The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2017 Expansion Draft

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Yes very true. Thanks to our favorite GM.

We could sell it to him as a chance to go to Colorado and smoke all the dope he wants ;)

22 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'd take one of their guys for the right deal but I think its a huge risk to take on anymore then that. I'd hate to see their locker room woes spread like a disease into the Canes locker room. I think changing 1 bad attitude is doable in a good environment but I worry 3 could flip the Canes locker room. 

To be honest I think it was an organizational mindset that brought them all down.  Much like one here from 13-16 that really brought our production down.  Players didn't feel either supported, appreciated, like the organization wanted to win, etc.  I would say if its one player then they are having issues but when its a a majority of players, its an organization issue.  If we were to add big name players, it would boost the morale of our players.  Any addition would also benefit from an upbeat locker room atmosphere.   

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

To be honest I think it was an organizational mindset that brought them all down.  Much like one here from 13-16 that really brought our production down.

Are you talking about "He Who Shall Not Be Named"?  If so, he flamed out again in Montreal, so don't put that evil on us.

From a TSN.ca article: http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-who-s-got-a-deal-with-vegas-1.782732

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild have all been in talks with the Golden Knights to protect players beyond their protected lists, but have been unable to strike a deal.

The New York Islanders (reported to be parting with a first-round pick), Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets (also reportedly giving up a first-round pick) and Chicago Blackhawks (sending Marcus Kruger and Trevor van Riemsdyk to Vegas) all are reported to have deals in place with the Golden Knights.

LeBrun believes the Panthers, Senators, Predators and Wild will all continue to try to make a trade before Wednesday's draft.

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

From a TSN.ca article: http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-who-s-got-a-deal-with-vegas-1.782732

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports the Florida Panthers, Ottawa Senators, Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild have all been in talks with the Golden Knights to protect players beyond their protected lists, but have been unable to strike a deal.

The New York Islanders (reported to be parting with a first-round pick), Anaheim Ducks, Columbus Blue Jackets (also reportedly giving up a first-round pick) and Chicago Blackhawks (sending Marcus Kruger and Trevor van Riemsdyk to Vegas) all are reported to have deals in place with the Golden Knights.

LeBrun believes the Panthers, Senators, Predators and Wild will all continue to try to make a trade before Wednesday's draft.

:popcorn:

As much as I like Stemper and Nordy and I do a first round pick to steer Vegas away from them seems unwise to me.  I think the same for Vegas to pick Lack. Although true we have one too many goalies RF can move one of them later if he needs. 

45 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Are you talking about "He Who Shall Not Be Named"?  If so, he flamed out again in Montreal, so don't put that evil on us.

Its outside the scope of the thread but: This was more in reference to players being ok with the status quo and little accountability among players because of years of making a team out of spare parts and recycling players.  Some of the players saw the organization really didn't care about winning and gave efforts to match. It may have started before but that is when I noticed it. This also could be a super long discussion but I will cut it off here.

it seemed to turn around some when the team saw it could win with who we had on the ice.  It should get a boost with a hard playing Darling. The team needs a big acquisition to boost morale as much as the fans do.  

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

One interesting speculation I read is that Vegas corners the goaltender market by taking Fleury, Grubauer, Mrazek, and Raanta.   They keep two and flip the other two for perhaps inflated returns.  That might not be a bad strategy at all, but it wouldn't seem to bode well for Lack ending up in Vegas.  :(

Heard on XM this morning that they may even take 5 goalies and try and flip them.

That leaves 5 teams that need a backup goalie, which opens the door for RF to extricate himself from the 3 goalie problem.  We don't have to have Vegas take our guy to rid ourselves of one of them.

Appears that Vegas is handling their position brilliantly.  Have they revolutionized the expansion draft process?

from another TSN article:  http://www.tsn.ca/live/talent/mcphee-ready-for-bidding-war-on-exposed-players-1.782401

"McPhee said he had already started to receive calls from GMs on Sunday morning after the lists were revealed with inquiries about prices to acquire an exposed player from another team through Vegas."

"It’s a bidding war in which Vegas, the middle man, is the winner no matter what - with three whole days to watch the offers get better.  “People have identified people on other clubs they’d like to have,” McPhee said. “We have to establish value for that, and whatever you want to give us has to be better than what we can claim from that club. That is starting to happen.”

"In other words, not only will teams need to pay a price to Vegas to keep their own player, but they will have to meet or exceed the value offered to Vegas from another club at the same time."

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

the thought of the Skins, Aho, & Duchene on the same line is exciting and scary at the same time, so I split them up.

Crazy Joe Devola, er, Sakic, found out during the season that he's not getting what he wants. But what he needs is D, a veteran forward, and cap space. But you're probably right that he's won't budge. You can't fix stupid.

As for the above, yeah, that line is too small. You gotta have a Scog-sized/hitting winger, preferably on every line.

Edited by top-shelf-1

8 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

Pump the brakes boys...Staal has a NMC, no way he allows a trade to Colorado.

He might if his brother goes too. It would sure help the Av's cap situation.

