The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

" Anything’s possible at this point, including the franchise finally publicly acknowledging its lineage as the Hartford Whalers, which was generally forbidden under Karmanos. (If nothing else, a preseason game in Hartford and a Whalers Night in Raleigh both sound like licenses to print money.)"

That's not in our hands, right? If anyone else posted that I'd scoff at it but Luke tends to know stuff about things so I'm confused by it.

57 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

" Anything’s possible at this point, including the franchise finally publicly acknowledging its lineage as the Hartford Whalers, which was generally forbidden under Karmanos. (If nothing else, a preseason game in Hartford and a Whalers Night in Raleigh both sound like licenses to print money.)"

That's not in our hands, right? If anyone else posted that I'd scoff at it but Luke tends to know stuff about things so I'm confused by it.

Perhaps finally going to a Winter Classic game where the Canes wear something that pay homage to the Whalers?

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, JonKerfoot said:

I'm surprised that nobody's posted this article before (and if I missed seeing it posted elsewhere, I apologize for that). I have to say, most of it is the usual "oh, I got lucky and became a billionaire" sort of thing, but the last few sentences do give me hope - Dundon's golf partner says he doesn't like to lose, in business or in sports.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2015/09/11/for-dallas-newest-billionaire-early-failure-set-stage-for-success

Wow, I think this guy is going to be great.  Seems very active with his investments.  I would bet he's a happy man today getting his own NHL team.  I think he will invest and make us a top contender. 

• Like 1

If he’s anything like his boy Mark Cuban, we’re in for a real treat.  I’ve been a Dallas Mavericks fan since 1994, and after Cuban bought the team, they turned into perennial playoff contenders, had state of the art facilities and locker rooms for the players, and always spent to the cap.  He turned the franchise from a laughing stock to a major player.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

If he’s anything like his boy Mark Cuban, we’re in for a real treat.  I’ve been a Dallas Mavericks fan since 1994, and after Cuban bought the team, they turned into perennial playoff contenders, had state of the art facilities and locker rooms for the players, and always spent to the cap.  He turned the franchise from a laughing stock to a major player.

I really, really hope this owner can get us out of the mud.  I'll be there tomorrow to see the new era begin.

From TSN

"I like the market. It’s not even something I’ve ever thought about,” Dundon told LeBrun in The Athletic. "As a matter of fact, what we’re focused on is improving the fan experience which means adding amenities to the building and also extending the lease. So, I’d say that’s the priority. I literally have not spent one moment thinking about any sort of move. It would be almost impossible to conceive of that happening. I want to get this building improved and the fan experience improved immediately. So that comes with a lease extension which I intend to sign."

Please sign an extension! Showing further commitment to the area will help new/bandwagon fans who see the team improving decide on whether they want to vest their hearts and souls into this team without worry the team may move in 7 years.

6 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

THANK YOU DUNDON

Yes!   Thank you for taking over the helm of our beloved Hurricanes!

As a lifetime consumer (full season ticket holder) I for one look forward to your fresh approach to this gnarly problem which is how to field a consistently competitive NHL team.  

Optimism is high!

• Like 1

So it appears that the minority ownership piece of the puzzle did come into play as Dundon's percentage of ownership increased from 52% to 61% which I like much more. More invested and less ownership for PK the better. I like the way this guy works. I did hear an interview today where he stated that he hasn't even looked at any trades or acquisitions as he is focusing on the extension of the arena contract and also focusing on the fan experience. Hey Tom....just a little prod, Ottawa is still looking at a trade for Mike Hoffman....ask Ronnie what he thinks.

slapshot02

• Jack Torrance
  •  
  • slapshot02
  •  
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationOverlook Hotel
  On 1/7/2018 at 1:05 PM, remkin said:

Thanks for the link Slap. That article definitely brings a lot of hope to this thing from the top. They are saying finalized within weeks. I don't want to wait even that long!

Nice to know how involved he has been behind the scenes. Meeting with the players and watching the organization for awhile, I wonder if this piece has been what has been waiting the final approval. Perhaps the leagalise of buying out the minority investors has to be worked out contractually. Dundon reached an agreement to buy 52 percent of the team from Karmanos for a reported $230 million with an option to buy the remaining 48 percent in three years for $275 million. (That price includes assuming some of Karmanos’ accumulated debt; Karmanos would also presumably have to buy out the remaining local minority investors to deliver the rest of the franchise to Dundon.) As that deal awaits NHL approval, which is expected before the end of the month, 

Talk of extending the lease is pleasing to the ear. Maybe forward that to our media friends in the French Canadian press! :howdy:.

