The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

I guess it is safe o say it has been a frenzy today and not a fizzle.

Hainsey just signed with the Leafs

Things are looking good, but we need one more 20goal guy.  Williams is aging and may not break 20goals this year(or he may score 30 because he's Willy and he's awesome). Still everything else he brings is needed and voids are filled.  I don't see it as "the move" of moves that we needed but definitely a huge piece of the puzzle filled in.  Now add Duchene or something similar and we are good to go.  Man what a good day for him, getting paid big, and back to captain the team you won the cup with as a kid.  Just awesomeness.

Now if RF is done it may be all we needed.  With Darling in net, Aho and Skinner coming back to score 35 each, Williams added, Our D unscathed and a little stronger and more experienced, we may be alright as is.

I think the consensus for a long time has been that Crazy Joe isn't getting what he wants for Duchene. The only question remaining, AFAIC, is how bad a GM Joe really is. Does he do the right thing and take what he can get, or continue playing with this kid's future (and worse, his mind)??

While I'd still give him Hanifin, that's only because of our deep D-pool. Fleury doesn't have to get paid as soon as Noah; the payment to Fleury would coincide with the end of Duchene's deal. That being said, I don't think Noah gets fully paid on his next deal; I think it's a bridge, because that's what he's earned so far. Unless he absolutely lights it up and is a whole different player this year, I don't think he's re-signed for longer than three years at about $3 million per.

Edited by top-shelf-1

23 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

He will be signed his an RFA.

Well, that may be true but that only puts us a little above the floor.  I highly doubt RF goes into the season just over the floor.  He's always had several million dollars as a cushion and you would need that at the deadline to add some help.  I expect a couple more moves, even a trade, before this is all said and done leading into the season.

Edited by coastal_caniac

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

He's on a two-way contract.

The two-way is the key isn't it?

31 minutes ago

Ryan Murphy, traded by Canes Friday, put on buyout waivers by Flames Saturday, signed by Wild to one-year two-way deal $700K/$350K.

11 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Vrbata & Jokinen probably the only FA Canes can afford that might score 20 Goals

If we could sign Jagr too....The AARP line:D

top, I had those same thoughts concerning  GM Sakic, who's really ruining Duchene? Not sure if I'd even consider him if his psychic has been toyed with so much? 

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If we could sign Jagr too....The AARP line:D

Better have some solid stay at home Dmen with that line. Don't see a lot of back checking.

20 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

top, I had those same thoughts concerning  GM Sakic, who's really ruining Duchene? Not sure if I'd even consider him if his psychic has been toyed with so much? 

It's not just that he had an off year, it's not just that he was part of a terrible team, it's not just that he's a tweeter 1C2C, it's that the guy could leave your team after two years.

Edited by remkin

1 minute ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-agree-to-terms-with-jeremy-smith/c-290255080

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/kichton-agrees-to-terms-with-hurricanes/c-290255812

Looks like Smith will be the "experienced" goalie in Charlotte. A guy Top has been mentioned picking up from Avs.

Smith we needed but Kitchon I don't understand.  We're eating contract space.

At thee Prospects Q&A RF played down any Duchene move given only 2 years left on his contract vs the ELC/RFA years left on young defenders.  Honest answer, or jockeying indirectly?  We'll see.

Maybe RF will consider dealing for Landeskog.

I'M BACK!!!!

Happy for J Willie...I think the price is a tad high, but worth it for his veteran leadership.  Now that it looks like Jagr won't re-sign with the SwampCats, I sincerely think that Franchise should kick the tires on him a bit...even if it's 1 year, 1.5-2 mill.  The guy can still play.

34 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Stephen WhynoVerified account @SWhyno 31m31 minutes ago

Ryan Murphy, traded by Canes Friday, put on buyout waivers by Flames Saturday, signed by Wild to one-year two-way deal $700K/$350K

At what point do you think it finally entered Murph's mind that he probably wasn't worth the 1st round pick we wasted on him?  Sooooo happy we unloaded him and Lack.