The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

So I know some people want Eric's name to stop being talked about like the plague but I've gotta really hard time not mentioning the Wilds 2nd in points guy was left available. So did the Wild also feel that aside from Eric's points he wasn't worth his downsides?

Have fun in Vegas Eric.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We protected Murph?  What a waste!

The other options were Dennis Robertson or Philip Samuelsson and Murph is still only 24yo.  I suspect RF is still hoping Murph might improve to the point that another team might give us something in exchange for him, even if it's used equipment.

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The other options were Dennis Robertson or Philip Samuelsson and Murph is still only 24yo.  I suspect RF is still hoping Murph might improve to the point that another team might give us something in exchange for him, even if it's used equipment.

Well, JR drafted him...maybe we can screw over the Pens for a change and trade him to them.

In other news, the B's protected Riley Nash...I'm surprised.

Edited by AWACSooner

12 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

So I know some people want Eric's name to stop being talked about like the plague but I've gotta really hard time not mentioning the Wilds 2nd in points guy was left available. So did the Wild also feel that aside from Eric's points he wasn't worth his downsides?

Have fun in Vegas Eric.

I'm not so sure E ends up in Vegas.  The Wild also had to leave Dumba and Hanzal unprotected.  And I've heard rumors that they were one of the teams that had arrived at a deal with Vegas to take a player of the Wilds choice.

13 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Hey, I've already spent way too much time on this. 

Wow. Pompous much? 

Thanks for all your hard work Lake. It turns out you were right and I was wrong. I've recorded it here for posterity, so you can print it out, frame it, and put it on your office wall.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I've said for a long time that Murph has value if only b/c he's RHD and was a first-rounder. As an add-on in a deal to a rebuilding team that needs a 5-6 on the right, he could help get back a scoring forward.  

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I've said for a long time that Murph has value if only b/c he's RHD and was a first-rounder.

Absolutely true. When you look at the list and considering you couldn't protect Stemper or Nordy Murphy became a no brainier of those players exposed.  Although for us (fans) his play has fallen way short of expectations he is a young, potentially offensive minded D-man who was a number one pick. There is a certain amount of value in that. You have to protect your assets.

27 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

In other news, the B's protected Riley Nash...I'm surprised.

He was good on the D side of the puck for them, and really liked by their fans. I don't know if he peed in RF's cheerios or what, but he's either found a home up there or is seen as valuable trade bait.

There are some shockers on that list who aren't protected...

Patrick Eaves

Roberto Luongo

Tomas Plekanec

Michael Grabner

Bobby Ryan

Vegas has the chance to really put a good team together

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

There are some shockers on that list

and don't forget MAF although the thought is that the Pens have a side deal with Vegas not to select him. I'm not so sure that's true

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

There are some shockers on that list who aren't protected...

Patrick Eaves

Roberto Luongo

Tomas Plekanec

Michael Grabner

Bobby Ryan

Vegas has the chance to really put a good team together

This also speaks to why protecting Stemp really was not as important as protecting our youth. Old guys who can score are always going to be available in the summer. The question is, when will their wheels fall off? And in a league built for speed, I'm not sure old, slow guys on slow desert ice adds up to wins.

Jaromir Jagr is avialable...he'll be there til he's 105! ;)

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This also speaks to why protecting Stemp really was not as important as protecting our youth. Old guys who can score are always going to be available in the summer. The question is, when will their wheels fall off? And in a league built for speed, I'm not sure old, slow guys on slow desert ice adds up to wins.

• Like 1

As far as goalies, I see Las Vegas picking Fluery(PIT) and Mrazek(DET) as their 1-2 punch in between the pipes. Not sure who their 3rd goalie pick would be. There are a lot of big names unprotected out there.

Who would be the Hurricane player Las Vegas picks?

Edited by hopper915

So somehow we went with protecting both yutes: PDG/McGinn over Stempniak. I guess it better fits the long term plan. Sort of in line with Top's comment, I have to think Francis already has a plan for replacing him and getting the bigger gun too. I hope the plan is more than hoping PDG or McGinn have 40 plus points in them.

I'll say this. While I hate to lose those consistent Stempniak points, I can't imagine giving up a first rounder to keep Stempniak. Now if Vegas would take a late second and pick Lack, that would be a good move....but they seem to be getting better deals than that.

I am a bit surprised about Staal. Given his production, his salary is pretty good. If they are making a deal to keep him, or one of their other good guys exposed, it will have to be a tasty deal. That's a lot to not grab if your Vegas. I'd think they'd get a pretty good deal not to take a guy from Minnesota.

It's been said that Vegas will compile more players than they need, then trade some of them. Might get a Stempniak replacement that way?

One thing I'm feeling confident about is that Francis has a plan.

Edited by remkin

All I can say is that this is gonna be one hell of an interesting couple of weeks for us...between the expansion draft and the first few days of free agency, I fully expect chaos and mayhem to reign.

