The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

I still don't translate that as not being able to re-sign a player.  I think it is aimed at re-acquiring a player by trade.  They didn't want teams protecting a player from the expansion draft via this process.

I could also be wrong.  It's my opinion, and opinions are like...bellybuttons.  Everybody has one.

51 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The Jan. 1 rule is for players traded to other teams before the expansion draft; they can't be re-acquired prior to Jan. 1

But does this mean at the trade deadline months before the expansion draft, or just in the 'pre-draft frenzy'?  Still could be interpreted both ways.  Fo shizzle.

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

But does this mean at the trade deadline months before the expansion draft, or just in the 'pre-draft frenzy'?  Still could be interpreted both ways.  Fo shizzle.

That part I'm fairly comfortable with; any player traded after 1/1/17 was subject to the rule.  That was discussed as early as last fall.

If the rule doesn't pertain to re-signing UFAs, "re-acquire" is a poor choice of words.  "Acquire" is a broad term that, without additional qualification, technically wouldn't limit the rule to any specific "how" (i.e., re-trade vs. UFA signing).  But again, I'm hoping that the NHLs intent is re-trade only.  Since I don't think it's likely that RF brings in more than 1 additional scorer at this point, I'd love to see Stalberg back.  Good 4th line forward, very good on the PK, and my impression was that, while not exactly Milan Lucic, he was one of the grittier Carolina Hurricanes last season.

2 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

It always comes out eventually who was on the "list" of teams.  I might have exaggerated a little bit by saying "every big name".  But I can think of a few in the last few years that we wanted bad and we were  "not on the list".  I would hope J. Willy puts on his list, not sure anyone else cares too, however they know we got some money to spend so maybe.

Please provide a link to even one of these lists that you claim "always" come out after the fact.

For all you and I know, danimal, Raleigh's been on lots of players' lists, and the org was unable to afford them, thanks to the contracts to E. and Cam. Raleigh may not be LA or San Jose, but it sure ain't Edmonton or Calgary either. The attributes of this region that others have already posted are attractive to anybody who has faced more than a few winters in the Great White North. 

All I'm saying is, knowing what we do know for sure, versus what we might speculate, which scenario is more likely: your claim that of every FA over the past 10 years, not one of them wanted to come here--or that at least a few were willing, but (until now) we couldn't afford their terms?

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I could also be wrong.  It's my opinion, and opinions are like...bellybuttons.  Everybody has one.

I remember you telling me bellybuttons was allowed by the censorometerlexiconsteriskmaker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

That part I'm fairly comfortable with; any player traded after 1/1/17 was subject to the rule.  That was discussed as early as last fall.

If the rule doesn't pertain to re-signing UFAs, "re-acquire" is a poor choice of words.  "Acquire" is a broad term that, without additional qualification, technically wouldn't limit the rule to any specific "how" (i.e., re-trade vs. UFA signing).  But again, I'm hoping that the NHLs intent is re-trade only.  Since I don't think it's likely that RF brings in more than 1 additional scorer at this point, I'd love to see Stalberg back.  Good 4th line forward, very good on the PK, and my impression was that, while not exactly Milan Lucic, he was one of the grittier Carolina Hurricanes last season.

Fo shizzle.

8 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I remember you telling me bellybuttons was allowed by the censorometerlexiconsteriskmaker.

Of the two holes in question...yes

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Hey guys.  What are the odds that Williams signs here?  1 out of 10?  1 out of 100?  What would you say that the chances are statistically?

Williams is the only one who can answer that question.  Somehow i think he's more likely than the other guys in question but now watch everyone except him sign here.  We should be so lucky.  Fo shizzle.

12 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Hey guys.  What are the odds that Williams signs here?  1 out of 10?  1 out of 100?  What would you say that the chances are statistically?

1 in 58

• Like 2

I expect Grigorenko to be snagged by a cap strapped team because he is young and decent.

i wouldn't mind GMRF taking a run at him.  He hasn't lived up to the hype of his pick but he put up 24 points on that terrible team.  I bet he would be more productive with TT and Stempniak as his line mates.  Plus he is only 23.  A solid 2-3 year 3.5-6 million total deal. Cheap but could be worth it. 

My expected FA potential signees:

GMRF wants short term

Jiri Hudler- will probably take a 1 year deal to get his career back in track.  He has missed a bunch of games over the last 2 seasons due to freak virus.  Usually a 40 point scorer.  

Parenteau- older guy that was hurt. Usually a decent 30-40 point guy. Would do a 2 year deal 

Ask about but wont get:

J Williams- wants a cup

Marleau- same

Bonino- too many years wanted

Vrbata- likes Arizona but why???

Williams has hoisted the Cup.  I think his decision will be based on other things.  I think other older players without that in their resume may feel that way, but there are only so many sure thing landing spots.

Thats just one man's opinion.

50 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Williams has hoisted the Cup.  I think his decision will be based on other things.  I think other older players without that in their resume may feel that way, but there are only so many sure thing landing spots.

Thats just one man's opinion.

Agreed.  He has won multiple times.   Time to try being a captain!  Amirite???

If he does not intend to trade for a $6 million forward, Ronnie has more money to offer Justin for maybe 2 yearsthan many others. He went to Washington to win a Cup. How'd that work out? The 4 or 5 teams you would list as SC favorites next year all have cap issues. Is he willing to take 1 year for a lot less money to have a chance ... like the chance he had in Washington. Who knows what Justin is thinking, but if PK will open his wallet and Ronnie plays it right, I don't see why we would not be in the conversation.  Did J Willy ever play for the Canes before RF retired? Well, he played w/Rod for sure. That might count for something.