The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Sounds like Canada's mad we've got an offer to stay with this hit piece....front and center TSN page no less. Something we only get when we play Canadian teams otherwise.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hurricanes-attendance-down-32-per-cent-over-10-years-1.808287

Awwww... poor Quebec... Whine me a river.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This just in...

https://www.canescountry.com/2017/7/18/15994240/carolina-hurricanes-proposed-sale-chuck-greenberg-carolina-hurricanes-wral-jeff-gravley

This reveals some interesting info about Greenberg and his Carolina connections--local, and once included the Durham Bulls.

Yes, for all of the folken who are worried about this being a flip/move, Goodmon is not getting involved so that he can move the team.  He is getting involved to NOT move the team.  This is the best case scenario I have been hoping for for years.

• Like 3

From Canes Country

WRAL report: “Business deal” in place for sale of Carolina Hurricanes to Chuck Greenberg by Brian LeBlanc

Reporting this evening by Jeff Gravley of WRAL indicates that the proposed sale of the Carolina Hurricanes to former Texas Rangers partner Chuck Greenberg may be in an advanced stage, with the parameters of a deal already agreed to and legal review of the transaction ongoing.

I am all about the potential for this market, and a new buyer could be key, but he's going to have to over come this:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article162196848.html

I also think it's nowhere to go but up, but this is one area where a bigger splash could have helped. Now winning early will be key, not just to get in, but to create interest. I felt last year was the worst, it was.

8 years of suckage and a lockout will surely put the hurt on a smallish/non-traditional market.  The fans will come back with a competitive team on the ice.  The arena experience has also gotten worse the last couple of years. 

As the Hockey News pointed out a few days ago

And if the club is sold and remains in Carolina, there’s reason to believe the Hurricanes can translate on-ice success to a boom in fanfare, with the talk of failing attendance turning to whispers before being silenced altogethe

and pointed out that attendance wasn't bad in the not to distant past

While some may still question Carolina’s ability or willingness to support the club, it’s worth noting from 2005-06 to 2013-14, the Hurricanes’ average attendance was 16,300-plus.

IMO a sale might be just the ticket to put some excitement back in this "hockey market". A playoff team wouldn't hurt either.

It would be hard for me to believe that new ownership would not put together a new marketing plan, new in-game experience, and of course advertise the heck out of the new plans.  I mean, if any of us bought it, wouldn't we do that?  They aren't buying the team to just let it languish with the status quo.

I think we will see a big uptick with new ownership and some winning.

Just now, super_dave_1 said:

The fans will come back with a competitive team on the ice.  The arena experience has also gotten worse the last couple of years. 

Above and beyond a winning product, Greenberg seems to follow the path that the fan experience fills seats.  He's made a point of improving the game day experience everywhere he has been.

• Like 1

Just to be clear I also think that things will turn up with winning, and that a new owner itself would be a big splash. In many ways it is the perfect time to buy this team, at the bottom on the cusp up a risen. 

43 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Above and beyond a winning product, Greenberg seems to follow the path that the fan experience fills seats.  He's made a point of improving the game day experience everywhere he has been.

What, DJ Mr. Misfit doesn't do it for you?  I personally love the PNC parachute t-shirts that land on the same 5 seats each game.  Nice!

Please, for the love of all that is good in life, please, please, let DJ Mr. Misfit ply his trade somewhere else. Please. I'm begging here.

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

What, DJ Mr. Misfit doesn't do it for you?  I personally love the PNC parachute t-shirts that land on the same 5 seats each game.  Nice!

Yep, that DJ, whoever he is, is god awful, and the parachute drops that NEVER reward the 3rd level, as if we don't matter, are a constant reminder of marketing ineptitude? Wonder why it is that no thoughts are ever given to these little things?

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

8 years of suckage and a lockout will surely put the hurt on a smallish/non-traditional market.  The fans will come back with a competitive team on the ice.  The arena experience has also gotten worse the last couple of years. 

Happens in a large market too.  Look at the Chicago White Sox.  A team that Won IT All recently. 

Oh, and then the team 10 miles north has the mother of all seasons and a supposedly "great stadium experience", and it all goes in the toilet.

This must be a first: this is the first thread I've ever started...but I didn't actually start it. I'm guessing a Mod consolidated all the threads for the purchase stuff?

• Like 1

Get rid of the Storm Squad, BIG (awfully big) MIKE, cheap t-shirts in guns and parachutes, and Dr. DJ Scratchy Scratch. 

Fire everybody and start over.

Edited by coastal_caniac

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Get rid of the Storm Squad, BIG (awfully big) MIKE, cheap t-shirts in guns and parachutes, and Dr. DJ Scratchy Scratch. 

Fire everybody and start over.

Ice girls.

Am I the only one loving this news just because it sends a big fat "suck it Trebek" to the fans up in Quebec who already blew it with one team 20 years ago?  I pray they NEVER get another team.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Am I the only one loving this news just because it sends a big fat "suck it Trebek" to the fans up in Quebec who already blew it with one team 20 years ago?  I pray they NEVER get another team.

No, no you are not. 

• Like 2

So what do you all think about the MLS proposal downtown Raleigh?  Will it conflict?

I admit, when the ESA was planned in the mid 90's, I had no vision and did not want it downtown.  I was wrong.  Downtown is hopping, especially for the future.  Don't get me wrong, the RBC is totally awesome for myself.  Super easy in and out.  Downtown would suck.  But that's just me.

Things are changing fast in the fan landscape.  The hot thing to do is go downtown, enjoy and game and nightlife on either side.  Well, true for the under 40 crowd at least.

So what's the future of the Cane's fan base?  Can they attract the young crowd?  Or will we all age out like Dancing Granny?  This is bigger than the Canes.  Professional sports are undergoing a change in fan behavior as a whole.  In one camp, they say "experiences" are where to spend the money.  In another camp, "just watch it online."

Edited by wxray1

I have seen all 4 major sports at just about every level.  Hockey is by far the sport that the live experience is so much better.  Yhe best seat for any football or basketball game is in your recliner at home.  This isn't even debateable.  Going to a baseball game is more about the atmosphere, but it's a dying game.  The fan base is aging out.  I used to be a huge MLB fan, but I could care less now.  You still see a baseball game better on TV.

So much more goes on at a hockey game than is shown on TV.  If the marketing folks can tap in to what makes fans want to come to the games, while the team itself improves, the crowds will return.

PNC's location makes it very difficult to improve with the football stadium, the fair grounds, and the high school right there.  I believe they need to add "experience" outside the stadium.  Again very tough to do.  Use the suntrust park model as a guide.  With the football team, it should get good traffic August though April but hopefully June.  Plenty of businesses around to get good restaurant traffic through the week and off season months.