The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Trade: TVR and 7th round pick to Canes for later 2nd round pick

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Until details come out on the entire thing, not sure I'd be that smug about dealings so far?

What do you mean?  A late 2nd, a 5th rounder, and Brinkley for TVR and a 7th rounder.  Would Chicago even do that deal without an obligatory player draft in there?  Based on what other teams had to give up to get certain players chosen, how is francis not doing a great job?

Edited by gocanes0506

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

Not implying that RF is not doing a Great job, just unwilling to use the phrase " is owning LV" until the full details are known.

All of it is there except if its the 52 or 62nd pick.  Either way its a good trade.  

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

What do you mean?  A late 2nd, a 5th rounder, and Brinkley for TVR and a 7th rounder.  Would Chicago even do that deal without an obligatory player draft in there?  Based on what other teams had to give up to get certain players chosen, how is francis not doing a great job?

It's better than that. Don't forget that they passed on either Stemp or Nordy, so in essence it's like one of them came back Carolina's way in the deal as well.

Let's say Vegas was more interested in youth (Nordy) than likely immediate contributions (Stemp).

Canes get: Nordy, TVR, 7th

Vegas gets: Brickley (who will be a UFA in a couple of days), late 2nd, 5th

Still seems like we owe Vegas, lol.  Could there be another part of the overall deal with Vegas that's not yet been announced?  If not, brilliantly played RF!

Edited by LakeLivin

gocanes, Don't you think it a little strange that probably the oddest occurrence in yesterday's ex-draft was LVGM settling for Brinkley of those he could get from us? Taking that into consideration, I just think that there must be other "considerations" at play, not what we immediately see. I mean LVGM McPhee certainly displayed tremendous acumen in all moves he made, that for the life of me I just can't envision him overlooking this detail and letting us off the hook, so to speak, as lightly as he did. Thus my rejoiner to not get too confident of our position as being overwhelmingly owning anyone until all is said and done? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

I'm with KJUN.  Masterfully played so far, and if it's over and done and everything has already been made public, then RF pulled a major coup.  I'm just not holding my breath on there not being some detail we haven't heard about yet, because it all seems too good to be true.  And in my experience anything that seems too good to be true...

Everything i've seen so far says all trades are known.  So unless GMRF has a major brain fart and trades something to LV for nothing, all details are released.

12 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Everything i've seen so far says all trades are known.  So unless GMRF has a major brain fart and trades something to LV for nothing, all details are released.

OK, have it your own way but "all trades are known" is exactly the point. I simply choose to reserve my final judgement until Oct. 7 to see how far this is going. I mean, RF has repeatedly shown that he is a masterful Poker/Chess player, and I for one don't think we've seen his entire hand. I certainly didn't mean to get you so worked up, but have a nice day.

Edited by KJUNKANE

I know it's been discussed that TVR would be flipped for more offense, but I think this quote from RF shoots that theory down:

“As a right-handed defenseman, Trevor fills an immediate need in our lineup,” said Francis.“He has obviously already experienced success in Chicago, and now will be another good, young piece on our blueline.”

Don't see why RF would produce a quote/comment like that for TVR otherwise. Who knows though...

If TVR stays he will need to eat a whole bunch of hushpuppies to put weight on his 188 pound 6'2" body. At 6'2" he would be a harder D man to play against if he weighed about 210.

1 minute ago, raleighcaniac said:

If TVR stays he will need to eat a whole bunch of hushpuppies to put weight on his 188 pound 6'2" body. At 6'2" he would be a harder D man to play against if he weighed about 210.

Roddy and Gauthier need to get a hold of him this offseason 

40 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

That reminds me, when we drafted Pesce he was something like 6'3" and 168 lbs.  Literally.  :lol:

Trevor was pretty bad in the playoffs this year.. i'd hold the back slapping on how great or "owning" anything this is- He is a functional right handed defenseman, a 5th- 6th defenseman.. not exactly someone you would call "owning" another team for getting.. esp as blackhawks left him exposed tells you they didn't exactly value him... heck trevor wasn't even drafted 2 years ago.. he was an undrafted rookie

Edited by canes2017
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Pretty sure TVR is RHD to replace someone going out to bring in offense. Pesce? We should know by tomorrow night. 

Not sure trevor's 5 goals any kind of offense to replace anyone.. just saying.. think more about getting "balanced" on defense with another right handed player

10 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Trevor was pretty bad in the playoffs this year.. i'd hold the back slapping on how great or "owning" anything this is- He is a functional right handed defenseman, a 5th- 6th defenseman.. not exactly someone you would call "owning" another team for getting.. esp as blackhawks left him exposed tells you they didn't exactly value him... heck trevor wasn't even drafted 2 years ago.. he was an undrafted rookie

I've seen similar sentiment in a couple other places today.  Regardless, we just got a 3RHD who's an upgrade over Murphy and who cost all of our 3rd of 3 2nd-rounders.  We all knew Tennyson wasn't going to be back.  I'll still take it.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

I've seen similar sentiment in a couple other places today.  Regardless, we just got a 3RHD who's an upgrade over Murphy and who cost all of our 3rd of 3 2nd-rounders.  We all knew Tennyson wasn't going to be back.  I'll still take it.

Oh do not mind having him- just saying he isn't "all that and a bag of chips"... many Blackhawk fans glad to see him gone- he has many defenses lapses that drove them crazy..and only some real good goaltending didn't make it worse..I'm just saying this is an "ok" move for a lower player, not something that shows a GM got over on another team.. heck one could say how "smart" vegas is for getting a pick for an undrafted defenseman who is a f/a next year :shifty:

3 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Oh do not mind having him- just saying he isn't "all that and a bag of chips"... many Blackhawk fans glad to see him gone- he has many defenses lapses that drove them crazy..and only some real good goaltending didn't make it worse..I'm just saying this is an "ok" move for a lower player, not something that shows a GM got over on another team.. heck one could say how "smart" vegas is for getting a pick for an undrafted defenseman who is a f/a next year :shifty:

I don't think you can look at the TVR trade in isolation.  I've got to believe that it was the 2nd part of a 2 part deal whereby Vegas agreed to take Brickley instead of Stemp or Nordy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think you can look at the TVR trade in isolation.  I've got to believe that it was the 2nd part of a 2 part deal whereby Vegas agreed to take Brickley instead of Stemp or Nordy.

Maybe... not sure we will ever know that though...or why Vegas would be so 'nice' to canes.. vegas still an enigma on what trying to do.. or how they are ever going to get to that $55 million cap floor when except for neal and fluery didn't really take on much salary so far..