Edited by top-shelf-1

And more on Vegas' strategy from this article: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/with-expansion-draft-lists-set-mcphee-listening-to-offers-for-additional-protection

“We're going to go to that club and say, 'We have interest in this player. There's another club that has interest in this player. How do we want to do this? And how can we protect your roster?’ ” McPhee said, according to NHL.com’s Mike Cranston.  “You can negotiate your way out of this if you wish. Every team in this league has a chance to protect their roster. We will not make a claim with any club before we talk to the club.”

. . .

"Throughout the expansion process, and well before fans had even the faintest idea what the rules would be surrounding the draft, McPhee made it clear that the Golden Knights would be built with drafting and developing as their primary focus. McPhee said as much at his introductory press conference, has continued to hint at it leading up to the announcement of the protection lists, reportedly has picks-for-protection deals in place and again reiterated that he’s willing to listen to offers when it comes to keeping players protected ahead of Wednesday’s official selections."

---------------------------------------------

No doubt McPhee is the busiest GM in the league right now.  Anyone wanna bet against him also being the least popular at this point, lol?

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

No doubt McPhee is the busiest GM in the league right now.  Anyone wanna bet against him also being the least popular at this point, lol?

That's kind of how it hits me too, Lake. The expansion draft has given McPhee a gun to point at each team's head and ask what it will take for him not to pull the trigger? Better to be on his side of the gun, but doesn't make you like the guy robbing you.

It appears that our situation makes our gun more of a bb gun. Some of this is luck but some is smart positioning by Francis.

I am also interested in watching the whole thing play out, but my focus is always on us, so I'm more curious to see how, if at all, we are able to leverage this. Seems like more like minimizing damage than we actually come out with something from the expansion draft. I guess the exception would be if we want an unprotected guy, but we'd be bidding with Vegas, the team that has him and the rest of the league for that guy. Somehow it seems like we end up sitting this period out until Vegas submits and we move on to the next phase. This is just me speculating. Am I missing something? I don't see us making moves till this part is over.

Edited by remkin

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

That's kind of how it hits me too, Lake. The expansion draft has given McPhee a gun to point at each team's head and ask what it will take for him not to pull the trigger? Better to be on his side of the gun, but doesn't make you like the guy robbing you.

It appears that our situation makes our gun more of a bb gun. Some of this is luck but some is smart positioning by Francis.

I am also interested in watching the whole thing play out, but my focus is always on us, so I'm more curious to see how, if at all, we are able to leverage this. Seems like more like minimizing damage than we actually come out with something from the expansion draft. I guess the exception would be if we want an unprotected guy, but we'd be bidding with Vegas, the team that has him and the rest of the league for that guy. Somehow it seems like we end up sitting this period out until Vegas submits and we move on to the next phase. This is just me speculating. Am I missing something? I don't see us making moves till this part is over.

I agree.  Seems like Vegas has monopolized what could have been an opportunity for certain teams (like us) to take advantage of other teams misfortunes.  From a non-Vegas perspective, isn't it now more similar to a UFA situation with teams having to bid against one another in order to make a deal?  Minus the need to get the player to agree to come to your team, of course.

It seems like it would have been a good idea to require an expansion team to keep all of the players it drafts until January 1 at least.  The expansion draft is meant to stock a new team with some talent, not this blackmail thing that it seems to have become.

arrogant-job-interview.png?02ac26

1 minute ago, super_dave_1 said:

It seems like it would have been a good idea to require an expansion team to keep all of the players it drafts until January 1 at least.  The expansion draft is meant to stock a new team with some talent, not this blackmail thing that it seems to have become.

arrogant-job-interview.png?02ac26

It wouldn't surprise me if they incorporate something along those lines into the next expansion draft.  I'm guessing that not many foresaw this particular strategy.   

super_dave, that and the feeling gradually bubbling up from several posters is where I'm at in the way this is playing out. Just curious, who amongst you on here have been through these expansion drafts, and have they been conscripted like this one, as I can't believe that the league of "intelligent" owners and others set this up to allow one person to, in effect, be a modern day tsar, and hold virtually all 30 other GM's hostage to his whims. Got to imagine there will be a big time backlash for this GM, as well as the team?,     

6 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I think Fleury wants to move now that he is not their #1...imho! He is ready for a new start and Vegas is just his ticket.

There was an article right after the Penguins parade on NHL.com which was basically titled "Fleury says goodbyes to teammates", so yeah I think there is very little chance he stays in Pittsburgh.

There were some quotes from teammates talking about him as if he is already gone so...

I know some say he is a head case but apparently he is very well liked. I think it was Dumoulin that said he would "follow that guy around every day" if he could because he is just a great guy/positive to be around. 

The article was actually kind of sad as Fleury reportedly kept tearing up and said "obviously I'm having a hard time with this."

Still, as noted above he said that he just loves to play the game and is looking to be a starter again so...