25 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

As far as goalies, I see Las Vegas picking Fluery(PIT) and Mrazek(DET) as their 1-2 punch in between the pipes. Not sure who their 3rd goalie pick would be. There are a lot of big names unprotected out there.

Who would be the Hurricane player Las Vegas picks?

I would round it off with Raanta. Kids got a ton of upside and I'm surprised the Rangers are sticking with Henrik.

• Like 1

The names that interest me:

the wingers from Nashville, already mentioned.

Josh Anderson- Columbus 6'3 220lb RW that put up 17 goals last year. RFA

McQuaid- Boston, big RHD with a low AAV and 2 years left.  Decent veteran 5th Dmen for us

C Miller- younger version of McQuaid.  Will be a RFA next offseason 

C Soderberg- COL.  had a terrible year for Colorado, like everyone else.  But put up 50 and 41 points the last 2 years, respectively.  Signed for 3 more years at 4.75 AAV

Jokes:

Justin Falk from Buffalo is available, could be fun for announcers and fans

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

So somehow we went with protecting both yutes: PDG/McGinn over Stempniak. I guess it better fits the long term plan. Sort of in line with Top's comment, I have to think Francis already has a plan for replacing him and getting the bigger gun too. I hope the plan is more than hoping PDG or McGinn have 40 plus points in them.

I'll say this. While I hate to lose those consistent Stempniak points, I can't imagine giving up a first rounder to keep Stempniak. Now if Vegas would take a late second and pick Lack, that would be a good move....but they seem to be getting better deals than that.

I am a bit surprised about Staal. Given his production, his salary is pretty good. If they are making a deal to keep him, or one of their other good guys exposed, it will have to be a tasty deal. That's a lot to not grab if your Vegas. I'd think they'd get a pretty good deal not to take a guy from Minnesota.

It's been said that Vegas will compile more players than they need, then trade some of them. Might get a Stempniak replacement that way?

One thing I'm feeling confident about is that Francis has a plan.

Other possibilities:

• RF couldn't reach an agreement with either McGinn or PDF before now.  I could see both stonewalling until after the protection lists were due in order to avoid the risk of Vegas.  Exposing Stemp isn't exactly like exposing Faulk, so perhaps RF didn't feel pressured to force the issue with all of the other things he's presumably working on. 
  • As you say, RF has a handshake deal with Vegas so Stemp really isn't at risk.
  • I wonder what the odds are that Vegas chooses Nordy over Stemp?  Stemp clearly seems to be more valuable to the Canes right now, but take a look at it from Vegas' perspective.  Nordy is only 25yo, less than half the price, and he's a pending RFA after next season as compared to Stemp, who will be a UFA.  Vegas has to view Stemp as a 1 year rental whereas Nordy could have a longer career with Vegas if they see enough potential in him. 

As with many other issues, I'd love to know the actual details of what RF is thinking and doing.

On Staal:  there have been rumors that several teams have offered a significant return (1st, plus prospect, plus perhaps even more) to not take certain exposed players.  If true, Minn seems to be one of the most likely culprits.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I hope the plan is more than hoping PDG or McGinn have 40 plus points in them.

I think to a certain extent we're valuing points too much--or maybe it's more accurate to say we're relying a little too much on past performance as an indicator of future production.

At some point Stemp (or Versteeg, or whatever over-30 stopgap we're talking about) is going to get overtaken, production wise, by our youth. IMO we're closer to that point than we've been in a long, long time, with guys like Aho, Lindholm, Rask, and TT showing that they're figuring it out. PDG and McGinn may or may not, but yeah, you don't sacrifice that youth and potential to hang onto Stemp. 

We absolutely need a top scorer/playmaker, but I don't think it's as straightforward as saying, "we're losing this many points if this guy is gone, so we have to find them and more from somebody we haven't yet acquired." As I've said before, this team managed to play as well last year without its supposed franchise player as it did with him. That is an easy-to-overlook fact that tells me the steps our top youngsters are taking are already producing on-ice synergy like we haven't seen before. Better goaltending will only enhance that, so getting the right guy (or two, if in fact Stemp heads to Tinsel Town) this off-season should go much further than merely replacing the lost points of a particular guy.

It's great to be this excited about this team again. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

So somehow we went with protecting both yutes: PDG/McGinn over Stempniak.

There was never a choice between protecting the yutes over Stemper.  We had to leave two forwards exposed that met the minimum criteria. The only way to protect Stemper would of been to trade for a forward to expose that met the requirement.. Of course that would of left one of DiGi or Ginner off the protected list also because we wouldn't have enough slots to protect both.

So I think under the current roster the only was to protect Stemper was to expose somebody like Skinner or Lindy or etc.  I don't think we wanted to do that.

Now if Vegas will make a side deal that is reasonable perhaps we keep Stemper or Nordy