The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

23 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Listening to Francis yesterday it looks like we are in the market for a more seasoned goalie to play in Charlotte.  Plan would be for a more experienced goalie to be available if something happens at the big club level and one of Ned or Booth would stay in Charlotte while the other would play in Florida to get playing time. I mentioned last week I thought Booth/Ned would be our Charlotte goalies and someone (sorry I forgot who) questioned the wisdom of having two young goalies in Charlotte. They were right.

I'm not sure we will get a goalie in the Frenzy or trade or re-sign Leights and it is a side story to the real interest today of the J. Williams watch

I'd take the easy route and re-sign Leights. I'd also jump Helvig over both Ned and Booth, at least initially, to quickly expose him to the work that's cut out for him in the AHL.

Helvig caught some lightning with Kingston in 2015-16: .929/2.13 in 27 games (with McKeown as Captain--coincidence??). He was also good enough across 57 games this past season to get the Frontenacs thru the OHL quarterfinals. I'd give him 10 starts just to expose him and see how he responds, then - unless he's absolutely lights-out - split the rest of the AHL campaign between Ned and Booth, with Leights there for mentoring and to spell them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

35 minutes ago

Further to , Jaromir Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda confirms the Panthers have cut ties. Jagr hitting the open marke

I would stay away from Jagr but I know some here wouldn't. Anyway it appears he is a man without a team right now.

8 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Helvig caught some lightning with Kingston in 2015-16: .929/2.13 in 27 games

I hadn't even thought about Helvig.

40 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Aaron Ward just tweeted Justin Williams is likely to return to Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yippee:Also just reported just now on XM radio 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I would stay away from Jagr but I know some here wouldn't. Anyway it appears he is a man without a team right now.

I wouldn't do anything today, but if he's still floating around after the FA frenzy dies down and if we still need another big, experienced body up front (even if RF secures J Willy we can always use a big, experienced body in the hip pocket), i wouldn't cry over RF throwing him a 1-year.  A few other guys i look at first, obviously, but talk about experience, if my math is right we only have 5 guys right now who were even born yet when Jagr debuted in the NHL.  He can certainly teach the kids a thing or two, and he still has plenty of hockey in him.

J Willy first, though...

• Like 1

Assuming this is true about Williams, first this is just awesome news. Second, this should put Francis in the driver seat with regards to Duchene or any other deals.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

Also, I am about to head in and watch  our prospects play, they're supposed to drop the puck at noon probably crazy if they announce the Williams signing in there. Supposedly Francis is supposed to talk, which I thought was a bit odd considering the timing of free agency, but who knows?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He's still young, but signs point to him being very, very good.

He's only 20 and completely fell off my radar.

59 minutes ago

Further to , Jaromir Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda confirms the Panthers have cut ties. Jagr hitting the open market.

I hope this change in position by Florida who had said they had interest in Jagr about re-signing is because they just signed Dadonov and not because they are still in on Justin Williams

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Also, I am about to head in and watch  our prospects play, they're supposed to drop the puck at noon probably crazy if they announce the Williams signing in there. Supposedly Francis is supposed to talk, which I thought was a bit odd considering the timing of free agency, but who knows?

Necas appears to be super fast let us know what you think.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

I wouldn't do anything today, but if he's still floating around after the FA frenzy dies down and if we still need another big, experienced body up front (even if RF secures J Willy we can always use a big, experienced body in the hip pocket), i wouldn't cry over RF throwing him a 1-year.

If Doan, Iginla and Jags are still available, I'm taking either of the first two over Jags. As coastal has mentioned, he's too slow. 

I have said all along. J Willy is perfect here even if he is overpaid 2 years to get.  Open and shut make sure they sew a C on that mans sweater. 2 years later put it in Skinny. 

As for Jagr he entered as a young man playing on Ronnie franchises line. If we need his veteran presence even if he isn't what he used to be RF would make the right move if he felt best. 

Hopefully J Willys wife gets to return to a place they like and we get a guy the yutes can watch lead by example.