The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The value of Williams beyond the ice is what you are paying for, and I'd be ecstatic to have him on the team for a couple more years.  But, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Fingers crossed though, and I just rubbed a red-headed kid's head.

And he brings more than points on the ice too. The guy never takes a shift off and works hard on the boards.

27 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

As far as "not cheap", I sense JWilly doesn't count as that. Imagine we move Faulk and sign Shattenkirk to gap that hole. That'd be interesting. Doubtful, but I'm bored so :P

I was thinking the same thing. Sign Shattenkirk making hanifin or faulk available for Duschene.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

Think us?

Yes I have come around to a J Willey return. If he is good enough for Brindy he is good enough for me.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

Yes I have come around to a J Willey return. If he is good enough for Brindy he is good enough for me.

Another thing, though it's probably true of other teams too, but easier of a team you've been a part of, we make post hockey jobs for guys too, and Williams could fit in here after hockey.

If we don't entice a better option to come to Raleigh, Jagr could be an interesting option.  I've got to believe he'd spike fan interest as well as what he produces on the ice.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-jagrsaurus-is-not-extinct/

By the standards of any age, Jagr was downright great two seasons ago with the Florida Panthers, ranking 16th among forwards with 9.2 PS. Although Father Time caught up with him last year, he still managed to finish 113th with 4.9 PS — roughly the same as twentysomethings Claude Giroux, Michael Frolik and Nathan MacKinnon. For the typical team, that kind of production would warrant a spot on the second line (if not the first!). And Jagr looked even better under the microscope of fancier stats, with a relative Corsi1 (an estimate of how well a player helps his team possess the puck) that ranked ninth-best among forwards who played at least 60 games last season.

[PS=point shares, a metric to estimate a players overall value to a team] http://www.hockey-reference.com/about/point_shares.html

some more comparisons for reference on PS: Jagr 4.9,  Galchenyuk 4.9, Evander Kane 5.1, highest Cane forward was Skinner at #18oa = 8.8.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=rSdCl

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

By the standards of any age, Jagr was downright great two seasons ago

I like Jags but this is the problem. When you're pushing 40 one bad year is cause for concern. When you're pushing 50 it's the end of the line. Jags will get an offer in Russia, and we'll see then how serious he is about playing to 50. Methinks that interest only applies to the NHL.

OTOH, I could totally see Rutherford signing him for old times' sake.

Edited by top-shelf-1

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I like Jags but this is the problem. When you're pushing 40 one bad year is cause for concern. When you're pushing 50 it's the end of the line. Jags will get an offer in Russia, and we'll see then how serious he is about playing to 50. Methinks that interest only applies to the NHL.

In the recent video, RF says he hasn't spoken to or considered Jags.  The question was so far out of the box for him, he needed clarity to answer it.

So, no Jags.  Pretty certain.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I like Jags but this is the problem. When you pushing 40 one bad year is cause for concern. When you're pushing 50 it's the end of the line. Jags will get an offer in Russia, and we'll see then how serious he is about playing to 50. Methinks that interest only applies to the NHL.

I can understand wanting to avoid a 46yo forward.  But I have a hard time categorizing Jagr's last season as "bad", and the article implied quite the opposite.  Here is the excerpt again:

" . . . he still managed to finish 113th with 4.9 PS — roughly the same as twentysomethings Claude Giroux, Michael Frolik and Nathan MacKinnon. For the typical team, that kind of production would warrant a spot on the second line (if not the first!). And Jagr looked even better under the microscope of fancier stats, with a relative Corsi1 (an estimate of how well a player helps his team possess the puck) that ranked ninth-best among forwards who played at least 60 games last season."  

I hope (and trust) we can do better, but I'd hardly call Jagr's last season "bad". 

Edited by LakeLivin

via Rumor Roundup Lyle Richardson (thn.com)

Patrick Marleau: The 37-year-old Sharks forward tallied 27 goals in 2016-17, marking the 14th time he's reached the 20-goal plateau in his long career. According to The Athletic's Craig Custance, the Sharks, Kings, Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Anaheim Ducks, Carolina Hurricanes and Nashville Predators are in the mix for the veteran winger's services.

Marleau's likely preference is to finish his career in San Jose, but he could test the market for a better deal. His fate could be tied to that of Thornton's.

from same article:

Justin Williams: Despite his age, the 35-year-old Williams remains a reliable second-line scoring right winger. Dreger believes the Dallas Stars could have some interest.

The IslandersFlyers, and Lightning are also said to be among the teams courting Williams.

Stars, Isles, Flyers, and Bolts are our competition here. (Two in our division :o)

Edited by SuckaPunchd

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

In spite of what the article said about Jagr's last season, you call it bad?  Here it is again:

" . . . he still managed to finish 113th with 4.9 PS — roughly the same as twentysomethings Claude Giroux, Michael Frolik and Nathan MacKinnon. For the typical team, that kind of production would warrant a spot on the second line (if not the first!). And Jagr looked even better under the microscope of fancier stats, with a relative Corsi1 (an estimate of how well a player helps his team possess the puck) that ranked ninth-best among forwards who played at least 60 games last season."  

