The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Development Camp and Summerfest 2017

A place discuss and post observations and pics for the Development Camp and Summerfest

Summerfest info

Wednesday, June 28

5:30 p.m.: Team practice (open to public)

Thursday, June 29

5:30 p.m.: Team practice (open to public)

Friday, June 30

11:00 a.m.: Team practice (closed to public, streamed live on Hurricanes.com)

Saturday, July 1

12:00 p.m.: Canes Prospect Game (Summerfest Celebration begins at 10:00 a.m.)

Anyone go?  Also saw there videos of our 1st round picks last year on N & O.  They require a subscription.  Anything important in the videos? Or are the videos of them saying they want to make the club?

8 hours ago, hag65 said:

Who doesn't like that moxie?  Someone with some mahbles.

I assume you mean that Bean has the mahbles, not a person that doesn't like Bean's moxie. :P

Yeah, I really like Bean's attitude. But based on what the Canes brass has said about the role the AHL played in Slavin and Pesces development (regardless how brief), I'd be surprised if Bean started out the season in Raleigh, no matter what he does leading up to that point.  [Aho seems like an exception to that philosophy; Canes brass was expecting him to slot into the lineup well before camp even started.]  

edit: I forgot that Bean isn't AHL eligible. So if he really tore it up in camp and it came down to juniors or Canes, he might have more of a chance than if he were AHL eligible?

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago

At Canes development camp watching Nicolas Roy score almost every time he touches the puck in drills. Quite the sniper.

Canes with some 3-on-2 work and rolled out a line of Roy centering Gauthier and Kuokkanen. Give it a few years ..

2 hours ago

Mike Vellucci, the new head coach of the Charlotte Checkers, leading proceedings today.

Went to Prospect scrimmage.  Gauthier seemed literally heads above anybody out there.  Necas and Bean are smooth and confident guys vs Prospects.  Geekie looked to pop up around the puck and net consistently. Stelio Mattheos was active.  Eetu Luo...looked awkward in a tall body (fell down twice).  

Adding in to Manwolf's impressions:

As I mentioned earlier, our guys are noticeably big to huge. Lots of size out there.

Gauthier: Sooner than later. What a slick move he made. LOTS of chances. Rang one off the pipes too. Big, skates. Goes to the net. Dominant offensively, made a slick stick play defensively too. One pass to nowhere, but o/w just outstanding.

Necas. Look out. This kid is goooooood. Already stands out with speed and passing and creating chances. GREAT pick at #12. He and Bean and Gauthier as a group were toying with the opposition often. He is notably fast. Does things at speed. Skates well. Skinny, but when he fills out, he is going to be good.

Bean. The one D man who really stood out to my eye. (It's impossible to scout every player live in a setting like this). He is slick and skilled all over the ice. Good passer. One of the guys tried a pretty slick drag move on Bean and he just held firm, rubbed the guy out and the play was over. Made an incredibly slick high skill offensive play to set up one of the goals too.

Roy: Also looked good in spots. Huge. Good passer around the net. This guy could pile up assists.

Foegle. Has the skills. He made a serious of just sick moves on one play I remember. He's solid too. Good along the boards.

Cotton. Had some nice moments. Keep an eye on him. Sick shootout move yesterday.

Kuokannen: Solid. Some skilled plays too. He's a good sized kid too. Sick shootout move.

Smallman: Didn't notice him as much, but he's supposed to be very solid. He did have a great shootout move too.

There were others too. The overall level of skill is high. So, size and skill. Not bad.

Edited by remkin

Y'all do realize these are our best prospects playing with our so-so prospects, yeah? 

When they dominate at the Prospects tourney again, I'll get excited.

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Y'all do realize these are our best prospects playing with our so-so prospects, yeah? 

Is that what the other numbered Red and White cones were? ;)

• Like 1

Had to miss this one because of attending a funeral.  Don't worry, it wasn't mine.

I haven't missed a rookie camp group in a lot of years.  I will say that looking at the roster, the only players under 6' were a couple of invitees.  That says a lot about a change of attitude on size from the JR years.  Now don't go getting yer knickers in a knot.  Smaller guys can contribute too, but they are outliers.  When you come back at me with your argument and name 2 or 4 good small players, just remember you are proving my point because they stand out when they are big contributors.  I'll just answer Boychuk and Murphy if you argue this.

Last year, Gauthier was impressive in that he scored top shelf coming down the left side at full speed and got off a slapper in stride.  Other than that, he looked a little lost.  Glad to hear that he seems to be looking better.  Also, glad to hear Necas is looking like the real deal and KooKoo for Cocopuffs is too.  Roy remains a good story.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Had to miss this one because of attending a funeral.  Don't worry, it wasn't mine.

I haven't missed a rookie camp group in a lot of years.  I will say that looking at the roster, the only players under 6' were a couple of invitees.  That says a lot about a change of attitude on size from the JR years.  Now don't go getting yer knickers in a knot.  Smaller guys can contribute too, but they are outliers.  When you come back at me with your argument and name 2 or 4 good small players, just remember you are proving my point because they stand out when they are big contributors.  I'll just answer Boychuk and Murphy if you argue this.

Last year, Gauthier was impressive in that he scored top shelf coming down the left side at full speed and got off a slapper in stride.  Other than that, he looked a little lost.  Glad to hear that he seems to be looking better.  Also, glad to hear Necas is looking like the real deal and KooKoo for Cocopuffs is too.  Roy remains a good story.

You're going to poke that bear in this thread instead of the Great Size Debate one, lol?

First off, I love that we've got big prospects in the pipeline.  I do have a follow up to your comments about size, but I'll stick it over in the other thread.

41 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

You're going to poke that bear in this thread instead of the Great Size Debate one, lol?

First off, I love that we've got big prospects in the pipeline.  I do have a follow up to your comments about size, but I'll stick it over in the other thread.

More about rookie camp than size.  My comments are from someone who has been to a bunch of these over the years and last year's group was noticeably bigger than previous years.  It's just how RF is building the team. 

I would say that I'm more impressed though because of the overall depth of skill. I'd like to see a replay of that play by Foegle, it was seriously sick. So even though it is versus other, perhaps lesser prospects, our lesser prospects are greater than in the past.

There are different levels for sure, but I always like to see a few prospects really stand clearly out in a good way, and the guys I listed did to my eye anyways.

I'm really encouraged at the depth and skill of our prospect pool. I know that was Francis plan, but planning it and doing it are two different things. I think he's doing it.

Thinking back to the days when Dalpe was the golden boy, and Boychuk and Bowman rounded out out 3 top prospects? We have guys picked in the late rounds that are as good or better. And it was even worse on D, and now we have elite depth.

Most fans really can't be bothered with prospects. The prospect area of the board gets very few views. I get it. It's hard enough to keep up with NHL and a few AHL players, and the majority of prospects won't even sniff the NHL.

But the organizational depth Francis has built is really quite remarkable and is on display in this camp. That most of these guys did win Traverse City does speak to that too. This is the most organization depth this franchise has had, at least in Carolina, and BY FAR.

If we can get past this year and to a lesser extent next year, the arrival of guys like Gauthier, Necas, Roy, Kuokannen, Foegle, Smallman, Cotton, Fleury, Bean etc. will be amazing. To me that is the greatness of signing J Williams to help us win at least some now, until the full vision can unfold.

Edited by remkin

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

More about rookie camp than size.  My comments are from someone who has been to a bunch of these over the years and last year's group was noticeably bigger than previous years.  It's just how RF is building the team. 

Gotcha, and that's why I'll put any comments about size over in the other thread.  And thanks for the feedback; nice to hear some firsthand feedback about our yutes!