The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

WRAL

"We'll be spending Father's Day looking at the list and seeing if there's somebody on the list that we like and having conversations with Vegas at that point about who they may be willing to take and flip and we'll go from there."

Francis also indicated if they can't get the right deal there are good players  in the draft

That's nice...good players in the draft aren't going to help us make the playoffs right now...

I seriously hope he has a better strategy than that.

16 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

CapFriendly specifically lists players exempt from the expansion draft and neither McGinn nor PDG fit the bill.

I think where some of the confusion lies is the idea of drawing up a list of players available from teams. In fact that list is by default as teams don't list players available except to meet the minimum requirement of at least  2 forwards, 1 D-man and a goalie who have met, is it 40 games, I think but whatever criteria.

So a team makes a list of

Protected Players

minimum list of eligible players that meet the criteria

and those ineligible for the draft

The way I read it the remainder of your roster is up for grabs. So for instance if McGinn or Murphy or Carrick are left unprotected they are among players eligble for Vegas to pick if they so desire. But unless RF makes a side deal I can't imagine Vegas passing over Stemper or Nordy but you never know.

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

What I want to know is, who are the two idiot teams?  Seriously...it's not worth it.

Maybe Minnesota?

Or, based on his history, does JR give up the #31 pick in order to retain MAF?:P  I'm being mostly facetious, but in all likelihood, without MAF there Pitt doesn't win the Cup this year.

54 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

That's nice...good players in the draft aren't going to help us make the playoffs right now...

I seriously hope he has a better strategy than that.

Did you not read the quote?  Obviously not.  Here it is again, direct from GMRF:

"We'll be spending Father's Day looking at the list and seeing if there's somebody on the list that we like and having conversations with Vegas at that point about who they may be willing to take and flip and we'll go from there."

Seriously, this wasn't that hard to see coming.

Knowing him, he'd give up #31, one of their top D-prospects AND whomever they picked with their first rounder in 2014...oh wait, he did that to us to get an upper-midlevel center who still hasn't fully lived up to his potential.

The more I think about it the more I see how  giving Vegas a 1st round pick might make sense for certain teams. 

A team that is forced to expose a pretty valuable player and is cap stressed might find it beneficial to give up a late 1st round pick in exchange for keeping the player and dumping a bad contract on Vegas.  In addition to the cap relief, I wonder what the odds are of a late 1st round pick actually reaching the level of the best players that otherwise would be forced to be exposed?

18 minutes ago

Roster freeze is now on and NYR did not make a deal before 3 p.m. ET deadline. Not to say they won't when freeze lifts Thursday 8 a.m ET.

NHL teams can resume trading tomorrow morning at 10 ET only if their trading partner is VGK. Otherwise, no deals/signing until Thurs 8 am ET

1 hour ago

CGY/ARI have agreed to terms on trade involving G Mike Smith and have scheduled a trade call with league, tho nothing official until then.

Assuming trade call gets done, ARI to retain 25 per cent of Smith's salary. CGY will send rights to Brandon Hickey + conditional 3rd rder...

1 hour ago

Chad Johnson also going to Arizona as part of that deal

1 hour ago

Johnson going to ARI is related to expansion draft. ARI needed a goalie to protect. Johnson fits bill:

Well, that was certainly anticlimactic.  For teams with multiple good players they'd need to expose, I can see why it wouldn't make sense to deal a player for less than full value since they'd still lose a different one to Vegas.  But seems like there would probably be at least a few teams with a drop off between the best player they'd have to expose and the rest that came behind him.  In which case a pre ex-draft trade at a slight discount might have made sense. 

Given the paucity of pre expansion draft trades between non-Vegas teams, and the rumors about draft picks headed Vegas' way, I'm surmising that Vegas did a really good job of leveraging their position and a that lot of teams have made handshake deals regarding who Vegas will select in the expansion draft. 

I hope we're one of them, giving up a pick in order for Vegas to select Lack (substitute Ward if you feel strongly about it).  We need to lose a goalie one way or another, and given Lack's salary I don't see him as having much value on the trade market.  I really want to see Stempniak back next year.  Even if RF brings in 2 better scoring forwards than Stempniak, that would still only leave 7 set spots for the 1st 3 lines imo (not counting Stemp).

Pretty sure I heard that the protection lists will be published tomorrow at 10 am.  I wonder if there are some that will provide strong clues regarding advance deals teams have made with Vegas.

8 minutes ago, RonnieFranchise said:

So did I miss anything or did the Canes do nothing?

You didn't miss anything.  I guess RF could have made a handshake deal with Vegas, but we wouldn't know about it until after the expansion draft next week.

Edited by LakeLivin

I have to believe Minnesota is one of the teams that gave up a first to select a specific person.  

It was a little disappointed that a deal wasn't made.  I am guessing that we'll make a deal with LV for an okay winger maybe a third line center.

I don't think the pre-expansion list lack of trades is a surprise.  Most teams would then acquire a player and potentially expose another.  They likely had their lists locked in.  The fun can start tomorrow when everyone gets insight into each team's list.  Days/hours leading to Vegas actually selecting players should trigger more dealing with them in the middle (as RF suggested) and most other GMs seem to want, too.

Working through LV provides an abundance of exposed players that other teams may have always wanted.  Instead of a match with the other team teams can deal with LV as a team with many needs.  I hope there is some wild activity in the days ahead.

More fun can start Thursday at 8am once all teams are free to trade and carry their direct dealings through to Friday's draft.

Edited by Manwolf

1 hour ago, RonnieFranchise said:

So did I miss anything or did the Canes do nothing?

Nobody here knows for sure if you missed anything or not, or that nothing was done. There is always the handshake deal.

Why would a team, knowing they are giving up a player they want to Vegas anyway, trade one they are afraid of losing and risk losing two guys?  This never made sense to me.  So, no real surprise to me things were slow.

Now, when the lists come out, game on.  Speculation on the unprotected players leading up to the ED should be....interesting.  It still isn't going to be easy to get a top-6 forward with so many teams looking around.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

This is not true. We have to protect PDG and McGinn if we don't want them picked. Just because we can't use them as the requirement for a signed forward to expose doesn't mean Vegas can't pick them if they are unprotected.

Not according to the rules, Min, unless I'm totally missing something. The expansion rules state that only players who have at least three years of professional experience are eligible (10 or more NHL games in each of three years, because both are still on their ELCs). Vegas can't pick them not b/c they're unprotected, but because they are not ExDraft eligible.

Both would be subject to the ExDraft's RFA rules; Vegas has 72 hours starting Sunday morning at 10 to SIGN pending RFAs and UFAs. 

Edited by top-shelf-1