The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

How about Big Joe and J Willy? We could afford it. Now that would be something.

Not sure whether this is a form of sarcasm, rem, but the general census is that Big Joe wants his alter ego friend, Marleau to finish off his career with, so J Willy will not qualify?

A thought entered my mind, I hope that GMRF has not over played his cards, clearing Cap Space out, and then strikes out to sign that 1 big deal, leaving us well below the floor?  If so, what will he do, sign some undeserving player to an obscene contract? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure whether this is a form of sarcasm, rem, but the general census is that Big Joe wants his alter ego friend, Marleau to finish off his career with, so J Willy will not qualify?

A thought entered my mind, I hope that GMRF has not over played his cards, clearing Cap Space out, and then strikes out to sign that 1 big deal, leaving us well below the floor?  If so, what will he do, sign some undeserving player to an obscene contract? 

Unbuyout he who shall not be named?

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't know if I'd say sarcasm really. Just sort of "what if" and more fantasy. Yes, it is said that Joe wants to keep playing with Marleau, but then one doesn't always get exactly what one wants.

I think I'd rather have Justin back than Marleau, and we could use a 1C, so I came up with my combo. Plus maybe Joe would like to play with Mr Game 7.

I do think that probably any of those three could get us there for a year or two though, let alone two of them.

Edited by remkin

After moving Lack and Murphy, with $6M burning a hole in his pocket, I wonder if RF has a wink-wink handshake deal in place with somebody either through free agency or a trade that hasn't had the last details worked out.

I am going to throw a hypothetical situation out there for comment and see what the responses are, because I seriously do not know the answer.  Lets say we are able to sign Justin Williams to a 2 year, 8 million dollar contract.  However the contract calls for 7 million this year and 1 million next year.  Usually, the cap hit is spread out evenly over the life of the contract (4m, 4m).  Can we actually charge the cap it as the money is paid out (7m,1m)?  That would allow us to get to the cap floor this year and reduce our hit and salary expense next year, when we have to pay 4 key RFAs.

What say you?

29 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Can we actually charge the cap it as the money is paid out (7m,1m)?  That would allow us to get to the cap floor this year and reduce our hit and salary expense next year, when we have to pay 4 key RFAs.

Good question. I wonder but I don't know the answer.

Looking around this morning I don't see us linked to any of the top FAs. At least by name. I suppose we could be one of the 10 teams rumored to be interested in Williams and Bonino.

53 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

After moving Lack and Murphy, with $6M burning a hole in his pocket, I wonder if RF has a wink-wink handshake deal in place with somebody either through free agency or a trade that hasn't had the last details worked out.

PDG is about to get a hell of a raise...

34 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

I am going to throw a hypothetical situation out there for comment and see what the responses are, because I seriously do not know the answer.  Lets say we are able to sign Justin Williams to a 2 year, 8 million dollar contract.  However the contract calls for 7 million this year and 1 million next year.  Usually, the cap hit is spread out evenly over the life of the contract (4m, 4m).  Can we actually charge the cap it as the money is paid out (7m,1m)?  That would allow us to get to the cap floor this year and reduce our hit and salary expense next year, when we have to pay 4 key RFAs.

What say you?

That is an easy answer....no.

21 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

PDG is about to get a hell of a raise...

XM Morning team was warning (in general) about this exact thing, and how paying too much for a mid-guy will kill a team in the long run.

Better to have your handcuffs on TRUE top 3 talent versus "projected" or "hoped for" top 3 talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

What say you?

No you can't and doing that scenario is dangerous.  If Williams retires after season 1, he will incur a penalty to the cap for front loading the contract.  It makes sense based on how much money we'll spend next year.  Its a risk though (although we wont be a cap team).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

XM Morning team was warning (in general) about this exact thing, and how paying too much for a mid-guy will kill a team in the long run.

Better to have your handcuffs on TRUE top 3 talent versus "projected" or "hoped for" top 3 talent.

I heard that too. And, I am sure you caught it, but I was just joking. But taking a stupid idea (mine) and carrying the explanation of it to the unnecessary extreme, I would think it would be just a one year contract. ;)

Lots of ways to get to the cap floor that won't thrill anyone here.

