The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
realmdrakkar

Mike Vellucci named Checkers head coach

I know very little about him, but naming the guy who oversees player development as the coach for your top developmental team doesn't seem like a bad move, if he can coach.  And the fact he was named OHL coach of the year in 2006 tells me he probably can.

from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Vellucci#Coaching_record

Michael George Vellucci (born August 11, 1966, in Farmington, Michigan) is a retired professional ice hockey player. As assistant general manager and director of hockey operations with the Carolina Hurricanes, Vellucci oversees scouting and player development for the Hurricanes. Previously, he was the head coach and general manager of the Plymouth Whalers in the Ontario Hockey League for 14 seasons.[1]

He coached the Plymouth Whalers from 2001 to 2008, winning the Matt Leyden Trophy as OHL Coach of the Year in 2007 becoming the first American to win, the same season he led the Whalers to the J. Ross Robertson Cup and a berth in the 2007 Memorial Cup.[3] He was also named the OHL’s Coach of the Year and Executive of the Year in 2012–13. Vellucci stepped down as head coach of the Whalers in December 2007, as he wanted more time to concentrate on his general manager duties, and he was replaced by Greg Stefan. Stefan coached the club until November 2008, when he resigned to take a job with the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL, and Vellucci took over the coaching reins once again.

Edited by LakeLivin

I guess I've asked as it finally seemed to me, with very little insight into the Checkers, that we finally had concurrence between coaching philosophies of the 2 teams, AHL and NHL. Naively, I believe this is critical to weather the inevitable storms of injury suffered in the big club. Several years in the past this did not seem to be the case? Therefore, I guess my ultimate question becomes, not what cred our AHL coach has, but does his instructions seamlessly fit in with Peters'?

33 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I guess I've asked as it finally seemed to me, with very little insight into the Checkers, that we finally had concurrence between coaching philosophies of the 2 teams, AHL and NHL. Naively, I believe this is critical to weather the inevitable storms of injury suffered in the big club. Several years in the past this did not seem to be the case? Therefore, I guess my ultimate question becomes, not what cred our AHL coach has, but does his instructions seamlessly fit in with Peters'?

Well if his coaching philosophy doesn't fit with Peters, then i'd be more concerned about his Asst. GM role than farm club coach role.