The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

Since not all of you will see this, this is the letter the STH got today.

January 12, 2018

Caniacs,

As the opportunity arose to become the majority owner of the Carolina Hurricanes and I began analyzing the organization, the one thing that immediately jumped out to me was that with the collection of young talent already on the team, we can compete now. As I spoke to people from across the NHL, they all identified that core of young players, the head coach and the general manager as major assets. I am convinced that the Hurricanes not only have an opportunity to win now, but to be competitive year in and year out going forward.

In the recent months, I’ve spent a lot of time around the team, and we’ve worked to identify areas to better support our athletes and help improve our on-ice performance. Among the changes we can act on immediately will be adding resources for our training and analytical staffs, as well as finalizing a deal for a new state-of-the-art training facility for our athletes.

I’ve also been working closely with the team’s business staff, to increase the entertainment value for our fans at every game. We’ve developed many great ideas and we’re going to be extremely aggressive in our efforts to enhance the in-arena experience. I want PNC Arena to be absolutely rocking every night — a place you love to watch a game, our players love to play a game and our opponents fear.

In only a few months, I’ve quickly realized how much passion there is in this market for this team, and I take very seriously the responsibility to ensure that this community has the team and entertainment experience it deserves. I recognize and share the expectations you have for the Hurricanes, as well as the fact that we have not always met them. My commitment is to meet and exceed your expectations, and that starts now.

Best,
Tom

(found it on the website too now:     http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/294865050/binary-file/file.pdf  )

Edited by hag65
added link

26 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I do hope the org has learned the lesson that NTCs are not party favors to be handed out to anybody demanding them. Sometimes you have to walk away, and in my experience, doing so when your gut is telling you to almost always produces opportunities far more valuable than those you pass by. 

I can't remember back that far but was Cam and his Agent pushing for a NTC that began in 2012? Was it JR looking to lock down what he thought was the franchise goalie?

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm probably older than anyone on this board. Failure is still not an option.

I don't think so, slap. Let's just say that my wife and i figured up our age difference, and if I'd have picked her up for a date when I was graduating high school, I would have had to bring along an infant car seat?

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't think so, slap. Let's just say that my wife and i figured up our age difference, and if I'd have picked her up for a date when I was graduating high school, I would have had to bring along an infant car seat?

Funny! Not knowing you wife's age you could still be a youngster.

18 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I can't remember back that far but was Cam and his Agent pushing for a NTC that began in 2012? Was it JR looking to lock down what he thought was the franchise goalie?

I can't remember either. But it started in 2010, and JR - a middling goalie himself (whose claim to hockey fame is being the first to decorate his mask (!) - definitely saw Cam as the man, as surely as he did Eric. In fairness, I think the fact that guys like Ovi and Cindy were getting locked down conspired to convince him he needed to do so as well--but GMs are paid to assess and manage talent top to bottom, and JR did a serially lousy job of that. Anybody who has been around hockey as long as him and is still willing give those guys what he did--and THEN to do it for Jordan too, years later? I mean, c'mon...

12 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Lets all make sure to give our new owner a rousing reception tonight.

Standing ovation if he is there. He should be unless he is working on getting the other 39%. ;)

1. Chip Alexander Retweeted

Really enjoyed taking in the @PackMensBball win last night over a Top 20 team. @PNCArena was electric. Looking forward to checking out the atmosphere at each local school in the near future.

18 replies27 retweets231 likes

Retweet

Direct message
  2.  Chip Alexander Retweeted

Gary Bettman: "Tom has already asked ... An outdoor game across the street (at Carter-Finley Stadium) is not out of the question."

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:
  •  
  2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's very telling, IMO. He also made two huge bets on Staal and Cam, neither of whom, though bonafide NHL players, are franchise players. He trusted his longest-term partner's judgment (JR) to just enough excess -- specifically, the NTCs -- that it limited his ability to afford the complementary players that might have allowed the last several years to roll out very differently.

But hey, hindsight's 20/20.

I'm just elated that after all these years in PK's Bargain Basement, we can finally, realistically imagine a very bright future.

What get's me Top is that in sports winning is an attitude that should never take a back seat to loosing. Shortly after the cup year his wallet became a priority over the product on the ice. Not fair to himself or the fans. Yes he has wanted to sell for several years and wanted to get his estate in order, but perhaps he should of started the process earlier. After the blowout with his son and removal of him from an internal organizational position it was clear that PK was in it basically for himself and any new blood wasn't coming to the organization.  It's over now and I can't wait to see the changes that TD will bring to the organization.

Yeah, he tried to hang on longer than he could afford to. Pro sports and going on the cheap simply don't mix in the cap era. That said, I do hope the org has learned the lesson that NTCs are not party favors to be handed out to anybody demanding them. Sometimes you have to walk away, and in my experience, doing so when your gut is telling you to almost always produces opportunities far more valuable than those you pass by. 

To my point earlier about winning/loosing/money. I love this guy already. 

Folks.  The barometer is back online.  Before you know it, I may be relocating it to an Island we once knew about...

I'm trying to not go crazy and break the thing by seeing ear-popping high pressure, but dang, I was almost ready to set it at "BEYOND AWESOME" and "ROCKET TO THE MOON HIGH". 

Now, back to reality.  There is a game tonight, but things are really looking up.  This must be a little taste of what it felt like to be in a soviet era depressed country in 1990.

• Like 2

Well, I threw the barometer and broke it, but I'll give it some TLC and repair and be back.

Dundon was on the David Glen show and reiterated a lot of what we heard before.  Big reiterations that came to mind:

- Season tickets being low is not the fans' fault as it is right now.

- Nothing, yes, NOTHING, is good about the fan experience.  He said he tried to look for something, didn't find it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Well, I threw the barometer and broke it, but I'll give it some TLC and repair and be back.

Dundon was on the David Glen show and reiterated a lot of what we heard before.  Big reiterations that came to mind:

- Season tickets being low is not the fans' fault as it is right now.

- Nothing, yes, NOTHING, is good about the fan experience.  He said he tried to look for something, didn't find it.

A realist.  I still have fun going to games in the defense of the team though.

Edited by bluedevil58

Dundon was interviewed on the David Glenn show today at about 12:30 today. Caught it as was pulling into work. nothing really new, but again fostered the idea of improvement in ALL ASPECTS.

I wonder if all aspects includes a new HC if we miss the playoffs yet again this season.  Advanced stats be damned.  Not making it to the dance in a league where over half the teams make it is just terrible.

Needs;

NC Craft brews

A cool bar in the stadium

1C

Address goal tending

Depending on how this team finishes:  evaluate HC.

Edited by bluedevil58