• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email address to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Broadcast Team back

Forslund, Kaiton and Tracy to Return to Hurricanes Broadcasts by Ken Preston

"John, Chuck and Tripp are among the very best, and longest-tenured broadcasters in the NHL," said Waddell. "A generation has grown up with the three of them as the voices of the Carolina Hurricanes, and we are pleased they will continue in their roles moving forward."

In appreciation of 20 years of Hurricanes broadcasters’ work

All three are indispensable parts of the Hurricanes’ history and current landscape. They may not be the unabashed “homers” Peter Karmanos has said publicly he would prefer, but fans certainly appreciate their willingness, each to various degrees at various times, to call things as they are

Yeah, at least we got that, right?  That's worth something, right?  Brings fannies into the seats at PNC.  Oh wait...  Nevermind.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, ironman87 said:

Kaiton and Forslund are as strong a lead broadcasting team as their is.  We are lucky to have them. 

Agreed, kaiton a hall of fame radio guy and forslund just such a professional.. but good lord, why bring back tripp?? the act is tired, contrite and worn out...really had hoped they would add someone new

I'm apparently in the extreme minority - i enjoy Tripp just as much as John.  Their chemistry is perfect and on the occasions i hear John doing a non-Canes game, i'm usually disappointed Tripp isn't doing it with him.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm apparently in the extreme minority - i enjoy Tripp just as much as John.  Their chemistry is perfect and on the occasions i hear John doing a non-Canes game, i'm usually disappointed Tripp isn't doing it with him.

I also think Tripp generally does a good job, although I wouldn't put him in the same category as Forslund.  When I first started watching Canes broadcasts in '14-'15 it seemed like Tripp had a lot of "ruh?" moments, and there were times when I almost wondered if he was drunk.  But those have decreased substantially since then, and now it's fairly rare that I find him to be annoying.  I think his insightful/ annoying quotient is quite acceptable these days .

If my perception that Tripp has gotten better over the past couple of years is true, I wonder if some of the people who really dislike Tripp are fans who suffered through his earlier work, which might set opinions that are understandably hard to change no matter what Tripp is doing these days?  This question brought to you by:

859cc0f9a2a6eca8a11f5af76936d249--peanut

Edited by LakeLivin

As a cable-cutter who was without TV games for a couple years and listened to Chuck instead, I'm wondering if a lot of the love for him here isn't born of nostalgia more than his current body of work. I know we've all got our pet peeves, but Chuck sounds like a grumpy old man at times and completely disinterested in the action on the ice at others. Long trips down memory lane while the action is playing out are suddenly interrupted with "...and he scores!!" followed by Chuck trying to figure out who, how, and why. When Chuck sticks to calling the play he's very good, but he needs to accept that

- the days of players freezing the puck along the boards for a face-off whenever they need one are over

- the red line is not coming back, and

- stories of yesteryear are for intermissions and long delays, not while play is on.

Maniscalco was in the booth for home-game second periods much of the year, and the difference was remarkable. Chuck needs a full-time color man, home and away, and Mike would be a great choice (despite his Buffalo roots :) ). There's clearly chemistry between the two, and Chuck can't carry the broadcast alone anymore.  

I'm good with Tripp. Sometimes he says things that make me shake my head and then I usually smile. He does act as a foil for Forslund and anyone who has ever had to fill that kind of spot knows it isn't always that easy. He also, I think had to learn on the job in front of everyone. He does share insight and often sees and says things that otherwise would of been overlooked. At a locale level a color guy does need to add a flavor to the broadcast and he does. Yes..I'm good with Tripp.

Forslund and Kaiton are among the best. 

Sorry about my previous post.  I was grumpy over our team situation at that time.  :)

Forslund is really excellent, and I think we can see that NBCSN agrees as they have clearly slotted him in the top 4.  We're lucky to have him.

Tripp has grown on me kind of like lichen.  It doesn't really do anything, and even adds a little interest.  He actually does have some good points too.  I would like him to be a bit less wordy, and cut out the "the Canes may look back at <x>" phrasing.  Otherwise, he'll do.  His stunt during the meltdown was unique.  What more can I say about that?  Tripp did have one spin with NBCSN playoffs, and hasn't been back since.  So, consider him a "depth player."  That's OK.

Chuck.  Love the guy, but agree he is getting cranky.  I really have liked the experiment of having him paired with a color guy.  Every other team does this.  Chuck is the only solo holdout.  It is time to give him a partner to bounce things against, and maybe look to a future transition.

Edited by wxray1

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Chuck.  Love the guy, but agree he is getting cranky. 

I think a decade of calling mostly losing teams will do that to you. B)

Oh, and I think Maniscalco is an improvement over Michelle, who was a big improvement over Chantel.  I say that even thought I liked looking at them in the reverse order. :P

I hated MM on the radio.  He isn't bad on TV.

John is world class and we are lucky to have him.  Tripp is goofy at times, but a good sidekick to Forslund.  If you ever get a chance to talk to Tripp, he is a genuinely good guy, and cares about the players and the game. 

