The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

The Hurricanes should jump and take this supposed spot for a 22,000 fan stadium for the MLS.

Look at how the Predators arena is situated. Downtown Nashville and around many bars and restaurants.

The state fair alone is enough reason to pack up and move to a new area...it's pathetic how we've had to start on the road every damn year because of this.

Hurricane Holdings LLC owns the Carolina Hurricanes and operates PNC Arena.  Pretty much joined at the hip as far as I can tell.  Matter of fact, without that relationship I wonder if the Canes would still even be in Raleigh? 

31 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Hurricane Holdings LLC owns the Carolina Hurricanes and operates PNC Arena.  Pretty much joined at the hip as far as I can tell.  Matter of fact, without that relationship I wonder if the Canes would still even be in Raleigh? 

Gale Force Holdings, LP, actually, in case anybody tried to look it up.

Edited by coastal_caniac

50 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Ok, then can we move the state fair...either to SEPTEMBER or to another location? 

You do realize that it's the NC State Fair at the NC State Fairgrounds, right?

On the surface you also don't seem to know much about farming either, so - the state fair is an agricultural exposition, and crops here don't come off in August for a state fair in SEPTEMBER.  Actually, that's pretty much true everywhere in the southeastern US. :shakeshead:

The Canes aren't packing up and moving away from Centinnial Campus anytime soon.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

11 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Gale Force Holdings, LP, actually, in case anybody tried to look it up.

Gale Force Holdings owns Hurricane Holdings, as well as the Everblades, an arena in Fl, and who knows what else, lol.  I got the info that Hurricanes Holdings owns both the Canes and operates PNC directly off of the Canes website. 

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/team/hurricanes-holdings-llc

Which raises the question: what is Greenberg buying for a reported $500m? Gale Force or just it's subsidiary, Hurricane Holdings?  In other words, are the Everblades and the Fla arena included in the package?

Edited by LakeLivin

32 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Gale Force Holdings owns Hurricane Holdings, as well as the Everblades, an arena in Fl, and who knows what else, lol.

Yes, which was my point.

32 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Which raises the question: what is Greenberg buying for a reported $500m? Gale Force or just it's subsidiary, Hurricane Holdings?  In other words, are the Everblades and the Fla arena included in the package?

Several of us have connected those dots. ;)

Regardless of coastal and my previous posts:

Does anyone know for sure if Greenberg is buying all of Gale Force or if he's just buying Hurricane Holdings?  Given his history with the game of hockey, I wouldn't be surprised if PK wanted to hold onto the Everblades instead of going completely cold turkey.  On the other hand, if the reported price is really $500m, I'm guessing a 7k-ish seat arena has to go a little way towards making that figure seem more reasonable (gotta think the arena is worth much more than an ECHL team?). 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Regardless of coastal

See what happens when the narrative doesn't fit the internet search. You get talked over.

Much of this I attribute to just a lack of understanding of the long-term history of the team here in Carolina.

Not everybody has that experience.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

You do realize that it's the NC State Fair at the NC State Fairgrounds, right?

On the surface you also don't seem to know much about farming either, so - the state fair is an agricultural exposition, and crops here don't come off in August for a state fair in SEPTEMBER.  Actually, that's pretty much true everywhere in the southeastern US. :shakeshead:

The Canes aren't packing up and moving away from Centinnial Campus anytime soon.

What he said.  This state and the NC state campus was built on the backs of farmers.  Get over your "inconvenience" of the 1st couple weeks of the season.  If that kills a fans joy and a teams chances of success there was sucking lemons going on already.

Can't tailgate and pee in the woods at a downtown arena.  I'm good with the location.

The NC State Fair has been around a lot longer than the Canes, and has a huge economic impact on the Raleigh area.  It ain't goin' nowheres.  The 2 weeks of scheduling is something the team and fans are just going to have to deal with.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

So much more goes on at a hockey game than is shown on TV.

Truer words were never, uh, keyed in. 

I've mentioned this before, but several years ago I spent the holidays at a resort on the Gulf in the FL panhandle. The world-class (truly) Audubon-society approved golf course was already built, along with a few houses and condos, but then 2008 hit and things were at a standstill. But as I'd overhear during lunch in the golf course grill room, it was backed with TX oil money, so they were just hunkering down and waiting for the market to come back.

As the project manager continued holding court at his table, the conversation turned to sports. It was all college bowl games and Dallas Cowboys--until the PM said, "Have y'all ever been to a hockey game? It just makes football look silly." Fightin' words, right? He waxed poetic, describing the speed and skill and hits, and then he said the same thing the NHL has been saying for years: "Just go to a game and you'll be hooked, I guarantee it."