There has been a ton of talk about how the upcoming McDavid contract changes the landscape for the entire NHL, whereas milking these young guys for their entire entry level period will be a thing of the past.  If you do, retribution comes later when FA time comes.

So...  paying someone like Slavin ahead of time comes into the picture.  No one probably wants to think about some of those necessities but we may have to pay some of these guys earlier than we would like.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

J Williams- wants a cup

He's got three.

Not saying he doesn't want another--who wouldn't. But offer him a three-year deal, the C, and a long-term role in the org after his playing days are over, and who knows??

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Agree. There's another shoe to drop here.

If Thornton and Marleau want to play together so much, do they go into free agency thinking they'd have to give a discount to do so?  And then a team like Carolina, who has the money, could surprise them with an offer that doesn't take advantage of a discount, but perhaps shorter term.  I'm not saying either of them are McDavid, of course, but i could totally rally behind Francis bringing them in.  Even at this point in their careers, i smell playoffs if they're up there.  Presuming Thornton can still skate without a walker, of course...

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Agree. There's another shoe to drop here.

Probably Chicago.  Take Hossa's contract with Anisimov.  Hossa will be LTIR'd.  So no issue.  When he comes back, he'll be paid 1 million a year with a 5 million cap hit.

50 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Lots of ways to get to the cap floor that won't thrill anyone here.

There has been a ton of talk about how the upcoming McDavid contract changes the landscape for the entire NHL, whereas milking these young guys for their entire entry level period will be a thing of the past.  If you do, retribution comes later when FA time comes.

So...  paying someone like Slavin ahead of time comes into the picture.  No one probably wants to think about some of those necessities but we may have to pay some of these guys earlier than we would like.

Well, Slavin looks like he'll probably end up top 2.  So, fine, get him signed. 

But how does that help the cap for THIS year?  Signing a contract for later doesn't do squat this year, right?  

Maybe it will just be a one year overpayment for some FA.  Next year, the floor won't be a problem because some guys will be paid.

Now that I'm talking about it, I'm panicking again.  I mean, the team may fight to reach the floor, and it even includes dead money (and you guys are talking about adding even more dead money).  Who was it that snapped me out of it yesterday?  I need your help.  I'm depressed again.  I just don't see how scraping the floor results in a competitive team.  It just does happen.  If it does, can someone point out the teams that did it?  Teams at 29 or 30 who got in the playoffs?

Edited by wxray1

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

But how does that help the cap for THIS year?  Signing a contract for later doesn't do squat this year, right?  

Maybe it will just be a one year overpayment for some FA.  Next year, the floor won't be a problem because some guys will be paid.

Now that I'm talking about it, I'm panicking again.  I mean, the team may fight to reach the floor, and it even includes dead money (and you guys are talking about adding even more dead money).  Who was it that snapped me out of it yesterday?  I need your help.  I'm depressed again.  I just don't see how scraping the floor results in a competitive team.  It just does happen.  If it does, can someone point out the teams that did it?  Teams at 29 or 30 who got in the playoffs?

Usually when you sign a contract that hasn't expired yet it usurps the current contract.  So it would include this season too.

That's why I said there are ways that won't thrill anyone.

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

Usually when you sign a contract that hasn't expired yet it usurps the current contract.  So it would include this season too.

Really?  Wow, I didn't know that.  I really don't understand.  I mean, we signed Eddie Lack but it didn't kick in for one full season, right?.  But the financials kicked in?  The term was added, hence he is (actually was given yesterday's actions) still with the team.

Damn that's cool.  I'm in the wrong business.

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Correct.

5 minutes ago, hag65 said:

No, this is not true. Hedman played all last season on his expiring contract. If the Bolts would have had to count his contract he signed last summer, they would have been over the cap. So signing Slavin or Pesce or Hanifin to extensions does nothing for our cap in 2017-2018. 

There are 2 ways you can do it, extend or replace, as far as I know.  But I could be wrong, bringing other sports into this.  I'm no expert.