As to a player move, just tell Francis he is free to fire at will.

Can't help but have that tiny ember of Tavares hope brighten up just a bit with this move.

Maybe Darling was just ate up over this whole ownership thing and could finally just relax and play hockey. once it was settled.  :sarcasm:

We all know how these video streams sometime go but fingers crossed

2 hours ago

The will formally introduce majority owner Tom Dundon () at a noon press conference. It will be live streamed on . You can also see it on and FOX Sports GO.

seems kind of awkward.  PK said he got too impatient to win and signed HWSNBN to a 5 year deal and it bit him.  So HWSNBN gets us every year in FA time because it bit us once?

Someone wasnt pulling punches.  Asked Ronnie straight up if he felt handcuffed by by PK.  I didnt expect Ronnie to say anything.  Then Bettman says the salary cap doesnt mean spending money gets you wins. I'd beg to differ since a many of the best teams are the biggest spenders across every major league.

Edited by gocanes0506

Listening to the interview.  WOW!

- Dundon: there will be changes.   PK wants me to change.

- Dundon: "It is not the fans' fault, it is our fault."

- PK: Genuinely touched by the death of his partner, Thewes. The guy was choked up.   This was obviously a huge impact to him.

- Dundon: my first offer was rejected and I was depressed, came back and accepted a higher offer.  I've never done that before.

- PK: HWSNBN was a terrible mistake.  (wxray): THIS BROKE HIM!  Yeah, it broke us too!

Edited by wxray1

I like that guy as our owner. He is not going to put up with average. All of the talk about patience or lack of patience on his part. Francis is preternaturally patient, so having a somewhat impatient owner wanting to get things done should be a nice mix. I also thought that PK's talking about the mistake of signing HWSHNB was telling. Suggests to me he got gun shy after that. It's human nature to always fight the last battle rather than the one in front. So a change in ownership could well lead to a change in willingness to spend. Of course the deal has to still make sense long term.

Dundan strikes me as a guy who knows he's in charge and is going to come out swinging on the fan experience, and probably on ice upgrades too.

It's a good day.

17 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

seems kind of awkward.  PK said he got too impatient to win and signed HWSNBN to a 5 year deal and it bit him.  So HWSNBN gets us every year in FA time because it bit us once?

Someone wasnt pulling punches.  Asked Ronnie straight up if he felt handcuffed by by PK.  I didnt expect Ronnie to say anything.  Then Bettman says the salary cap doesnt mean spending money gets you wins. I'd beg to differ since a many of the best teams are the biggest spenders across every major league.

Dundon correctly understands that "value" not high $ gets you a great team.  The reason that the generational players are so valuable is that they literally are worth more than the 10 million they are making, worth a lot more.  I think he would spend to the cap, no problem, but it has to make sense.

I think you are pretty much right about PK, he was in a fool me twice mode.

I think that this guy is lights out smart.

Anyone else notice that when Dundon and PK were asked about PK's role, Dundan said "TO THE EXTENT I WANT TO ASK HIM, I'll discuss with Pete....".

Also, when PK whined about season ticket sales, Dundon jumped in with the line that "if they don't sell, that's on us."

Dundon clearly wants to be respectful of PK in taking over, but let there be no doubt who's in charge from here on in.

• Like 2

It was awkward from the sense that the old hats were saying "you shouldnt do that in sports because sports isnt like a regular business" basically saying you dont know this stuff, and the Durden comes right back and says I hear ya but that aint me.  It was kind of funny to listen to.  

I definitely understand the player value deal.  They have a metric for it in baseball.  Of course dudes putting up 100 points on a ELC are more valuable than players on a big contract. In the end it is rare that teams at the bottom of the payroll scale sustain success in any of the major sports.  

Seems like he wants to improve fan value in the arena

Improve the product on the ice

I was glad to hear him say he wants more media coverage for the team.  The market needs to hear about the team more.  A lot more.

• Like 1