As a side note, with all of these names being thrown around it wouldn't surprise me if we signed a guy like Hanzel to be our 3C. That seems to be the level that the Canes reach for/are able to get. The big name guys just never end up here. Maybe this year will be different, but I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I still view us as rebuilding and I'm not keen on parting with any of our top 4 d-men, why create a hole to fill a hole. Nor do I want to move a guy like Fleury who I think has a chance to be good, but I realize you have to give to get. Parting with picks and some other prospects I have no issue with.

Also, with all of the talk about forwards, I'm just as concerned about addressing our bottom pairing on defense, but I think that will be addressed.

Sorry for the long post, just throwing some stuff out there.

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

There was an article right after the Penguins parade on NHL.com which was basically titled "Fleury says goodbyes to teammates", so yeah I think there is very little chance he stays in Pittsburgh.

There were some quotes from teammates talking about him as if he is already gone so...

I know some say he is a head case but apparently he is very well liked. I think it was Dumoulin that said he would "follow that guy around every day" if he could because he is just a great guy/positive to be around. 

The article was actually kind of sad as Fleury reportedly kept tearing up and said "obviously I'm having a hard time with this."

Still, as noted above he said that he just loves to play the game and is looking to be a starter again so...

. . .

Like him or not, you've got to admit that MAF handled the whole situation with Matt Murray with a lot of class.

A couple of things based on what I've heard and read over the day.

1. This expansion draft is much different than previous ones. Simply put, the NHL wants Vegas to succeed. Also, they paid the NHL like $500 million entry fee, so the NHL can't just force them to take the utter dregs of the league, which is what, apparently happened in past expansions. So Vegas is getting a much better hand to play than previous expansion teams (see what I did there?). :P

2. Boomer made the point on XM that even though this is a more generous expansion, teams still get to protect their 11 best players AND their prospects. He expanded it to say it seems nuts to trade a first round pick to keep your 11th best skater, not including your best prospects, especially on a non playoff team.

From my perspective certain GM's are doing it for secondary reasons. ie NYI need to show Tavares that they are going to improve soon, so he'll sign. So they want to be able to trade the guy they are protecting, and make other moves now to put a better team out there THIS year. If it is a pick this year they are trading, then the NYI picking #15, is a relatively high pick. But say Nashville or Ottawa, are practically second rounders, they pick so late.

3. Arizona just traded M Smith and his $4.5 million salary to Calgary. Arizona can't even see the cap floor. Wonder if they'd want Cam or Lack? Package that into some sort of deal that swaps our picks and we could move up to #7. Hey, even if we trade it, it would be worth more.

4. The more I think about it the more it might make more sense for Vegas, from their perspective, to take Nordstrom. I doubt they can flip Stempniak for much at the trade deadline, maybe a second rounder. Stempniak might help them more this year, but that's it. Nordstrom can be a valuable, inexpensive guy for years. If we didn't need scoring so bad, we'd be better off keeping Nordstrom. I think our needs are to keep Stemp if possible, but Vegas might be better off with Nordstrom. Could be interesting to see who they pick.

5. McPhee said teams have till midnight tonight to call and make him an offer. Boomer said, "I'd lose that number." If I'm Francis, I would too.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

.....5. McPhee said teams have till midnight tonight to call and make him an offer. Boomer said, "I'd lose that number." If I'm Francis, I would too.

Yep, he's totally overplayed his hand.  While there is a trade freeze until Thursday at 8am there is NOT a muzzle on all other GMs.  They could talk directly right now and trigger the deal Thursday.

RF is a classy guy.  IMO he would (as any GM should) call the other GM and say I'm interested in your unprotected guy.  I wouldn't EVER speak to a fellow GM (who I always may deal with afterwards) through McPhee about that GM's player. I'd make LV an offer, but thats it.  I'd also be calling McPhee's bluff with an option to get the guy I want later.  If McPhee shared my offer with the other GM I'd never deal with him again.

Can you imagine RF talking to JR through McPhee?  Me either.

I'm getting nervous.  I have this gut feeling that we are going to have a lackluster offensive team next year.  If we lose Stemp it gets significantly worse and becomes an even higher hill to climb.  I hope we make a move but I'm just not seeing one.  Given what we need. 

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm getting nervous.  I have this gut feeling that we are going to have a lackluster offensive team next year.  If we lose Stemp it gets significantly worse and becomes an even higher hill to climb.  I hope we make a move but I'm just not seeing one.  Given what we need. 

I think that if we lose Stemp, RF will definitely be able to find someone to replace him. We have quite a few options, and RF is a really smart GM. I have to admit that I'm not sure we'll have the high-scoring team that everybody is hoping for. I get the sense that we may be average to slightly below average when it comes to goal-scoring next season, but our defense and goaltending will make up for it.

16 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I know some say he is a head case but apparently he is very well liked. 

I've never heard of ANYONE talking about MAF as a head case...now #87 and #71?  They're certifiable!

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm getting nervous.  I have this gut feeling that we are going to have a lackluster offensive team next year.  

Dude, just change your avatar to Eeyore and get it over with, willya? Here, I'll help you out:

c22dd4376c7b9668be105867a86900ef--sad-fa

NOTE TO THE COMEDICALLY CHALLENGED: THIS IS INTENDED GOOD-NATUREDLY.