Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Joe back in SJS.

wonder what Marleau is going to do 

He'll probably re-up as well.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Joe back in SJS.

wonder what Marleau is going to do 

I'd offer Marleau 3 years 7M per right now..I'm sure SJ offering 2 years at 6M per

Edited by rocheccw

Im not sure.  I was doubtful Big Joe would get more than one 1 year from anyone.  But I bet most werent keen on much commitment until his knee has proven out.  I bet Marleau has a few good offers.

2 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

I'd offer Marleau 3 years 7M per right now

There is no way RF would offer a 37 year old 3 years at 7M. Not in RF's chemistry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Chiarelli on all Draisaitl rumours: "We are not trading him. I have talked to nobody nor will I." He stated he will match any offer sheet.

Offer sheets are really rare, so in no way do I expect us to do it, but every GM everywhere always says those things in this situation.

As to concerns about us paying Driasaitl $9.5 million/year? We paid Eric more than that in inflation adjusted dollars, and while we paid Cam to boot. Draisaitl is Malkin to McDavid's Crosby. This guy will be worth all of that.

I'd pay him in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure Francis goes and takes that shot due to the negative vibe it might set off.

But I do agree with the philosophical notion, that the Oilers have had too many top draft picks. They got another one last year for crying out loud. There would be a sort of poetic justice if we pulled it off.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

Why not offer sheet Nino then?  Wouldn't be 9 million for sure then when MIN matches, do the same to Granlund.  Winner! Sarcasm.

we'll be in the same issue next year with 5 really good RFAs, 1 good, and 1 that shouldn't be kept.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Any good quotes?

He knows that his role here isn't to come in and be all that...he knows he's the oldest person on the team by a country mile for a reason.  And he's excited to be coming back and playing...really sold us as a team that's gonna be a holy terror starting next season.

12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Offer sheets are really rare, so in no way do I expect us to do it, but every GM everywhere always says those things in this situation.

I'd pay him in a heartbeat, but I'm not sure Francis goes and takes that shot due to the negative vibe it might set off.

Yes, offer sheets are rare. Some of us may want to pay him that (lol) but PK certainly would not. The Cam and Eric ERA were well before PK's desire to sell the team. 9.5 mil for 8 years? PK would crap the sheets then fire Ronnie. Ronnie.... I know we discussed a few options that were expensive....like Justin Williams expensive but 9.5 mil for 8 years.... that's my retirement money...your fired.

Edited by slapshot02

Just now, AWACSooner said:

He knows that his role here isn't to come in and be all that...he knows he's the oldest person on the team by a country mile for a reason.  And he's excited to be coming back and playing...really sold us as a team that's gonna be a holy terror starting next season.

That's great!  I still hope he "brings it."  Seems like the kind of guy who will.

Good to hear some of these guys know their place in the world.  Others are delusional.  J Willie got a good pay check, but not outrageous, and not a crazy term like some of these old farts ask for. 

Just stay healthy man!

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

As to concerns about us paying Driasaitl $9.5 million/year? We paid Eric more than that in inflation adjusted dollars, and Cam to boot. Draisaitl is Malkin to McDavid's Crosby. This guy will be worth all of that.

But I do agree with the philosophical notion, that the Oilers have had too many top draft picks. They got another one last year for crying out loud. There would be a sort of poetic justice if we pulled it off.

Washington is so messed up right now, 14 nhl players signed, 3 RFAs still to sign plus other holes to fill. they need 4 forwards, 1 defenseman, & a back up goalie...with only 12.5M available.

How about an offer sheet to KUZNETSOV even if they match if would further hamper any other moves!!!

1 minute ago, rocheccw said:

Washington is so messed up right now

Maybe now I don't have to have to hear Caps fans say to me "You mean there's a team in Carolina?"  B)

1 minute ago, surfzone365 said:

Maybe now I don't have to have to hear Caps fans say to me "You mean there's a team in Carolina?"  B)

Hope so...14 player / 62.5M = 4.5M avg per player...they have done it to themselves!!!

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I think that would be me. :grin:  Just couldn't see how you'd start the year without someone who had already proved he could be successful at the AHL level.

I wonder if we could get McCollum from Calgary for cheap?  Looking back, wonder if RF tried to include him in the deal that sent Lack to Calgary.

I know we solved our Chex goalie situation with Smith, but I did get an answer to the McCollum question;

Tom McCollum just traded from Flames to Detroit for a conditional 7th round pick.

1 minute ago, rocheccw said:

Hope so...14 player / 62.5M = 4.5M avg per player...they have done it to themselves!!!

