that need play in just 1 professional game for it to count as a season.

Edited by LakeLivin