I hope (and trust) we can do better, but I'd hardly call Jagr's last season "bad". 

I read it the first time.

The problem isn't the decline itself. It's not knowing how fast the decline will be from here on out, and frankly, the novelty aspect of bringing him here. This team is poised to make a serious run. I don't think Jags can be trusted in more than a fourth-line/second PP role at this point, and on our team, putting him in the top six is an insult to the kids who have worked their butts off to get there.

Anything over 12 minutes a night for a guy his age is only hastening his decline, and we're full up with fourth-liners anyway--at least a couple of whom can contribute on both the PP and PK, and get up and down the ice by the time Jags hits the red line. He's a great story, but burning a roster spot on him? No thanks. Let him continue writing his story somewhere else.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Not the typical close to the vest RF. 

I think this is a very important observation.

He wants this out there for whatever bargaining reason....and I doubt it for a UFA to hear. My guess is he is negotiating with the Oilers (or another team) and has intimated about an offer sheet and wants this out there to show he is serious, or this may be put out there to show Sakic that we have other options and if he wants to move Duchene, he should come down on his price otherwise we will fix our problems in an other way.

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, but here's two things J Williams would bring to the club:  1.  Tenacity.  He's not a huge man but is quick with the stick and has the skill to put himself into position to maintain enough possession of the puck to either shoot or pass.  He's very crafty and usually knows where his teammates are on the ice.  2.  This team needs to win, yet also needs to put butts in the seats.  A lot of "older" fans have faded away since the glory days - his is a name that is remembered and could possibly help with a few ticket sales.  I'll be there regardless, but it's a heck of a lot more fun when the house is full.

It's been a while since I've posted.  Thanks to the regulars who keep this site worth reading.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Or he's trying to show fans he's trying even if he drops the ball again. Can be taken almost any direction really.

I guess you could spin it that way. But I don't think that is Francis's way of doing things. Remember at the end of the season press conference when Peters was talking about all the picks they can use for trading at and after the expansion draft and how he had people in mind, Ron pumped the breaks on that with a comment (can't remember the exact wording) that was something like "we'll see" or "need trading partners". I can't see Ron going to the trouble of talking to PK to get budgetary permission just to blow sunshine up our....

7 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I guess you could spin it that way. But I don't think that is Francis's way of doing things.

I agree. With no exceptions I can recall, Ronnie has said what he's meant and followed through on it. This means he doesn't always say as much as we might like, but it also means he doesn't blow smoke. On the ice he was a guy who saw what was needed and got it done without overplaying his hand. He's taken the same approach as GM.

I'm just saying he's letting us know he's trying and it doesn't mean it's going to happen. Like flipping draft picks.

If he strikes out the remainder of the offseason, fan trust is going to start slipping and it'd be even worse if we didn't know something like PK gave his blessing.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I read it the first time.

The problem isn't the decline itself. It's not knowing how fast the decline will be from here on out, and frankly, the novelty aspect of bringing him here. This team is poised to make a serious run. I don't think Jags can be trusted in more than a fourth-line/second PP role at this point, and on our team, putting him in the top six is an insult to the kids who have worked their butts off to get there.

Anything over 12 minutes a night for a guy his age is only hastening his decline, and we're full up with fourth-liners anyway--at least a couple of whom can contribute on both the PP and PK, and get up and down the ice by the time Jags hits the red line. He's a great story, but burning a roster spot on him? No thanks. Let him continue writing his story somewhere else.

Ok, that's different from saying that Jagr had a bad year last season (which you did) when in fact he arguably had a better season than any Canes forward not named Skinner or Aho.

And I don't disagree with those that point out that Jagr probably wouldn't be a great fit with the Canes due to speed, even if he is still at the same level he played at last year.

EDIT: one more thought:

If we brought in a player like Jagr because of the novelty, that would be a big mistake.

If we brought in someone like him on merit and he happened to also spike fan interest, that's actually a plus.

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Oh man!  If he signs I will be right again.  Remember, it was me who started this one.

I was right there with ya BD58  

B.D. Gallof: “NHL source: Duchene to #Isles dead”

JJ Regan: With Oshie signing “This almost certainly means Justin Williams will be gone. #Caps

I would not be surprised if RF picks him up if the price is right.

All the glory will goto Mrs. Wxray actually. Just trying to give props to the right person. 

On 5/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, wxray1 said:

Innocent question.  Mrs. Wxray was asking.  "How about J. Williams for 2 years for a few mil?"

Old like Kovi, still has something in him though.  Team player.

But old, and not sure about retreads.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Hate going over on Hockey Buzz!! We are almost NEVER mentioned there, ever, and this time, almost every player that is being discussed here in said to be going elsewhere, most notably Williams. He is rumored on the tracker to be looked at strongly by Preds. Seems invariably that this period is the one I suffer the greatest for our team, and just hope that all our wishes are not dashed this time around. Come on Ronnie, make this happen!!!