• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email address to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

3 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This was actually the first thing I thought of. I have to wonder if RF's comment at Summerfest wasn't a bit of an olive branch, i.e., "Noah, we know you're gonna get there, you're just not yet."

Yeah, and his actual comment was about not trading a player of quality that the team "controls" for years, for a guy with two years left on his deal.

Now this was an answer to a question, so not sure if Francis was trying to talk to Hanifin through it, but the word "control" is key. The player does not control things at this point in his contract. He may not like it, but he doesn't control it. The team has the upper hand at this point. His agent knows it, but sometimes players don't (see Drouin Debacle).

Hopefully it gets worked out, but it does seem to have some potential to become an issue.

Soshnick looks like a longtime sports biz journalist for Bloomberg. If anybody's got NY contacts, it'd seem to be him. Gawd it'd be great to get a former Rags CEO in here--provided he bans Rag's sweaters when the Manhattan Menchildren come to town!!!

Edited by top-shelf-1

Greenberg seems to be a legit owner candidate: hockey biz experience, major and minor league ownership experience in the south, money to burn...

14 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Anybody else seen this?

Canes Sold for $500M

I have no idea if legit.

Holy Cow.

Timing makes sense. PK gets his Vegas money, then sells team.

First thought:

Legit source?

Second thought:

The source says team stays in Carolina.

Third thought:

Deep pockets? Spend to cap?

Fourth though:

Poor Quebec won't be able to bait us before every Montreal game.

Edited by remkin

Just when you think it's safe to go back to work something like this surfaces. Glued to the board.

The encouraging thing about the original tweet is it said Canes "who'll stay in Carolina, sources say"

As far as the hockey biz experience, his WIKI bio suggests he was the CEO at one time of the Texas Rangers, not the NY Rangers.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not the Broadway Blueshirts connection

former Texas Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg is close to buying the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes

I wonder if he played hardball!

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

As far as the hockey biz experience, his WIKI bio suggests he was the CEO at one time of the Texas Rangers, not the NY Rangers.

ahhh, right. Still hope he bans Rags sweaters :lol:

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I wonder who leaked this?

Mike Pence.

Thank god there is something new to talk about. :yippee:  Not saying the conversation in here was boring, old or anything of that nature, but the dog days are hard to get through.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Joking aside, it's interesting that the story is a pending deal, not a done one. Have to think there was mutual agreement that they're close enough to put it out there. The sooner the better from a fan interest/ticket sales POV, and allows them to quell in advance any concerns of a potential move.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Joking aside, it's interesting that the story is a pending deal, not a done one. Have to think there was mutual agreement that they're close enough to put it out there. The sooner the better from a fan interest/ticket sales POV.

Although still a pending deal that letter of intent does take it up a notch

Just now, OBXer said:

Although still a pending deal that letter of intent does take it up a notch

Yeah, I'd think Karmanos really wanted to assure everyone the team is staying.

Plus, it may be a letter of intent is required under NHL rules. I assume all sales must be approved by the League, so a letter of intent would be the legal document that sets the approval process in motion.

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Plus, it may be a letter of intent is required under NHL rules. I assume all sales must be approved by the League, so a letter of intent would be the legal document that sets the approval process in motion.

Exactly. I'm not sure about the rules or the negotiations only that a letter of intent confirms a sale is more than in the early stages. Still pending whatever hoops all sides have to jump through but sounds like a firm commitment to buy. I could be wrong.