The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trade and FA signings

Kovalchuk will return to KHL for one more season, Post has learned. Will become free agent next 7/1. Am told NJ made effort to make deal.

Truth be told, I doubt NJ did much to facilitate his return.  I know I wouldn't have.  When you take your hockey puck and run home, stay there.  After walking away from his NHL contract and putting his team in a bind, he wants to come back when the KHL is having financial trouble.  I'm good with letting him stay there and deal with the issue.

I do not think that there is any collusion, but I do get the feeling that NHL owners and GM's are getting more and more tired of Russians using the KHL as leverage and actually losing key players to that league. Here it was probably not wanting to have to trade someone for him, combined with the Russian factor, but it will be interesting to see what he gets offered next year as a free agent.  The last few years Russian draft picks have dropped like rocks. This year Klim Kostin, once put in the top 5 by some scouts, fell all the way to #31. He had a shoulder injury, but the Russian thing undoubtedly pushed him further down. 

I still can't get the image of Semin smoking a cig at the blueline while the play went on at the other end without him out of my head.  I may have anti-Russian bias for a long, long, while.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

So it's official, McDavid 8 years $100 million, $12.5million AAV.

Looks like he gave Edmonton a home town discount. :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I do not think that there is any collusion, but I do get the feeling that NHL owners and GM's are getting more and more tired of Russians using the KHL as leverage and actually losing key players to that league.

Just read an article about the Kuznetsov re-signing and the Capitals GM basically said that Kuznetsov's agent used the possibility of going to the KHL for the next two years and then becoming a free agent as leverage.

The GM said this forced him to make a choice between re-signing Kuznetsov and trading Johansson.

As a GM this would really piss me off and is another example of what you noted above.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I still can't get the image of Semin smoking a cig at the blueline while the play went on at the other end without him out of my head.  I may have anti-Russian bias for a long, long, while.

And the cig was after he had a quick pirozhki.

http://md-akc.med.nhl.com/mp4/nhl/2017/07/05/91cdf886-9af6-4a68-89ca-6ba1f339ec16/1499286836113/asset_1800k.mp4   Interesting talk with RF and Kruger. Kruger feels he could contribute more in the offense category. RF states Marcus was given tough assignments and served in the shutdown role and he may have more opportunities here than he had in Chicago.  We may be calling him Kruger the Luger.

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I will I'll never forget that.  I thought he was waiting for the bus.