The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

All the glory will goto Mrs. Wxray actually. Just trying to give props to the right person. 

Just told her, and she's still pumped at the idea and graciously accepts the kudos.  :thumbsup:

Come on, Ronnie!

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hate going over on Hockey Buzz!! We are almost NEVER mentioned there, ever, and this time, almost every player that is being discussed here in said to be going elsewhere, most notably Williams. He is rumored on the tracker to be looked at strongly by Preds. Seems invariably that this period is the one I suffer the greatest for our team, and just hope that all our wishes are not dashed this time around. Come on Ronnie, make this happen!!!

Hate to tell you but I listened to both TSN insider sessions about Duchene, Joe, Marleau, J Williams, etc.  not one mention as a possibility for any big name.  Not one.  So I think it's just about clicks so they talk about the big teams / recently successful ones.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hate to tell you but I listened to both TSN insider sessions about Duchene, Joe, Marleau, J Williams, etc.  not one mention as a possibility for any big name.  Not one.  So I think it's just about clicks so they talk about the big teams / recently successful ones.

Bottom of the cap list are off everyone's radar.

And for good reason.  What have they done in the past?  Traded dead money after the frenzy (cough, cough, Mr. Arizona himself, Chris Pronger).  So, why should they spend any time with us?  If the Canes do that with Hossa... I'll be apoplectic.

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

that's different from saying that Jagr had a bad year last season (which you did)

Whatever Lake. He did have a bad year by any previous Jaromir Jagr standard, and I stand by that.

If we are passed over by everyone then we may do it.  Better get Anisimov out of the deal.  He is a good 2 C.  Hossa is going to be LTIR'd unless there is any chance he is able to come back. Which his deal is a PK special, high cap low salary.

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Whatever Lake. He did have a bad year by any previous Jaromir Jagr standard, and I stand by that.

Ok, you were comparing his last season to the rest of his career. I compared it to the rest of the league.  At least now I understand why our perspectives are so different.

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Ok, you were comparing his last season to the rest of his career. I compared it to the rest of the league.  At least now I understand why our perspectives are so different.

Fair enough. I think comparing Jagr to Jagr is the best way to assess how quick his decline may be. That being said, I don't know how much gas we can count on anybody over 40 having in his tank after a stretch drive in today's NHL. 

52 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Just told her, and she's still pumped at the idea and graciously accepts the kudos.  :thumbsup:

Come on, Ronnie!

I should know by now that Mrs. WXRAY has her finger on the pulse of the team!!

Darren Dreger: Justin Williams is down to three or four teams. Williams was high on the Dallas Stars list. The Nashville Predators poked around are still in the mix. Word is Williams would like to stay in the East – so the Lightning, Philadelphia Flyers and New York Islanders.

Hey, what are we, chopped liver? We're in the East.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Darren Dreger: Justin Williams is down to three or four teams. Williams was high on the Dallas Stars list. The Nashville Predators poked around are still in the mix. Word is Williams would like to stay in the East – so the Lightning, Philadelphia Flyers and New York Islanders.

Hey, what are we, chopped liver? We're in the East.

Yep we didn't get a single mention from any of the 3 expects.  We are chop liver.  We'll see what we can get but I expect we'll end up taking Hossa's contract to get Anisimov and getting a Capitals forward for pennies  on the dollar.  Both teams will be well above the cap after tomorrow.

I think I'm going to stick to my guns and expect us not to do much but acquire a 35 - 40 point guy.  I will be surprised if J Willy or Thornton is signed here tomorrow.   It just better not be Nail the fail.

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Stop With The Negative Waves

coastal, I'm with you on this for the simple reason that I don't think I've ever seen Ron be so vocal in his statements about acquisitions? If he were not confident in a move, I don't think he'd be so up front in his thoughts, particularly as fragile as the fan base is right now for some hope?

I can see Tampa having a leg up, they are a perennial powerhouse off an off year. Have Stamkos et all. And yes, NYI and Philly both have high skilled centers, but really all three of those teams finished out of the playoffs and just barely above us. Hard to see the NYI or Philly as close to a cup.

I still have hope! We have the connection. He won a cup here, with Brindamour. And we can make it worth his while.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

We have the connection.

If he wants to stay in the East, I still like our chances. But let's not forget his Western connection: One Peter Laviolette. 

Does Darren Dreger know Dallas and Nashville are in the West? TBL are only team he mentioned that are in the east and could be said to be serious Cup contenders. I suspect if we are out of contention, RF already knows and is looking at other options. To quote Jimmy V, "don't give up, don't ever give up!"

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

It's 12 minutes into July 1 we've signed no one, we're failures. :(

It opens at noon. Was this sarcasm? My bad if I missed it.