The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

Lol the Duchene thing might not be dead. Read on another board a fan talked to a ticket sales rep prior to Summerfest, and said we'd get Williams today, and Duchene tomorrow.

What I wonder is with the signing of Williams, if that could make a forward available in a trade for Duchene.  TT/Bean/pick?

Flame on!!!

10 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Lol the Duchene thing might not be dead. Read on another board a fan talked to a ticket sales rep prior to Summerfest, and said we'd get Williams today, and Duchene tomorrow.

What I wonder is with the signing of Williams, if that could make a forward available in a trade for Duchene.  TT/Bean/pick?

Flame on!!!

Hmmmm, ticket rep.  Legit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hmmmm, ticket rep.  Legit.

His other job is to sell used cars.  "That's not an engine problem, you just need to take it on 540 and blow the carbon out."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

His other job is to sell used cars.  "That's not an engine problem, you just need to take it on 540 and blow the carbon out."

I was ready to dismiss it too, but the rep predicted the Williams signing when at that point our name wasn't mentioned in the rumors.  It probably won't happen though.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Or Just increase Ticket Sales!!

11 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I've been thinking sign-and-trade with PDG. With each passing day he's unsigned, I'm thinking Phil is connected to a deal with either Colorado or is the other shoe to drop in a deal with Vegas, since they let us keep Stemp and Nordy so cheap.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Flame on!!!

That would make me very very happy.  We'd be a top team this year. that's minimum 50 goals added between those two.  And than the new netminder, the new 5/6 D pairing.  I'm drooling.  Hope it happens.

51 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I've been thinking sign-and-trade with PDG. With each passing day he's unsigned, I'm thinking Phil is connected to a deal with either Colorado or is the other shoe to drop in a deal with Vegas, since they let us keep Stemp and Nordy so cheap.

Interesting idea.  I also wonder how we got away so cheaply.  But since PDG is an RFA, I'm wondering how important the "sign" part is?  Does an RFA at PDGs level have enough negotiating leverage to hold up a deal until after he's signed?

My other thought is that the hold up might be associated with negotiations around 2-way status.  That's something I can see the Canes wanting and PDG very much against, especially after that wasn't part of McGinns contract.  

Who knows, maybe part of enticing J Williams was the promise to add one more piece. Probably not though.

This is today on Duchene:

On Matt Duchene …

Adrian Dater: Was hearing (last night) that nothing was imminent with regards to Matt Duchene. There is trade talk and parties are thinking about it.

There is specific mention of Boston, Columbus, and especially Nashville. So the rumor mill at least doesn't seem to include us. Francis' comments about not trading Hanifin and the resulting crowd cheer, kills that idea, which was the one Sakic wanted. I still think Francis would do Fleury. I know that Fleury is penciled in as the #6 guy with TVR, but Dahlbeck can do that, and Duchene plus Williams and keeping our top 4 D in tact would just be killer.

The question in my mind is will one of the other suitors sweeten the pot, or give up a better piece than Fleury. If so, sure, we're out.

The J Williams signing absolutely puts Francis in a better position. He does not have to make a deal. But the right deal could still be very sweet for us if Sakic has to lower his price.  It is a longer shot, but I'm still interested until Duchene goes somewhere else.

Nashville seems to have the inside track as apparently Duchene is keen on going there.

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Interesting idea.  I also wonder how we got away so cheaply.  But since PDG is an RFA, I'm wondering how important the "sign" part is?  Does an RFA at PDGs level have enough negotiating leverage to hold up a deal until after he's signed?

My other thought is that the hold up might be associated with negotiations around 2-way status.  That's something I can see the Canes wanting and PDG very much against, especially after that wasn't part of McGinns contract.  

The second part of your post is why the first (signing) part is important. Typically a guy negotiating a bridge deal is thankful to be getting it. Since the Canes know they can match any offer and keep him they can afford to wait, let the market set the price, sign him at the best possible terms, and then move him.  

Well, the Craps just re-upped Kuz for 7.8 for EIGHT YEARS...and then traded Johansson to NJ for a 2nd and 3rd.

Guys, the Metro is a bloodbath...and we aren't looking too good at moving up into contention in this division unless Franchise makes a splash for a top forward.  I have faith, but the moves within the division aren't working in our favor at all.

• Like 1

AWAC, see my much longer post in the Off-season thread. Same point. I like the moves we've made, but most of the teams in our division have done more. If PK will pay up, maybe we do need Duchene. What about Neal from Vegas. I've floated this before and no one bites. Not a center, but had 23 goals last year and could probably be had for futures.

I still have hopes on the Duchene front, but there was this from Greg Wyshynski, Puck Daddy, on who had the best Free Agent Signing:

...the best move of the day…

1 – Justin Williams, Carolina Hurricanes

Two years and $9 million for a guy who went over 20 goals in each of the last two seasons.

Yes, he’s turning 36, but that’s why the ancillary benefits of having Williams on this team are so key: He’s played for Stanley Cup champions and has proven to be clutch in the playoffs, on a young team that needs that kind of sage in the room. Plus his name is on the Stanley Cup as a member of the Hurricanes.

He was coveted by a few teams, including the Lightning, and this was a significant win for Ron Francis. Guess it helps when you’ve played with the guy.

