The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

Light rail system.  Don't put everything in one place.  Make it easy to get to all the places.

Absolutely. Light rail could tie downtown with several other points of interest including PNC. It would promote commercial growth along its route and provide a convenient system to get around. If tied into public parking on the fringe of Raleigh it would provide an easier way to move around. At the same time the current PNC location does make it easier for those coming from out of area. The beauty is that it isn't an either/or as Light Rail and the current location/parking at PNC would just increase options.

13 hours ago, wxray1 said:

That's it!  Thanks top-shelf!  Damn, there's just no easily accessible promo info anymore.  Except I DO know where I can get coach approved water.

Sure there is easliy accessible promo info.  But you've got to have a Twitter account to find it, be a follower.  And to cash in?  You've gotta retweet or some other social media thingie.  

I'm feeling a little left out, time is passing me by.  And get off of my lawn!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Per WRAL, Greenberg meeting with minority investors in Raleigh, as the potential sale is moving along with no "red flags".  Some existing local investors looking to invest more under Greenberg's ownership.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/video/16841429/

Is Gravely plugged in to sensitive details, or is this just filler fluff? Would love to believe, but seems as if our local media leaves a great deal to be desired when comes to hockey news? Just asking and maybe he's more dependable that Chip or those bozos on 99.9, save for DG?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Is Gravely plugged in to sensitive details, or is this just filler fluff? Would love to believe, but seems as if our local media leaves a great deal to be desired when comes to hockey news? Just asking and maybe he's more dependable that Chip or those bozos on 99.9, save for DG?

Given that WRAL is owned by Jim Goodmon (who also owns the Durham Bulls and is a minority owner of the Canes and knows Greenberg from the Carolina League), my guess is that as far as the rumors and reports surrounding the current state of the Canes, he is probably "in the know."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I think it's no coincidence that Gravely is plugged into the latest news on the sale from Jim Goodman, and is leaking the info. 

13 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

It woukd be interesting if the Durham Bulls owner was involved.   That franchise is a money making machine. 

I have no knowledge one way or another, but I'd bet Goodmon is involved significantly. He was rumored to be interested in purchasing the team earlier but some of PK's conditions for the sale put him off. Couple that with the fact he knows Greenberg and reports are out there saying that some of the local investors in the Canes (which Goodmon is one) want to increase their share of the team as part of this new ownership group. All these signs make me think he will be a significant partner in the group. The only thing that makes me think he might not be part of the group is his recent partnership with the MLS bid. That may have taken some of his desire to get more heavily into the Hurricanes and channeled it elsewhere.

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

I have no knowledge one way or another, but I'd bet Goodmon is involved significantly. He was rumored to be interested in purchasing the team earlier but some of PK's conditions for the sale put him off. Couple that with the fact he knows Greenberg and reports are out there saying that some of the local investors in the Canes (which Goodmon is one) want to increase their share of the team as part of this new ownership group. All these signs make me think he will be a significant partner in the group. The only thing that makes me think he might not be part of the group is his recent partnership with the MLS bid. That may have taken some of his desire to get more heavily into the Hurricanes and channeled it elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see if Greenberg is the vocal face of the franchise he was for the Texas Rangers. My guess is that Goodmon, as a local guy, friend, and media guy, will be heavily involved with the messaging. I'd bet he consulted with PK and Greenberg on the timing of the leak of letter of intent, and perhaps word-smithed PK's "official" acknowledgement of the offer. In many ways, this feels like an internal deal (given Goodmon's membership in the current group) to make PK's departure as painless as possible--for him and everybody else.

• Like 1

I will be watching/looking for the role/involvement that Goodmon has within the new group if this sale goes through. If he is heavily involved, that will make me feel much better about the long term commitment the new ownership has to the Raleigh-Durham market. Should Goodmon decrease his stake or leave altogether, I'd become more concerned and less trusting of any "pledges" made by the new group about wanting to stay in Raleigh.

• Like 1

Not wanting to get political but WRAL (Goodman) is very political. I just hope he doesn't try to throw his weight around with the Canes like he has done with the Bulls. What I mean by that is nothing Republican can be displayed in the DB Stadium. I had a friend going to a Bulls game wearing a Trump hat and he had to remove it to enter. I know people are on different sides on the political platform but ignore what you don't like. 

Just saying, let's enjoy the Canes and not so much what people wear. If that was the case, the Penguin fans would never get in!  :hide::D

20 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Just saying, let's enjoy the Canes and not so much what people wear. If that was the case, the Penguin fans would never get in!

