The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

My biggest question is if The Doctor is penciled in as the 3rd line center.

This is the remaining item on my wish list.

I really thought we would have upgraded our 3C to play (likely) between TT and Stempniak. With the situation we are in I thought GMRF would have brought in/signed someone.

I guess there is still time and other things could happen but I thought there were options in FA that wouldn't break the bank (then again we never know who was willing to come here).

I guess we'll see.

Edited by Kyrule

Dallas just hosed themselves on Radulov...not worth what either the salary or term of what they just paid for him.

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Dallas just hosed themselves on Radulov...not worth what either the salary or term of what they just paid for him.

Yes they did over pay but i give Dallas credit for making bold moves this off season. They added Radulov, Hanzal, Methot, Bishop and a new coach.

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Yes they did over pay but i give Dallas credit for making bold moves this off season. They added Radulov, Hanzal, Methot, Bishop and a new coach.

Yeah, I'm glad that Dallas isn't in the East.

What about Vanek for 1 year...1M base salary, & 1M in performances bonuses...Bonus could be 250K for 20 goals, 250K for 50 Points, 500K for playoffs.

He had 17G, & 48P last year in 68 games.

Edited by rocheccw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rocheccw said:

What about Vanek for 1 year...1M base salary, & 1M in performances bonuses...Bonus could be 250K for 20 goals, 250K for 50 Points, 500K for playoffs.

He had 17G, & 48P last year in 68 games.

I'd be game for him...hell, I'd be game for Jagr at this point...as long as he has two linemates who can protect him a bit, he's still a dangerous scorer.

13 minutes ago, Gejustin said:

We're apparently in talks with Vegas about Marcus Kruger.

I've had a chance to watch Krugs over the years. An underrated 4th line center with Cup experience and the ability to get to the net.  Not a great scorer but is extremely durable in that he hasn't missed many games due to injury (yet). Pretty decent on the PK.

4 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I've had a chance to watch Krugs over the years. An underrated 4th line center with Cup experience and the ability to get to the net.  Not a great scorer but is extremely durable in that he hasn't missed many games due to injury (yet). Pretty decent on the PK.

Pretty standard. We need 20 goal scorers and we get a 4th liner.

• Like 1

I don't understand interest in Kruger.  Similar player to jmac, only more expensive.  Maybe this is all related to expansion draft/tvr trades.  Final installment.

10 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I don't understand interest in Kruger.  Similar player to jmac, only more expensive.  Maybe this is all related to expansion draft/tvr trades.  Final installment.

I was thinking maybe Stalberg-ish, except at center instead of wing?  

Edited by LakeLivin

Krugs is definitely a guy you want on your team if the need is present, and if you have deep pockets. Chicago didn't think 3+ mil was worth it for a 4th liner ..many other might agree...

Edited by surfzone365

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not understanding this one, but he's better than Ryan or Joorish I guess. 

I don't get this one either unless RF has another package deal in the works.

Makes a lot more sense if Joorish went back the other way in the deal.

Kruger's salary wouldn't be quite as onerous as it might appear at first glance.  He's got a $3.083m AAV for the next 2 seasons, but this year his $3.475m actual salary includes a $2m signing bonus.  I think half of that is paid on July 1st (by Vegas) so we'd only be paying him $2.475m on the year?  And next year he "only" gets $2.3m year.  Subtract the $775k we're going to pay Joorish and the cost to upgrade to Kruger is about $1.7m this season. 

Worth it or not?  

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not understanding this one, but he's better than Ryan or Joorish I guess. 

Seconded. Or thirded. Or whatever we're up to. I wonder whether Ronnie's filling up the 3-4 center ranks to ensure competition in camp.

Would rather spend money on a goal scorer than another 4th line center. I thought Ryan or Joorish was that. I like Ryan, and his story is inspirational, but is he really worth almost $1.5 million? Who were we bidding against? And the stats I saw on Joorish, he is not a scorer. What does he add to our 4th line that we don't already have. Agree that based on last year's production, Vanek would be a good pickup if the price was right. 

We need to make playoffs this year. I agree that the first key is how Darling plays, but we were somewhere around 28th in scoring last year and have added one 24 goal, 48 point scorer. With Ryan and Joorish and McGinn under contract, I believe we have 12 forwards signed, PDG in limbo. If I'm correct, if we bring another forward in, I think someone on the roster needs to go the other way. I'm beginning to think this is what we are going to start the season with. I would like to have seen, at minimum, one more scorer on par with Williams. We'll see, I guess.

11 hours ago, RonnieFranchise said:

The team has finished on the outside looking in for eight years straight. If the team has one significant injury this year they will miss again.  Not good enough. Sorry.

The Canes made the playoffs in 2006 and 2009.  If the team has 2 significant injuries this season they will have to play 2 other guys that are not hurt, they will play well, and they will make it again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iceman11 said:

13 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I was thinking maybe Stalberg-ish, except at center instead of wing?  

13 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Krugs is definitely a guy you want on your team if the need is present, and if you have deep pockets. Chicago didn't think 3+ mil was worth it for a 4th liner ..many other might agree...

I'd love this move! Adding Kruger would give us a killer 4th line and improve our penalty kill. He is an elite checking center....Jordan Staal without any offense. Adding him to the fourth line with Nordy and McGinn(?) would give us a great checking line that we can throw out there against the other team's best lines without fear. This is good for our OFFENSE too, because it takes some of those shifts that Staal's line would have to take allowing them to play more offensive shifts. More Staal, Aho, Lindholm playing offense doesn't sound like a bad thing to me...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I'd love this move! Adding Kruger would give us a killer 4th line and improve our penalty kill. He is an elite checking center....Jordan Staal without any offense. Adding him to the fourth line with Nordy and McGinn(?) would give us a great checking line that we can throw out there against the other team's best lines without fear. This is good for our OFFENSE too, because it takes some of those shifts that Staal's line would have to take allowing them to play more offensive shifts. More Staal, Aho, Lindholm playing offense doesn't sound like a bad thing to me...

I'll 2nd that MJB as I did on the other site. And for those pondering the value of this trade, flip over to CanesCountry site and in the news for July 4th, read the 6th bullet point down. If you don't come away impressed with the value as MJB points out, to free J Staal up from some of his defensive responsibilities, then I don't know what can impress you?

• Like 2