The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

Top F - UFA by Goals & Points are:          AGE   Position               GP  G     A    P     +/-         TOI                      2016-2017 Salary          Cap Hit

1. Patrick Marleau San Jose Sharks   UFA 37 LW, C   82 27 19 46 4
17:09
- - - - -   $6,500,000 $6,666,667
2. Justin Williams Washington Capitals   UFA 35 RW   80 24 24 48 14
15:28
- - - - -   $3,250,000 $3,250,000
3. Radim Vrbata Arizona Coyotes   UFA 36 RW   81 20 35 55 -18
16:53
- - - - -   $1,000,000 $1,000,000
4. Martin Hanzal Minnesota Wild   UFA 30 C   71 20 19 39 -17
18:35
- - - - -   $3,500,000 $3,100,000
5. Mike Fisher Nashville Predators   UFA 37 C   72 18 24 42 1
16:37
- - - - -   $4,000,000 $4,400,000
6. Sam Gagner Columbus Blue Jackets   UFA 27 C, RW   81 18 32 50 10
13:42
- - - - -   $650,000 $650,000
7. Alexander Radulov Montreal Canadiens   UFA 30 RW   76 18 36 54 10
18:17
- - - - -   $5,750,000 $5,750,000
8. Nick Bonino Pittsburgh Penguins   UFA 29 C   80 18 19 37 -5
16:39
Edited by rocheccw

It's almost time for the Free Agency Frenzy or is it Free Agency Fizzle. Each year it gets its own topic in anticipation of that "Big Signing". Still Waiting......

rocheccw post originally posted in the Off-Season Talk topic seemed like a perfect way to start the conversation

Canes Country has also put out four possible targets Joe Thornton,.Bonino, Nail Yakupov and Justin Williams

Of the names listed Bonino interests me the most.

Joe Thornton and Justin Williams are my picks.  Bonino is not what we need and more of a cheap mans 2nd line center like Rask and Nail is a Russian head case and we have had our fair share of those.

23 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Joe Thornton and Justin Williams are my picks.

If our plan is to move Aho to center this season I can see this. Of the two I think Williams is more likely only because I think from what I read Jumbo Joe wants to stay on the west coast. I'm still not sold on the idea of adding an aging vet.

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If are plan is to move Aho to center this season I can see this. Of the two I think Williams is more likely only because I think from what I read Big Joe wants to stay on the west coast. I'm still not sold on the idea of adding an aging vet.

Iirc, Peters specifically said (paraphrasing), that while he sees Aho as a center eventually, he wasn't ready for it yet and we weren't gong to rush him.  I took that to mean probably at least another season or two, but who knows?

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Iirc, Peters specifically said (paraphrasing), that while he sees Aho as a center eventually, he wasn't ready for it yet and we weren't gong to rush him.  I took that to mean probably at least another season or two, but who knows?

He did say that and he or RF indicated Lindy is a winger.  If we did this I'm sure we would figure it out.

25 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm still not sold on the idea of adding an aging vet.

Observations from the peanut gallery...

This team is missing the leadership that a gray beard can provide.  Now I certainly wouldn't want an "aging vet" signed to a long term deal, but the right one or two for two year deals max could provide a lot of leadership and productivity.  We had a floundering year of "here, you take the C...I don't want it".  IF the Canes could bring in a guy like Thornton, he'd immediately have the respect of the locker room.  He didn't score a lot of goals last year, but was an assist machine.  He's still producing if his knee is still attached after surgery.  I doubt it happens, but sign me up if it could.

I'd say JWill or Vrbata would be our best chances of someone who might be offered, might sign, and probably produce at a 75% current level over a two year contract. But I don't see either coming here in all honesty. I think our best chance to add a player is still through a trade.

15 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Observations from the peanut gallery...

This team is missing the leadership that a gray beard can provide. 

We are all members of the peanut gallery at this time of year.

I want to find a flaw in your logic to bolster my position but I really can't. Except for the age and a belief we should move forward with younger finds the idea of adding a vet that can still produce on a short term contract makes a lot of sense. I really hate the idea of trading or signing said vet to become your captain because it points out a glaring leadership problem with the players you have.  Other than that the winning tradition, leadership and proven ability a Thornton or Williams brings is hard to argue against. If it happens I sure won't be one who says we should of done it differently.

Even if we don't make that "big" move in the FA Frenzy as other teams do make signings I expect that some of those teams players will become available or available player price will drop as those teams are forced to free cap space or eliminate redundancy.

In the end I'm not sure what direction we will go in free agency.

Get us any two of those on the list and we suddenly have a chance at anything next year.  That is if our 4 mil a year gamble on Darling isn't a huge fail. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

When you realize your not in the drivers seat...............

And another reason why if we are going to make a move it needs to happen now.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

And another reason why if we are going to make a move it needs to happen now.

at the same time you can't assume Justin Williams wouldn't include the Canes on his short list. He has history with us, it would be quite an accomplishment to help lead this young team back to the playoffs.

If he is looking for a shoe-in (if there is such a thing) for the playoffs then we aren't it.

Interesting times

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Pierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun 1h1 hour ago

Justin Williams camp in the process of narrowing a long list of callers into a smaller group. All about the fit and chance to win.

