The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

He talks a good game

"I am thrilled to continue to build upon what Peter Karmanos started in Raleigh," Dundon said in a statement released Thursday evening. "The Hurricanes are a team on the rise, and I believe we have an opportunity to take the franchise to the next level. I'm ready to get to work."

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

True, I think we've already shed the real problem, who is now in Pittsburgh. And with an HHOF/franchise player as GM and Dundon no longer working, I'm thinking/hoping he plans to be really hands on and to learn from the two men who have most years with this franchise.

Jim Rutherford and Paul Maurice?

• Like 1

It sounds like this deal is pretty solid since it is already being presented to the BOG. My biggest question is whether Dundon as 52% owner is going to step up and take the Hurricanes from being an underfunded budget team to a cap team that spends the same amount as almost every team it has to compete with in the Metro division. If so, big improvements could be on the way, though maybe not in time to affect this season. 

PK waiting to sell 48% for 3 years might be about a lot more than a share of an expansion fee. Just read where the Rangers were valued by Forbes at $1.5 billion, and Arizona was the lowest valued team at $300 million. The implication was values of sports teams, and hockey teams in particular, are rising fast. So if this is really the deal, it gives PK his desired outcome of keeping his hand in the franchise awhile longer, and maybe a chance to realize more $$$ for the remaining 48% of the team. 

After hours of reflection on what this sale could mean to us I have reached the conclusion, It can't hurt

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

It sounds to me like you're saying "oh, if there are restaurants or bars in the immediate arena area, I'll take advantage of them", which really wasn't the question BD58 was asking. From what I read, he wants to know if having bars and/or restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the arena is going to bring more fans out to games.

I suppose that you could categorize groups of people in several ways. The first group would be those who plan to attend a game at PNC and build their evening around that. The second would be those who are out and about in the PNC area and might impulsively decide to catch a game. Maybe a third group would be those who are put off by the lack of eating/drinking establishments in the PNC environs and would rarely attend an event at PNC because it doesn't offer the complete package they're wanting.

The real task, and not an easy one, is figuring out the relative size of all of these groups and determining which have the biggest impact on team revenues. That's the only basis on which any team can make decisions about how to allocate their marketing budget.

So the answer is yes, With more activity in the area, the possibility of making it a total evening is enhanced. I think the opportunity to be able to have a dinner, game , and after game in one location would be more attractive. Rather than just dragging to a game, it could be a bigger experience. Plus you might pick up some walk byes.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

He talks a good game

What you quoted there OBXer, "I believe we have an opportunity to take the franchise to the next level" specifically is what caught my eye. While it may just be fluff, for now I'd like to consider it sincere, and a suggestion that this owner may be a bit more aggressive, or urge a bit more aggression, than his now co-owner? It would be exciting if he jumps in with both feet and supports a coup immediately?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

What you quoted there OBXer, "I believe we have an opportunity to take the franchise to the next level" specifically is what caught my eye. While it may just be fluff, for now I'd like to consider it sincere, and a suggestion that this owner may be a bit more aggressive, or urge a bit more aggression, than his now co-owner? It would be exciting if he jumps in with both feet and supports a coup immediately?

I think he is sincere and it was time for a change. It appears we can put the sale distraction to bed. The deal still needs to be finalized but it sounds like our new owner is committed to hit the ground running. I always reserve a "will see" attitude when anyone makes big statements. Saying the right thing and doing the right thing are not always the same. I really hope this will make a big difference,

I have yet to post on this topic because I'm trying to digest the magnitude and what it means.  I think we are hearing all the right things but the cynical part of me takes that for face value.  Glad this phase of our franchise is done.  Maybe we can see some dividends as fans from this purchase.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

I have yet to post on this topic because I'm trying to digest the magnitude and what it means.  I think we are hearing all the right things but the cynical part of me takes that for face value.  Glad this phase of our franchise is done.  Maybe we can see some dividends as fans from this purchase.

Well said. Shorter: The proof is in the pudding.

I said last week I'm done with believing for its own sake. This is absolutely a positive development, but if the bargain-basement approach continues and Dundon buys into it, it could become PK 2.0.

Glad that the team is under new ownership. Now Dundon needs to set the tone with the team from Ronnie all the way down the ladder. Get out west quick and while in LA announce no-one in the program should feel comfortable. Let it be known everyone is playing, coaching or managing for a job up to when the team gets bounced for the 9th straight time as the odds of making the show grow longer with every missed point. I say this because I seriously doubt the addition of one or two players via trade etc are somehow going to dramatically turn this mess around that we will get enough wins to make it into playoffs. Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? No. If you can move some driftwood along the way like Staal who could play with eggs in his pants and never break one, or Faulk who is playing to the level his talent allows, then do so in March when buyers are willing to give more than they normally would. 

• Like 1

I hope that since PK is still a big part of things moving forward, and the deal seems to be in place, that Francis could be given some direction or permission to go out and make that hard decision to do something before it's completely too late. Now if he already has it, then same thing.

Put your english to french dictionaries away, we aren't going anywhere.

As part of buying majority stake in , Tom Dundon has agreed to not apply to relocate the franchise for a period of 7 years - a standard clause in purchase agreements.

TBH if this team can't get it going in 7 more years? Probably hard to defend against moving it.

But great to hear that it is in writing.

Now get us a top forward and get in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

We do have a bit of NHL history on our side that no cup winning teams have ever moved or disbanded since 1927.

I look forward to our game against the Maroons.

15 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Pretty good post for a "Rookie".  :)

15 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

15 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Since 1935 then :rolleyes:

1938?  (I was curious so I Wikied "Maroons")

I just saw they won the cup in 35. 

It'll be embarrassing for Bettman to be the commish if the league moves a cup winning team given the history. If it will embarrass Bettman he should go to no ends to keep us from moving like he did for Arizona.