The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

There was a rumor of a potential island just off the coast. Just a helicopter ride to the PNC.

:D

32 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For any who didn't get it/haven't seen it, this "Letter from Tom" arrived via email a few minutes ago:

January 12, 2018
Caniacs,

I really, really like this guy!

I didn't get that.. Wait, just checked my marketing tab, yep, I did.

Perfect summary of what he said in interviews.

YES.  One has to wonder if the team hasn't heard this...  Exhibit 1: last night.

29 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

After last nights game, and listening to Dundon, how can you not change the "trend" to "rising"?

I will bring the barometer back on line tonight.  I've been waiting for something...

Very telling to me in all this--- Remember when the new owner of Buffalo purchased that team, and the media were absolutely falling all over themselves in praise? Are we seeing this now??? Hockey's "redheaded stepchild" strikes again. Love it, love it, love it. Guess the snobbish Canadian media is at a loss for words?  

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

PK said he got too impatient to win and signed HWSNBN to a 5 year deal and it bit him.  So HWSNBN gets us every year in FA time because it bit us once?

That in itself is very sad. The guy swings once and misses and is done and he takes his puck and wallet home? Years of pain because you failed on one player? Short stacks does not make for a successful hockey program. Pete you were unfit to continue.

Edited by slapshot02

It was very telling that Karmanos couldn’t be bothered to fly in the night before to ensure he was on time for the press conference.  It is emblematic of how he has run this organization from afar (geographically and emotionally) over the past few years.  It is also clear that Dundon is his own man and I see a disconnect between what he and Karmanos believe Karmanos’s role will be moving forward.  I don’t see his phone ringing nearly as much as he thinks it will.  

This is going to be great, not only in terms of the fan experience, but the improvement in the players’ experience is going to help make Raleigh a potential destination for free agents like it has never been.  I also believe that with that, he will hold players accountable and he seems to want the media to do the same.  It seems too many players over the years have enjoyed the absence of pressure to win in Raleigh.

Now if I could just figure out a way to move back to North Carolina...

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

That in it's self is very sad. The guy swings once and misses and is done and he takes his puck and wallet home? Years of pain because you failed on one player? Short stacks does not make for a successful hockey program. Pete you were unfit to continue.

Happens with age, my son?

12 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

It was very telling that Karmanos couldn’t be bothered to fly in the night before to ensure he was on time for the press conference.  It is emblematic of how he has run this organization from afar (geographically and emotionally) over the past few years. 

Dundon was miffed about that too. Strike one.

12 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

Now if I could just figure out a way to move back to North Carolina...

I got 8.5 years to go before I hit 20...I’m trying to extol my wife on the virtues of maybe living in the Triangle... ;)

edit: PK really was late to the presser?

Edited by AWACSooner

30 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Whatever it takes.

Some (okay, I) have long believed it should be the org's permanent motto. Maybe now it will be, even if unofficially.

31 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

That in itself is very sad. 

It's very telling, IMO. He also made two huge bets on Staal and Cam, neither of whom, though bonafide NHL players, are franchise players. He trusted his longest-term partner's judgment (JR) to just enough excess -- specifically, the NTCs -- that it limited his ability to afford the complementary players that might have allowed the last several years to roll out very differently.

But hey, hindsight's 20/20.

I'm just elated that after all these years in PK's Bargain Basement, we can finally, realistically imagine a very bright future.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I got 8.5 years to go before I hit 20...I’m trying to extol my wife on the virtues of maybe living in the Triangle... ;)

edit: PK really was late to the presser?

Are you really 11 1/2 years old? I would of expected older. I moved to Raleigh in 1994 from balmy NY. I have never looked back and enjoy traveling 15 mins to the PNC. In NY it took me 1 1/2 hours to get to MSG.  If you like football the Panthers are only 1 1/4 hours away. Some day we need to get a pro baseball team here but that is not in the immediate future. AAA baseball is great and the Durham Bulls stadium is a great ball park and not even a hour away. I'm sure I can find a list of things that would convince Mrs. Sooner to move.

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Are you really 11 1/2 years old? I would of expected older. I moved to Raleigh in 1994 from balmy NY. I have never looked back and enjoy traveling 15 mins to the PNC. In NY it took me 1 1/2 hours to get to MSG.  If you like football the Panthers are only 1 1/4 hours away. Some day we need to get a pro baseball team here but that is not in the immediate future. AAA baseball is great and the Durham Bulls stadium is a great ball park and not even a hour away. I'm sure I can find a list of things that would convince Mrs. Sooner to move.

Elegant Stitches in Carey...she damn near buys out that place every time we come to Raleigh.

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's very telling, IMO. He also made two huge bets on Staal and Cam, neither of whom, though bonafide NHL players, are franchise players. He trusted his longest-term partner's judgment (JR) to just enough excess -- specifically, the NTCs -- that it limited his ability to afford the complementary players that might have allowed the last several years to roll out very differently.

But hey, hindsight's 20/20.

I'm just elated that after all these years in PK's Bargain Basement, we can finally, realistically imagine a very bright future.

What get's me Top is that in sports winning is an attitude that should never take a back seat to loosing. Shortly after the cup year his wallet became a priority over the product on the ice. Not fair to himself or the fans. Yes he has wanted to sell for several years and wanted to get his estate in order, but perhaps he should of started the process earlier. After the blowout with his son and removal of him from an internal organizational position it was clear that PK was in it basically for himself and any new blood wasn't coming to the organization.  It's over now and I can't wait to see the changes that TD will bring to the organization.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

i believe he means 8.5 years from 20 years in the service.  not too many 11.5 year olds flying AF planes.  

Yeah, I got it,just adding a little humor. GEEEEZZZZ.

7 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Elegant Stitches in Carey...she damn near buys out that place every time we come to Raleigh.

CARY...Containment Area For Retired Yankees.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Man, if you're telling me you can make it from Raleigh to Charlotte in 1 1/4 hours, you have to tell me your secret because the trip takes me considerably longer.  Unless you're hitting 120 on the Interttate...

21 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

What get's me Top is that in sports winning is an attitude that should never take a back seat to loosing. Shortly after the cup year his wallet became a priority over the product on the ice. Not fair to himself or the fans. Yes he has wanted to sell for several years and wanted to get his estate in order, but perhaps he should of started the process earlier. After the blowout with his son and removal of him from an internal organizational position it was clear that PK was in it basically for himself and any new blood wasn't coming to the organization.  It's over now and I can't wait to see the changes that TD will bring to the organization.

Yeah, he tried to hang on longer than he could afford to. Pro sports and going on the cheap simply don't mix in the cap era. That said, I do hope the org has learned the lesson that NTCs are not party favors to be handed out to anybody demanding them. Sometimes you have to walk away, and in my experience, doing so when your gut is telling you to almost always produces opportunities far more valuable than those you pass by. 

12 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Man, if you're telling me you can make it from Raleigh to Charlotte in 1 1/4 hours, you have to tell me your secret because the trip takes me considerably longer.  Unless you're hitting 120 on the Interttate...

Agreed.  2 hours 15 minutes is my best time.

20 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

LOL, I stand corrected. I was thinking Greensboro not Charlotte. Yeah Charlotte is not a trip I make any longer.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Agreed.  2 hours 15 minutes is my best time.

Yeah I was in error. Actually took me close to 3 hours when visiting my daughter in the past. I was thinking Greensboro. I have never attended a Panther game.