I wonder what "chance to win" means.  If it's best chance at another cup, count us out.  But as alluded to by OBXer, maybe leading a young, playoff deprived team back to the promised land would be enough?  Isn't that what Jagr did down in Florida?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OBXer said:

at the same time you can't assume Justin Williams wouldn't include the Canes on his short list. He has history with us, it would be quite an accomplishment to help lead this young team back to the playoffs.

If he is looking for a shoe-in (if there is such a thing) for the playoffs then we aren't it.

Interesting times

True but he wants to win.  We are a fringe playoff at this moment.  Don't like our chances compared to others.

• Like 1

Only people I'm interested in is Kovy (who isn't really a UFA), and Big Joe who won't want to go to a non-contender at 38 and is probably too slow to keep up with Peters' system. Oh and obviously J Willy will always be welcome back. But again, doubt he wants to go to a team not contending.

Don't really see any significant upgrades to our Offense in the FA. Which is why I continuously check for a trade from us. And I believe Duchene is still being pursued, now that Joe Sakic is getting flak for being unreasonable, and the media in Denver is on him about it. Could bring the price to a palatable level.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

These guys that want to go to a contender will have to take a pay cut to do it.  Most of those teams don't have the cap space to sign an expensive UFA

• Like 1

Would still take a run at Williams. The "fit" part we can offer him. The "chance to win" is subjective. If he wants to sign for one year at $1 million like Cullen, then he can go to Pittsburgh (or some other cap strapped team) and have a great chance to win. If he wants 2 years at or near his current salary, maybe the chance to be a difference maker on a team like the Canes is the "chance to win" he needs. Its all in the eyes of the beholder. I agree that any help is more likely coming through trade. I threw out Neal's name earlier and no one bit. I think he had about the same numbers as Williams last year. Seems like Vegas might be the most likely team to move someone like this for prospects and futures.

• Like 1

I'd like to see us bring in J Willy and Bonino.  For the reasons I have stated earlier, J Willy for 2-3 years would be a great stop gap and bring a lesson on how to win to the team.  I would be glad to overpay him if that's what it took within reason.  I heard the last shift he took off was in Pee Wee at the age of 7 when someone yelled "Hey look its Spider-Man!".

As for Bonino, watching him play he is blue collar thru and thru.  He's the perfect age to make a 3 year deal to if the price is appropriate and not to high.  Also important to remember, most centers can play wing, but most wings can not play center.  Getting a center means you've got a wing if you need it. ;)

Possible Lines:

Skinny Rask JWilly

Stemp Staal Lind 

Teuvo (correct side) Bonino Aho 

Nordy Ryan McGinn (if he can play right)

Thornton would be an interesting pick up, but talk about a long shot.

I agree with Sucka that unless we seriously roll dice on Kovalchuk, which I do not see, it really comes down to Justin Williams IMHO. No one else is enough of an upgrade. I'm just really wary of Vrbata. Two years ago he was just awful, and he plays zero defense.

But J Williams would be just enough offense, and lots of great leadership, and they idea of getting that and not trading anyone? Let's put it this way, if we had the choice between Duchene and losing Faulk or Hanifin,  or overpaying Justin Williams? No contest. Williams Bridge. I want Duchene, but not for a core NHL player, and it is estimated that is exactly what it's going to take.

Going by Williams history I think we are not in the innermost track. His history is to want a legit cup run, which would mean adding to a current powerhouse. But as pointed out by SuperDave, we can overpay him. While he isn't going to run off to Colorado for one last paycheck, we have a team that really could surprise. A lot of people out there are noting our situation. We seriously upgraded goaltending, and our top 5 D is rock solid, and we have some exciting young forwards.

We do have the empty building issue. Williams is now used to playing in big markets and full buildings at home.

But, we could easily over pay him. Heck, we could crazy overpay him and still probably not get into trouble. Not sure what term he's looking for, but even if we went 3 years at his current salary, we get two good years, and write the third off if it would get him. Oh we have to be careful not to overspend...nonsense. The deals to be afraid of are 8 year deals for $8 million/year. I keep asking, how much is it worth to get your guy and lose NO players, picks or prospects? Let Gauthier and Necas and Aho (as a center) and many other forwards develop (Saarela, Zykov, Foegle, etc etc). Let Fleury and Bean grow in trade value. Just imagine the moves we can make in a year or two still having all of those guys? Overpaying Williams is relative, and most likely worth it.

It's actually a Francis move too. Not the overpaying part, but the not giving up any players or prospects part. I can only imagine what he'll be able to do with the powder he keeps dry.

I don't know if we are out of Williams' league as a small market, non powerhouse, but if he'd consider us, I'd go for it.

Edited by remkin

I can't wait to see Radulov take his toys and go back to Russia. 7 mil for 7 years and he claims it's a hometown discount only for Montreal. He actually thinks he's worth more elsewhere.

Generally speaking it just doesn't look like a strong UFA market this year. The 30+ age group are little more than 1 or 2 year players even if we could get one.  Bonino has 3rd/4th line numbers. Maybe Gagne would work.  As it stands right now IMO, we miss the playoffs with the team we have. We haven't added any goal scorers and the recent draft isn't going to see anyone added to the lineup this season. Unless Ronnie is a magic man he probably isn't going to find a high scoring forward to trade for since you don't hear much rumbling about any quality scorers unhappy with where they are. Just when we had lots of drafts picks/cap space the league looks look dry in the offseason.  Not a good omen unless a big trade can be made.  We'll get to see how good Ronnie really is between now and training camp. Lack of a big name won't help season ticket sales...