The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

My two main questions:

1. How firm is the requirement to keep the team in Raleigh and for how long is it required?

2. Will this new owner open the checkbook?

If both are to the positive then: :banana:

Edited by remkin

Just now, remkin said:

My two main questions:

1. How firm is the requirement to keep the team in Raleigh and for how long is it required?

I thought about asking that as well, and it's also one of my questions.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I

Makes me wonder whose money RF has been spending over the last few weeks:letssee:

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Maybe the team can finally get a world class hockey practice facility.  Okay, maybe that's getting ahead of things.

Or at least a 3rd world class hockey practice facility.

All joking aside, the Canes facilities would be a turn off for me as a free agent.  The Charlestown Chiefs had better facilities

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

More on Greenberg.  The article states he will split time between Dallas and Raleigh and is looking for additional local investors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-13/greenberg-is-said-to-near-500-million-deal-for-nhl-s-hurricanes

I like the last line in that story

He also worked closely with billionaire Ron Burkle and hockey icon Mario Lemieux as they acquired the Pittsburgh Penguins and built a new arena

Similar to us before that new stadium was built the Pens were always in the relocation rumors.

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Makes me wonder whose money RF has been spending over the last few weeks:letssee:

Good point. One has to think the "new owner" might have been consulted on the Slavin deal. Hmmmm.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

:poke: QC

This took me a minute. Must be the heat but once I got it I had to laugh and laugh for an extended time

29 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Or at least a 3rd world class hockey practice facility.

All joking aside, the Canes facilities would be a turn off for me as a free agent.  The Charlestown Chiefs had better facilities

Joking?  It is not a joke!   I hear players time and time again speak of other teams' facilities and how it made it easy to go to that team (draft/UFA) and how the team is committed to win.  It matters.

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Awaiting xRay getting to the latest news... mwahahahaha...

:rofl::rofl:

Man, you know me too well.  My jaw is now scraping the floor. 

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

:rofl::rofl:

Man, you know me too well.  My jaw is now scraping the floor. 

I just envy your disciplined approach of going to the last place you were. I can't remember my breakfast.

I don't know how much this "ownership-uncertainty - team is for sale" thing affects things like player morale, UFA considerations (wonder if J Willy was told about the sale for instance), and even attendance, particularly season tickets, but it can't be good for any of that.

I also don't know if this new owner is going to be good or not.

But there has to be something good about some degree of certainty there, that could really lift a few things up, and taken with the build Francis has been doing, this really could mark the start of a lot of good.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 2

Is this oil money?  I haven't read up on the guy.  The future of oil is iffy.  The future of hockey is awesome!  I say that a bit as a fan, but also as one who sees the NFL being troubled much more by the concussion and short timer career issue.

EDIT: OK, read wikipedia.  Texas Rangers and his ownership does not equal oil.  Not sure where the money is from.  This story will unfold.

EDIT2: seems a lot of the money actually comes from other sports team's appreciating upon subsequent sales.  He knows the sports game.  Hopefully, this isn't a flip.

Edited by wxray1

46 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

More on Greenberg.  The article states he will split time between Dallas and Raleigh and is looking for additional local investors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-13/greenberg-is-said-to-near-500-million-deal-for-nhl-s-hurricanes

Not that it matters but he also owns the Myrtle Beach Pelican baseball team.

I like what I've read about this guy.  I'm feeling positive about the future of the Canes, between all the new players, new goaltending coach, new ownership I think things may be looking up.

It is the perfect time to buy the Canes.  If I had 499,999,999 more dollars I would do the same.  The value is fairly low due to a lack a revenue through fan support and a older facility (not saying we need a new one but I am sure PK has depreciated the crap out of it to keep his taxes low).  The franchise is built to win for 8-10 years with the bevy of young players we have playing and in the minors.  An owner willing to spend the money can exponentially raise the future value of the club.  Adding a number one center, making good playoff runs for 5 straight years, and filling the building most nights should raise the value 100 million.  A 20 percent growth in 5 years, without adding value to revenue growth through the internal and league media revenue.  Again to have another 499,999,999 bucks. It could be a flip and it would be a wise business move in 5 years.

either way, hopefully GMRF can convince him he needs to add a number one center and a replacement to the defender we trade to be successful early, raising the payroll 10-20%. Even if the new guy wants to wait, the owner should get good results early from GMRF and teams excellent roster building and drafting.

Hopefully, Don Waddell is taken to the curb and set aside with the old trash during housekeeping.

And I say this with respect to the fan experience, which has gone to the way of the dumpster as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 4

I'll take a long term flip.  We do need to be prepared for turbulence 10 years out or so, when the lease expires and the facility is old.  But that's them problems then.  Let's hope we can get that talk off the table until the next (cough cough) lockout at least.

Given his NE USA pedigree, it will be interesting to see how to attract those fans (besides the 2 or 3 games per year) while not alienating the organic base, and growing that organic base.  This can't just become Pens South.

We have a lot of kids who now grew up with the Canes who need to be tapped into as young adults.  DJ Mr Misfit or whatever isn't going to do it.  And apparently the now dead post game dance party didn't do it.  This guy has ideas.  It is going to be interesting.

I hate to say I'm cautiously optimistic given everyone's amped up emotions but I really wanna know how long the deal keeps the Canes in NC.