The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

18 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't get this one either unless RF has another package deal in the works.

Or, he's chatted with CBP and expects a few current roster guys to get cut/waived in training camp.  

4 minutes ago, Capital_Caniac said:

Or, he's chatted with CBP and expects a few current roster guys to get cut/waived in training camp.  

Welcome to the board. I'm sure some conversations take place but I doubt BP is guaranteeing anybody anything.   Kruger  appears to be a statistical upgrade and we didn't trade for him if we don't intend to use him. He knows that.  You are right that training camp is going to be very interesting this year.

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Welcome to the board. I'm sure some conversations take place but I doubt BP is guaranteeing anybody anything.   Kruger  appears to be a statistical upgrade and we didn't trade for him if we don't intend to use him. He knows that.  You are right that training camp is going to be very interesting this year.

Thanks, yes camp will be interesting to say the least.  I'm sure some guys will get cut.  Not saying Kruger will, or that we traded for him to not use him, just that depth is a good problem to have.  Yes, he is an upgrade and a nice piece to have on board.  

5 minutes ago, Capital_Caniac said:

Thanks, yes camp will be interesting to say the least.  I'm sure some guys will get cut.  Not saying Kruger will, or that we traded for him to not use him, just that depth is a good problem to have.  Yes, he is an upgrade and a nice piece to have on board.  

Yes, welcome aboard Capital Caniac. You don't mean Washington Capital Caniac do you?

Depth is a good thing indeed. Francis also commented on getting veterans from winning back grounds in here too. Seems like some cultivating of the culture going on.

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yes, welcome aboard Capital Caniac. You don't mean Washington Capital Caniac do you?

Depth is a good thing indeed. Francis also commented on getting veterans from winning back grounds in here too. Seems like some cultivating of the culture going on.

No, but I do live in Caps Country...ugh...and I hate the Caps.

4 minutes ago, Capital_Caniac said:

That'll work!

18 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Who is John Jaeckel and does he know his posterior from a hole in the ground?

He is blogger for Hockeybuzz for the Chicago Blackhawks.  I don't know anything about him except to say it's Hockeybuzz and reader beware.

First, hockeybuzz, probably nothing. But...

Hossa would fit with the plan of importing more vets that have played on winners, and with out transition into Blackhawks SouthEast, but we look pretty set on the wings. Three-way move for center?

Or we could rethink say TT at center, and push Ryan down.

That would be a pretty packed top 9.

Edited by remkin

OK, Hossa put up 26 goals.

Put TT at third line center, slide Ryan down, and start making playoff plans.

That would actually be a great move if Hossa is up for coming here. And more veteran, knows what it takes, hard working guys.

YES.

(I get it's a low level rumor, but it would be a good move IMO).

Edited by remkin

Last I heard Hossa is out for the year with that skin allergy thing.  So we're talking about taking on his contract, not a roster player. The compensation is rumored to be picks/ prospects, so presumably wouldn't effect our current roster. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Last I heard Hossa is out for the year with that skin allergy thing.  So we're talking about taking on his contract, not a roster player. The compensation is rumored to be picks/ prospects, so presumably wouldn't effect our current roster. 

That was my take Lake, that this is just taking on a LTIR contract for compensation, unless Hossa has had a miraculous recovery?

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Ah, in that case never mind.

Yeah, it would just be taking on the contract, or more like the cap, for this season.  But he has another 3 years on his contract, doesn't he?  Worth taking it on with that in mind?  Or less worth?

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Worth taking it on with that in mind?

Oy Jesu, as ma used to say. Let's freakin' hope not. Unless we're sending the contract to Crazy Joe along with the picks. Which, given his demonstrated trading acumen thus far, he might actually do.

3 hours ago, rocheccw said:

Canes are officially the Blackhawks south!!!

At least we won't get pushed around and swept by the Preds unless we make the Cup Finals ?

55 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Yeah, it would just be taking on the contract, or more like the cap, for this season.  But he has another 3 years on his contract, doesn't he?  Worth taking it on with that in mind?  Or less worth?

Yeah this just doesn't seem like a RF move. This year the cap space is no big deal, but the next two or three years it could hurt them...

The problem with this rumor is the Canes won't be a floor team next year & may need that cap space with 6 major RFAs needing raises plus another 11 minor RFAs.

Big names needing bridge deals & Raises are Slavin, Hanifin, Pesce, & Lindholm + TVR, Nordstrom, & Ward(probably a lower BU contract).

The following year they will need money for Skinner, Williams, Aho, Fluery, & McKeown.

2 hours ago, Capital_Caniac said:

That makes 2 of us brother. Not easy being a Caniac here but we still have a piece of cloth in our rafters that the Verizon Center doesn't have ?

So let's see.  I'm a Chicago fan/blogger/whatever.  I have nothing better to do with my 4th of July.  (Why? Chicago's a great city on the 4th!  Plenty to do.)  So, I'm worried about the cap.  Let's see, let me go over to capfriendly and see who needs to reach the floor.  Ah, the Canes!  Good trading partner!  They can take Hossa's dead money, right?   It will help them and us.

I'm not buying it, unless this offensive prospect is golden.  Is Jaeckel golden?  I don't follow all these prospects.

4 hours ago, rocheccw said:

so the official trade was:

CAR: Keeping Stem, & Nordy + TVR + Kruger & a 7th round pick.

For

VGK: 2 - 5th round picks, & a 2nd round pick + Connor Brickley

Canes are officially the Blackhawks south!!!

Nice summary! Let me clean it up even a bit more.

Since Stempniak was viewed as the most valuable player we exposed to Vegas, lets assume he'd have been their pick if there had been no deals.

Canes                                           Vegas 

Stemp                                             2nd

TVR                                                5th 

a "salary retained" Kruger                5th 

7th

If you're wondering why Brickley isn't listed it's because he was a UFA and Vegas didn't bother to make him an offer, so in essence they didn't even get a Canes player from the expansion draft.

Anybody else think that maybe RF shouldn't accompany the Canes when they play in Vegas?  In case the local authorities decide to charge him with robbery based on recent transactions? :P 

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

.....Anybody else think that maybe RF shouldn't accompany the Canes when they play in Vegas?  In case the local authorities decide to charge him with robbery based on recent transactions? :P 

I don't know why LVK want a guy like James Neal.  I'm sure RF can listen and help....;)