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

Not to get political either (Aside to mods: what follows are thoughts on THE PRESENCE of politics in entertainment venues, NOT a discussion of political issues themselves; there's a difference), but a friend of mine went to a Springsteen show prior to the 2012 election and came back upset that Bruce expressed his politics. Now to me, that's just unrealistic, if you know anything about the performer. You buy the ticket and take the ride, and if you don't like it you can always leave. Tellingly, she didn't. 

With sports, I think it's one thing for a player (Kaepernick) or a members of a band (some ECU band members took a knee last year) to choose to make a statement on the field (and to live with the consequences). Barring spectator access based on a particular type of hat seems extreme, but I wonder whether Goodmon's policy is no political statements period, one way or the other, to keep the peace in the stands. In other words, if your friend had worn a Hillary hat, I'm betting he'd have been asked to remove it, too.

Goodmon seems like a smart businessman whose choices haven't hurt the Bulls, at least not so far. If he's truly smart, he requires removal of political apparel regardless of party at the gate, because with the degree of vitriol on both sides, it's just not worth the security risks.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I don't know the exact date when Jim Goodman assumed ownership of WRAL and his other assets.  But as a lifelong resident of Raleigh (and I'm old), I can say that the station was about as political as possible in the early 1970's.  For those of you who are newcomers or too young to remember, WRAL broadcast editorial clips several times a week with Jesse Helms delivering the message.  He was about as political as anyone could be and I think was a VP at the station/organization at the time.  In those days, the station signed off the air at midnight with a recording of Dixie as a  Confederate flag waved.  Maybe A J Fletcher was the owner at the time.

I find it interesting to learn that Goodman has nixed ANY political displays at the DBAP.

Edited by g105

4 hours ago, g105 said:

I find it interesting to learn that Goodman has nixed ANY political displays at the DBAP.

To be clear, I don't know that he has; I'm surmising he has, because I can't see the Bulls refusing entry to a guy in a Trump hat and allowing someone in a Hillary hat through. If you have confirmation that it is across-the-board policy, please share it. 

Top, my comment about Goodman nixing political displays is based on what you implied.  I really don't KNOW if one can or cannot wear political attire at the DPAP.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, g105 said:

Top, my comment about Goodman nixing political displays is based on what you implied.  I really don't KNOW if one can or cannot wear political attire at the DPAP.

Okay, just wanted to be clear that neither of us knows for sure. Thx g.

From the Bulls' website:

• Fan Behavior is important to the comfort of our other guests. Profanity, abusive language, inappropriate dress or conduct deemed disorderly, unruly or disruptive by Durham Bulls management is grounds for ejection. Solicitation of contributions and distribution of literature on stadium property are prohibited.

I think it's fair to determines that caps with political statements have nothing to do with baseball and pose the potential for discord or worse, especially after a few beers/shots.

We are getting very close to turning this conversation into a political discussion. Maybe we should turn discussion back to hockey.

6. RELIGION & POLITICS
Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed. Unfortunately, past experience has shown that such threads/discussions tend to get out of hand and require excessive maintenance and monitoring by the the staff. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature will be locked or removed without notice. We appreciate your understanding on this position.

Chip spoke with PK and tweeted some of it

2 hours ago

Just spoke with Peter Karmanos. Says the Hurricanes have not been sold. Says there is a term sheet in place but no purchase agreement.

Karmanos: "Once (Greenberg) has done that we'll examine whether his offer cuts the mustard." Says he likes Greenberg.

Karmanos says sales price may "shake out" to between $450 million and $500 million. Adds, "If I have to go back, the price is going up."

So typical of PK.  Negotiating in public to squeeze out every drop of blood from the rock.  He also said the price could go up to over 600 million if he has to put the team back on the market.  In your dreams PK.

Just shutup, sell the team, and quit giving the city and franchise a black eye as you've been doing for going on two years now.  No need for twitter insults or torpedoing a possible deal.

chiptwittersale.JPG

• Like 1

That's car salesman sleeze, if you don't buy now I can't guarantee this offer will last forever!

Edited by legend-1

PK says 11 or 12 groups have expressed interest.  Qualify 'interest' PK.  I guess if we all got together and pooled our season tickets money we could be another group expressing interest. He also says price could go up to $600m?  He's on too many meds to be lucid.

11 or 12 groups have expressed interest.

SD and Hag,

wxray and raleighcaniac,

topshelf and coastal,

bd58 and OBXer,

you get the picture.

• Like 5