The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Canes GM Ron Francis says team has reached out to Justin Williams.

and followed by this. I had to take a double take.

1 minute ago

Francis said he has run some "not-cheap options" past owner Peter Karmanos. Said was told if makes team better he has Karmanos' "blessing."

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:
Expects van Riemsdyk-Fleury to be the 5-6 pairing.

I can dig that.  But is it because Fleury displaces Dahlbeck, or is it because Dahlbeck goes to the 3-4 pairing after Hanifin is traded for Dudeman?

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

OK, now I'm drooling.

Do what??? Is this for real or are we just trying to get fan interest?  Although not cheap is highly subjective.  Not cheap for PK could be a drop in the bucket to 25 of the other 30 GMs.

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

and followed by this. I had to take a double take.

Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 1m1 minute ago

Francis said he has run some "not-cheap options" past owner Peter Karmanos. Said was told if makes team better he has Karmanos' "blessing."

WHOO HOO!!

Kinda puts the pressure on RF now, no?  That would eliminate PK as a reason he couldn't get something done.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Do what??? Is this for real or are we just trying to get fan interest?  Although not cheap is highly subjective.  Not cheap for PK could be a drop in the bucket to 25 of the other 30 GMs.

Yeah, not cheap could be 3.5 to 4 mil,lol

WOW!

This makes me think of all kinds of things, each more wonderful on the ice than the last.

I'm not saying Radulov, but who knows? He is not Semin. OK, I hope not. But the guy can score and is physical.

It's funny but the idea of Marleau and Thornton both is not totally crazy either. And yes, they would get it done. Holy cow. One adds tons of assists, the other 25 goals. And they'd be, in effect, our 8-9 guys in terms of who they replace.

And the mother of all splashes: the meteor in the ocean splash: just jack up a mega offer to Draisaitl. Go completely anti what everyone keeps wringing hands on: big long term contracts. First. IF we could sign him for $9.8 million even, the compensation would be two firsts, a second and a third rounder. If we got Draisaitl for that? First, Draisaitl makes us an instant playoff team, so we'd be picking late. Second, we have: Necas, Gauthier, Roy, Kuokannen and more up front, and Fleury and Bean on the back. We can skip a couple of picks. Plus, it's really losing one first rounder since we get Draisaitl himself. That is a no brainer if they wouldn't match.

We could go even higher, but then it's 4 first rounders. Now, don't get me wrong, that would still be worth it. Draisaitl could well become the 2nd best 1C in the game after McDavid himself, but with McDavid at $13 million, how high would you go?

Another, sort of nasty option is to threaten to throw a massive offer at him: $12 million, OR we could make a trade. 2 first rounders, Fleury, Roy and a second rounder. Something like that.

Francis lowered the bar with the "top 9" comment, but now he's raising it again. Better do something.

I think we've had confirmation of Francis talking at least to Williams and Marleau.

Francis knows he has to do something.

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

WHOO HOO!!

Kinda puts the pressure on RF now, no?  That eliminates PK as a reason he couldn't get something done.

Not the typical close to the vest RF. 

If PK has really opened his checkbook this may be a moot point, but for the sake of thoroughness the provision below is copied right out of the CBA:

11.10 No Renegotiation.
In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in any terms of a Player's SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an SPC (except as provided for in Section 11.8(b)). This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof, or from negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Not the typical close to the vest RF. 

Something had to 95% done to give away 2 NHL players for a ECHL guy.  He is still playing it pretty close though.  We have zero idea what "not cheap" is. 

If it were Joe and Marleau, it would be great for us. Leadership, scoring, size, and sets up for the future really good.  

we'll have a lot of talent trying to make the big club over the next 2 years.  We'll need good short term veterans until then. 

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Something had to 95% done to give away 2 NHL players for a ECHL guy.  He is still playing it pretty close though.  We have zero idea what "not cheap" is. 

If it were Joe and Marleau, it would be great for us. Leadership, scoring, size, and sets up for the future really good.  

we'll have a lot of talent trying to make the big club over the next 2 years.  We'll need good short term veterans until then. 

Yeah, but Murphy has already been put on waivers. Glad to be rid of him,just an albatross for the last several years.

1. Brind'Amour on Williams: "I've been pushing hard to get Justin. What he can do for us in this locker room is what we need."

2. Count Rod Brind'Amour among those who would like to see the Canes sign Justin Williams. He's strongly in Williams' corner.

"It's important for us to instill in them how hard we expect for them to work." —Brind'Amour on #CanesCamp

I

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:
  1. Brind'Amour on Williams: "I've been pushing hard to get Justin. What he can do for us in this locker room is what we need."

2. Count Rod Brind'Amour among those who would like to see the Canes sign Justin Williams. He's strongly in Williams' corner.

"It's important for us to instill in them how hard we expect for them to work." —Brind'Amour on #CanesCamp

Has to help when Roddy and Francis are making the pitch.

Doubt Williams by himself is the "not cheap" option though.  Don't get me wrong. I think adding J Willy could get us there. But can't imagine he's going to break the bank. But who knows?

Edited by remkin

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Doubt Williams by himself is the "not cheap" option though.  Don't get me wrong. I think adding J Willy could get us there. But can't imagine he's going to break the bank. But who knows?

In this year FA market I doubt he will be cheap. If ten teams are interested his price is probable rising . But point taken.

Just now, OBXer said:

In this year FA market I doubt he will be cheap. If ten teams are interested his price is probable rising . But point taken.

Yeah but J Willy AND someone.....that would be not cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

There are 2 ways you can do it, extend or replace, as far as I know.  But I could be wrong, bringing other sports into this.  I'm no expert.

I thought the replace thing was more of a football thing.  They do this because it isn't guaranteed.

In NHL, everything is guaranteed.  (Ask RF how he feels about "He Who Shall Not Be Named")  So when they announce contracts, it is usually for the NEXT one. 

But maybe there is another way.

PK has opened the checkbook before so I will take both him and RF at their word that "not cheap" is really not chump change.  Go go go, spend spend spend, we want playoffs dammit.

• Like 2

So they're pushing hard for Jwilly, that's been confirmed by Brind'Amour and Chip Alexander. Also, they refuse to call Jagr, who I personally want if he accepts a cheap 1 year contract. 

As far as "not cheap", I sense JWilly doesn't count as that. Imagine we move Faulk and sign Shattenkirk to gap that hole. That'd be interesting. Doubtful, but I'm bored so :P

The value of Williams beyond the ice is what you are paying for, and I'd be ecstatic to have him on the team for a couple more years.  But, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Fingers crossed though, and I just rubbed a red-headed kid's head.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

or is it because Dahlbeck goes to the 3-4 pairing after Hanifin is traded for Dudeman?

I don't think so. I think Dahlbeck is the guy Fleury watches from the press box when he needs to step back from the ice.