Chuck is an "old time hockey" guy.  At times, sounds like somebody's drunk uncle on the broadcast, buts that's part of his charm.  A friend and I attended Hurricanes U one year and Chuck did part of it.  He asked "Who doesn't like the shootout?"  My buddy's hand and mine were the only ones that went up.  He asked why.  I said they might as well play Rock, Paper, Scissors.  In that gravely, cigar voice of his, he says "Exactly". I love that guy.

John is universal. The guy is just about as beloved as it gets. Not only is he great at what he does, but he, like Tripp is also a genuinely good guy to talk to. He seems very humble and engages with genuine interest. This is true for many in the Cane's organization from what I've experienced.

I like Tripp. Sometimes I cringe,  yes, but I like him. Maybe it's the familiar, maybe it was getting to meet him also, back years ago during the STH party. But he was also very easy to talk to, and loves talking hockey. He is actually quite smart, and like John puts in long hours to have facts and knowledge at his finger tips. Color is in some ways a trickier skill than play by play, and probably easier to say something nutty, which will happen on occasion. But a lot of the time when you listen to the aftermath and John comes on and shares stuff, if you tape the game and listen to the after game banter, a lot of it came from Trip's observations.

The two of them seem to genuinely enjoy working together, and have their own particular chemistry that has become familiar in a good way.

I've always liked Chuck but don't listen to hockey on the radio much. I DVR every game and don't want to know what happened before I see them. He's always seemed excellent to me. I will say that listening to XM clips of other announcers that go beyond nuts with making it about themselves, with things like, "he scooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrs! Call your Grandma and tell her to hang out the lantern because tonight, we're making biscuits in the frying pan.........etc etc. etc." Makes me so glad to have these guys.

Remkin reminded me about some of the other team's radio guys.

I take back anything negative I said about Chuck.  Chuck, stay forever!    Please.

For example, Dave Mishkin of Tampa Bay is just ridiculous.  You don't have to scream like that.  It isn't funny, it isn't useful.  Every goal is not like getting your foot caught in a meat grinder.  Ease up, buddy.

I got to talk with Chuck while waiting for a plane once.  He is authentic, and a bit salty when the microphones are off.  :)

P.S. I think Remkin is quoting the announcer for the Pens.  His trite little sayings are ... just unnecessary, especially when you have a good team.  Why pour ridiculousness on top of your team's skill?   He is not a good comedian.

Edited by wxray1

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Remkin reminded me about some of the other team's radio guys.

I take back anything negative I said about Chuck.  Chuck, stay forever!    Please.

For example, Dave Mishkin of Tampa Bay is just ridiculous.  You don't have to scream like that.  It isn't funny, it isn't useful.  Every goal is not like getting your foot caught in a meat grinder.  Ease up, buddy.

I got to talk with Chuck while waiting for a plane once.  He is authentic, and a bit salty when the microphones are off.  :)

P.S. I think Remkin is quoting the announcer for the Pens.  His trite little sayings are ... just unnecessary, especially when you have a good team.  Why pour ridiculousness on top of your team's skill?   He is not a good comedian.

I don't disagree with any of this. But even Gene Hart needed a color guy. Chuck does too.

John paired up with Daryl Reaugh in Dallas are the best pbp/color duo in the industry, and it's not even close.  Glad we still have John, and I love watching Razor out here in OK.

As long as they don't get too use to Forslund? And please powers that be, find someone reasonable for the Aftermass(Aftermath,can never tell which they are saying). Maniscalco use to be a breath of fresh air on the long trek home after games. I'd rather have wisdom teeth pulled than listen to the dude they have now?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Is it just me, or is Tripp actually getting BETTER this season?  He's got less of the "WTH did he just say?" moments and more color comments of actual substance.

46 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Is it just me, or is Tripp actually getting BETTER this season?  He's got less of the "WTH did he just say?" moments and more color comments of actual substance.

I think he has been getting better every year although he still has his moments. He is much more professional than his early days.

Credit where it's due Tripp has listened to fan feed back (or black eyes) and worked to refine himself. He's still a bit weird but he's vastly improved and kudos to him for rolling with the punches and making himself better. I still don't love em but I certainly can stand him now versus his early days. 

John's amazing end of discussion.

Kinda glad to hear the differing opinions on Chuck, I can't stand his over-emphasis on even the most mundane plays. As a listener trying to paint a picture I find it impossible to know what's going on when a line change is apparently as amazing as a goal. 

I like Tripp and would be sad to see him go.  He says some silly stuff and I face palm from time to time but hey....it's entertaining and he knows his hockey and the Canes. 

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

As a listener trying to paint a picture I find it impossible to know what's going on when a line change is apparently as amazing as a goal. 

So true! :D

Edited by Caniac514

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I think he has been getting better every year although he still has his moments. He is much more professional than his early days.

Saved me some typing.  (I've only been watching from the '13-'14 season)

I like the Tripp - Forslund combo.

John's also got 13 years on Tripp, it's conceivable by the time Tripp's in his 50's he will be much more refined like John. Maybe. Kinda, sorta......ish.