6 hours ago, remkin said:

I still have hopes on the Duchene front, but there was this from Greg Wyshynski, Puck Daddy, on who had the best Free Agent Signing:

...the best move of the day…

1 – Justin Williams, Carolina Hurricanes

Two years and $9 million for a guy who went over 20 goals in each of the last two seasons.

Yes, he’s turning 36, but that’s why the ancillary benefits of having Williams on this team are so key: He’s played for Stanley Cup champions and has proven to be clutch in the playoffs, on a young team that needs that kind of sage in the room. Plus his name is on the Stanley Cup as a member of the Hurricanes.

He was coveted by a few teams, including the Lightning, and this was a significant win for Ron Francis. Guess it helps when you’ve played with the guy.

Still it's not enough.  Too many top 6 heavy teams in our division.  If this was the SouthEast no problem.  But our division is a different ball game.

I don't get the doom and gloom.  The Canes didn't lose anything in free agency and gained a significant upgrade in goal, 3rd pairing D, and added Williams to the top 6 forwards. The top 2 teams, Pens and Caps both lost several contributing pieces via free agency.  Other teams have added pieces, but so have the Canes.  Some of those teams are in a tight spot with the cap.  Realignment put the Canes in a challenging spot, but realistically, things change quickly and it's not often that a powerhouse division in any sport stays that way for long periods of time.

Looking forward, the Canes have a promising young team, with prospects in the system that look like they are tracking towards the NHL.  Francis added the exact pieces that he laid out at the end of the season that he needed to address.  I'd love to see another move to bring in an additional top 6 forward, but I don't have a lot of heartburn with the team as is.  My biggest question is if The Doctor is penciled in as the 3rd line center.

edit: Gosh darn it, I almost got long winded...for me

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

I mean if you're concerned we're not going to win the cup or be in the final four I think you're quite merited in being concerned but I think this team's more then capable of getting the wild card this year. No subtractions from the lineup and everything has been a net gain. If Williams adds his 20 goals he's usually good for and Darling is the improvement in goal we've hoped for I think we'll be in the first wild card spot this year. 

If Darling goes into the long line of goalies who just can't stop the puck I'm going to have to ask if Cam's poisoning his rivals. 

• Like 4

Legend, I agree.  I'm not saying this is a SCF team, but it should be a competitive team.  Seriously, when is the last time that the Canes weren't shopping in the scratch and dent basket on July 1?  I'm glad not to have to settle for a case of Ramen noodles that expired last week.

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Well, the Craps just re-upped Kuz for 7.8 for EIGHT YEARS...and then traded Johansson to NJ for a 2nd and 3rd.

Guys, the Metro is a bloodbath...and we aren't looking too good at moving up into contention in this division unless Franchise makes a splash for a top forward.  I have faith, but the moves within the division aren't working in our favor at all.

This actually make the Caps worse!!! They have 14 NHL players now signed for a whopping 65.7M. The have 2 RFAs still to sign then they still need another NHL D & 3 more NHL Forwards!!! Thats 6 players for a total of 9M...Cap issues are going to kill the Caps!!! Pun intended!!! :D

They have overpaid, & over termed too many players!!! Mark my words this is the beginning of their downfall!!!

Since the season ended, the Capitals have lost three of their six defensemen, and a winger each from two of their three scoring lines. 

Edited by rocheccw

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't get the doom and gloom.

You're not supposed to get it. Just consider the source. It's like the sky is blue: It's not a why thing, it's an is thing. If you're constantly negative and things go well, you can claim you're "pleasantly surprised." If they go badly, you get to say "I told you so."

It's not about being a fan. It's about being able to say you were right, no matter what happens. The most cowardly kind of non-committal, IMO.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You're not supposed to get it. Just consider the source. It's like the sky is blue: It's not a why thing, it's is thing. If you're constantly negative and things go well, you can claim you're "pleasantly surprised." If they go badly, you get to say "I told you so."

It's not about being a fan. It's about being able to say you were right, no matter what happens. The most cowardly kind of non-committal, IMO.

You hit the nail on the head top. I suppose if we could get a McDavid or someone like that, then it might stop, but even then I suspect there would be some other issue, like we just have to upgrade the organ player or some such to be competitive?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't get the doom and gloom.  The Canes didn't lose anything in free agency and gained a significant upgrade in goal, 3rd pairing D, and added Williams to the top 6 forwards. The top 2 teams, Pens and Caps both lost several contributing pieces via free agency.  Other teams have added pieces, but so have the Canes.  Some of those teams are in a tight spot with the cap.  Realignment put the Canes in a challenging spot, but realistically, things change quickly and it's not often that a powerhouse division in any sport stays that way for long periods of time.

Looking forward, the Canes have a promising young team, with prospects in the system that look like they are tracking towards the NHL.  Francis added the exact pieces that he laid out at the end of the season that he needed to address.  I'd love to see another move to bring in an additional top 6 forward, but I don't have a lot of heartburn with the team as is.  My biggest question is if The Doctor is penciled in as the 3rd line center.

edit: Gosh darn it, I almost got long winded...for me

The team has finished on the outside looking in for eight years straight. If the team has one significant injury this year they will miss again.  Not good enough. Sorry.