Sign in to follow this  
winger52

Will Vegas be the bottom?

Will Vegas be the bottom?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Welcome to the newest team, but how bad/ good will they be? Flip a coin, throw a dart, put on the strainer helmet and tune into the cosmos.

• Yes, Number 31
    • No, 30 or better

Welcome to the newest team, the Las Vegas Knights.! At the end of the season will they be number 31, or will they be better ?

Edited by winger52
content

It really depends on how they handle the expansion draft.

1. If they take everyone's picks to take no names, yes they do end at the bottom.

2. Do they go aggressive and take the best talent, they could finish 18-29 depending on how everyone gels.  

3.  Do they take a bunch of young talent and tradeable assets in the draft?  Trade a decent amount of the talent for almost league ready talent.  They could finish 25-31 depending on who they keep and how their talent does.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait until after the picks but I can predict that the team will soon become known as Loss Vegas

• Like 1

See, as great of a boost as I have to suspect the league was trying to give this new franchise, and personally, as I've posted elsewhere, I despise how they made LVGM the central broker in this expansion draft, I think getting this wide array of personalities together as a "team" has no way for them to gel for the next year or 2, or even more?

They'll be near the bottom, but #31? I wouldn't predict that.

If I'm Vegas, I pulling a Francis and trying to convert as many guys into first rounders this year and next. Build it through the entry draft. I'd even compile some second rounders in this thing if I could.

Vegas fans will be pumped to have a team at first. Then they will need to start building something. Despite all of our debate about the outliers, most really good teams got that way BY being bad for a while. If I'm Vegas, I want high draft picks. They are going to get a VERY good player at #6. This draft may not have a Conner McDavid, but there are some really good players near the top. BUT, really, Vegas almost needs to finish near the bottom. The new tank busting lottery does not reward being #31, but they really should almost plan to be in the bottom 5. Position. Cap space. Young studs coming up. They could be very competitive in a few years.

But as much as it pains us to see them in a better position than past expansion teams, they are still trying to build a team out of other team's 11th or 12th best skaters. They can only be so good. They will not have the scoring. LIke most bottom dwellers they won't have a 1C. They have to draft that guy, and may not get him at #6 (I think they can, but still).  There are a few exceptions of scorers on the list, but probably not enough. And those guys are mostly short term if they go that way anyway. So they pick Eric Staal and James Neal and Stempniak and try to be competitive, then still miss the playoffs, miss picking at the top of the draft next year, and watch some of them go to UFA?

No. Compile picks during the honeymoon period. Let yourself be bad for a couple of years. Position yourself. Compile picks, maybe even prospects. Fold in a few vets in picks and UFA as you get better. Build it right.

Edited by remkin

At first blush it's easy to conclude that the Vegas experiment should be a total flop, but this is the one team that can get away being really, really bad, because there is a constant influx/exodus of hockey fans coming and going. If they're awful, visiting fans of other teams will flock to see a beatdown. If they're good and beat down the visitors' teams, hey, there's slot machines and card tables in the freakin' arena.

How good will they be this year? Hey, the Flyers won their division in their first year. It's all about how their picks gel, but like others, I'm waiting to see who those picks are.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I actually believe that, if they can pull the talent we think they'll pull from both the expansion draft and regular draft, they have a legit shot of pulling off the 8th seed in the West next season...because of how crappy the Pacific Division is projected to be.  It'll be a two-horse race between Anaheim and Edmonton for the top two seeds...with Sharkies hot on their heels.  After that, it could be anyone's game.  LA is NOT going to get any better, and I think the ship has sailed on them...besides, they're now handcuffed by a bunch of really bad contracts from their two Cup wins.  Arizona is a work in progress.  Vancouver will continue to suck.  Calgary might finally get some decent goaltending, but will still be a bubble team.

I see Vegas finishing with about 75-80 points realistically....which is pretty respectable for a rookie campaign.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I predicted they woukd be good.  So as always all things end with BD58 and BD58 is always right.

I have to say that it is a bit ironic that BD58 is always right, but misspelled would. Hey, I misspell things all the time, but then I'm not always right.

As deliciously ironic as that misspelling was (to me anyway), I have to ask one last time that people not resort to name calling. PLEASE report posts rather than encouraging them by responding. Give us moderators a chance to evaluate before posting things that force us to come down on the retorters rather than the instigators.

On BD's post above, I took it as a sort of joking false bravado, intended or not. Anyway, posts with little content that are intended to get an emotional response are trolling posts. If they are reported, and the mods agree, we will take action. But we also need to enforce the personal attack rule so, retorts end up subjecting the retorting poster to moderation.

• Like 1

Am I missing here where fat stacks predicted Vegas would be good?  It isn't in this thread, and I certainly don't intend to look through every thread. 

That is fair criticism. Also, Fat Stacks "liked" the post calling him Fat Stacks, so I think that name has been approved by him and therefore not considered a personal attack.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Am I missing here where fat stacks predicted Vegas would be good?  It isn't in this thread, and I certainly don't intend to look through every thread. 

Since when am.i required to post everything that I am thinking and/or predicting?

Edited by bluedevil58

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Since when am.i required to post everything that I am thinking and/or predicting?

I'm thinking about something right now.  Care to predict what it is?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

:rofl:  Image result for johnny carson carnac gif

Edited by slapshot02

20 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Yes and when you decide to act on what you're thinking.  Everyone will accept you for who you are.  Good luck. 

3 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Yes and when you decide to act on what you're thinking.  Everyone will accept you for who you are.  Good luck. 

Is that Nietzsche?

49 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Whoa, I like the many faces of SD.  I don't know which one s/he really is.  SD, my appeal is PLEASE don't decide, just keep on thinking (for now).

To stay on point, I'm not sure Vegas was the bottom.  Not that it matters.