We'll see how Ovi the Great 8 does next year

I'd love to make a run at  Evgeny Kuznetsov 25 years old or Alex Galchenyuk 23 years old but I get the feel that RF is done for now. In his interview today he stated he added 3 stanley cup players to the team in this off season, added 5/6 pair defensive help and added additional scoring and leadership. He reiterated that everyone states we don't have scoring,"We have Jeff Skinner" and we match up well against many teams regarding offense. He felt we needed more balance on offense and the additional D help may help bring the puck up faster to help the offense. The question was raised if there was an opening to be filled would he prefer to do it with the youth if they were ready or fill it with someone from the outside. He prefers to fill from within which is the expected answer. He didn't close the door on further moves if there was something that made sense. Again, I think RF likes what he has for now and I don't expect anything earth shattering going forward for the rest of the summer. Caveat....everything is subject to change.

40 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd love to make a run at  Evgeny Kuznetsov 25 years old or Alex Galchenyuk 23 years old but I get the feel that RF is done for now.

I think he plays the waiting game on Duchene. Joe won't make a move without calling him for a counter, and I have to think that's right where he wants to be.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Yes, offer sheets are rare. Some of us may want to pay him that (lol) but PK certainly would not. The Cam and Eric ERA were well before PK's desire to sell the team. 9.5 mil for 8 years? PK would crap the sheets then fire Ronnie. Ronnie.... I know we discussed a few options that were expensive....like Justin Williams expensive but 9.5 mil for 8 years.... that's my retirement money...your fired.

Clearly Francis would only do it with PK's blessing. Every team that wants to be a perennial contender needs it's superstar. And they are going to need to pay that guy. Draisaitl is going to be the guy we hoped Eric would be. And worth the money.

If we knew that the Oilers would let him walk for that? I bet we'd do it. He's 21 years old. 6'1" and just put up almost 80 points, and nearly 2 points per game in the playoffs. And he's a center. Already #8 in the NHL in points and 29 goals last year.

Game changer.

It would be a bold salary, it would put him in super elite territory, but wow. Just wow.

OK, it will not happen.

Back to hoping for Duchene.

Edited by remkin

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

Clearly Francis would only do it with PK's blessing. Every team that wants to be a perennial contender needs it's superstar. And they are going to need to pay that guy. Draisaitl is going to be the guy we hoped Eric would be. And worth the money.

If we knew that the Oilers would let him walk for that? I bet we'd do it. He's 21 years old. 6'1" and just put up almost 80 points, and nearly 2 points per game in the playoffs. And he's a center. Already #8 in the NHL in points and 29 goals last year.

Game changer.

It would be a bold salary, it would put him in super elite territory, but wow. Just wow.

OK, it will not happen.

Back to hoping for Duchene.

Clearly RF would need PK's blessing, just my attempt at some humor. I although do not think PK would pay that kind of money. We could of over paid on Oshie is PK was willing to spend more. It has been many years the last time PK dove very deep into the wallet. Rf isn't going to touch Duschene  and give up a valuable asset for a two year contract

10 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Clearly RF would need PK's blessing, just my attempt at some humor. I although do not think PK would pay that kind of money. We could of over paid on Oshie is PK was willing to spend more. It has been many years the last time PK dove very deep into the wallet. Rf isn't going to touch Duschene  and give up a valuable asset for a two year contract

You may be right. It is a ton, but in the future it will be just a lot. The money though is probably going to be worth it. Heck, the Oilers are going to pay him after they pay McDavid $13.5 million/year.

As to Duchene, we've clearly offered something. Francis did mention not wanting to give up a top 4 Dman that is in his entry deal. But we offered something. I have to think we offered Fleury. I could well be wrong. But less than that isn't really even an offer.

I still think he'd do Fleury for Duchene. Most pending UFA's end up signing with their team if the team wants them. In two years, if Duchene is a big part of the plan, we probably sign him.

I'd still do Fluery for Duchene in a minute. We are deep in prospects and with Duchene and Williams along with Darling, TVR and our guys improving, how do we not make the playoffs at least those two years. But by then our pipeline will start kicking in.

I'm just guessing here, but some deal involving Fleury has already probably been offered.

Edited by remkin

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm just guessing here, but some deal involving Fleury has already probably been offered.

Except that Francis has already said TVR-Fluery is the planned 5-6 pair.  It doesn't mean we wouldn't trade him or another of the D but maybe we need to think about what forward would be used as the roster player in a big move.