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

PNC's location makes it very difficult to improve with the football stadium, the fair grounds, and the high school right there.  I believe they need to add "experience" outside the stadium.  Again very tough to do.  Use the suntrust park model as a guide.  With the football team, it should get good traffic August though April but hopefully June.  Plenty of businesses around to get good restaurant traffic through the week and off season months.  

I'll tell you what I'd like to see: A home opener in the football stadium, using the NHL's outdoor rink. The Wolfpack has no home games in October after the 5th. Plenty of set-up time as the fair continues, and have the game right after the fair ends.

Set up the rink close to the stands (instead of in the middle of the field) and give STH's the best seats, right on top of the action. Make all other seats on that side of the stadium (between the football end zones) $10, and all others free. Set up HHOF-style fan experience/hockey education stuff on the field, etc. 

Talk about supercharging fan interest. Maybe this new owner group has deep enough pockets to pull it off.

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

PNC's location makes it very difficult to improve with the football stadium, the fair grounds, and the high school right there.  I believe they need to add "experience" outside the stadium.  Again very tough to do.  Use the suntrust park model as a guide.  With the football team, it should get good traffic August though April but hopefully June.  Plenty of businesses around to get good restaurant traffic through the week and off season months.  

I for one don't think the Stadium should move.  It's in a good centralized location especially for people who are coming from Durham, Chapel Hill, and the Triad.  Having a stadium down town would be a nightmare. 

OK, OK, I started this discussion.  Good points.  I didn't necessarily mean to talk about a move.  Rather, I'm wondering if MLS does come to Raleigh (big IF, really big IF), what would the effect be on the up and coming fan base?  Will they get the seed corn and take it away from NHL?

My young friends think tailgating is OK, but what they really love is rocking it out at the club first (with selfies, yeah!) and then going to the game.  My niece is a great example.  They really can't afford it, but they spend their uncle's christmas gift money on going to downtown Chicago, having fun there (with selfies, yeah!), and then going to the Hawks game (more selfies, yeah!).   Then riding the train home drunk (with selfies, yeah!).  They then have their "experience" documented for all to see forevermore.  Uncle smiles (admittedly) because he knows they enjoyed the gift instead of just chucking that slice-o-matic toaster in the closet.  We all get to see it.  yeah!

One other fly in the ointment is that soccer, despite many false starts which began in the 70s, is finally taking off with the crowd.  I think it is an ugly game.  My opinion doesn't matter.  They think it is a beautiful game, and one to share with friends (and documented with selfies, yeah!).

Edited by wxray1

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Regardless of coastal and my previous posts:

Does anyone know for sure if Greenberg is buying all of Gale Force or if he's just buying Hurricane Holdings?  Given his history with the game of hockey, I wouldn't be surprised if PK wanted to hold onto the Everblades instead of going completely cold turkey.  On the other hand, if the reported price is really $500m, I'm guessing a 7k-ish seat arena has to go a little way towards making that figure seem more reasonable (gotta think the arena is worth much more than an ECHL team?). 

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

See what happens when the narrative doesn't fit the internet search. You get talked over.

Much of this I attribute to just a lack of understanding of the long-term history of the team here in Carolina.

Not everybody has that experience.

Let me clarify, because you misinterpreted my point and then edited my post when you quoted it, which changes it's meaning.  My point wasn't to exclude you or diminish your input (note that I said "regardless of coastal and my previous posts").  Rather, it was that I was trying to circumvent a relatively moot discussion as to whether Gale Force or Hurricanes Holdings made more sense in my original post about the Canes being linked to the arena deal (for the record, I specifically used Hurricanes Holdings because with that entity there are no dots that need to be connected; it's a direct link :)).  My intent was to turn the discussion back to the sale itself, where Gale Force vs Hurricanes Holdings is particularly relevant. 

So, back to the point that's interesting, at least imo: the reported price would certainly seem to indicate the whole enchilada of Gale Force.  But I'm guessing that the arena contract (which is included with Hurricanes Holdings) is much more valuable than the Everblades (maybe $500k?), and Germain Arena (maybe $15-20m?).  If that's the case, I could see the deal being just for HH IF PK wanted to keep a toe in the hockey waters.  I guess we'll find out for sure in time.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

One other fly in the ointment is that soccer, despite many false starts which began in the 70s, is finally taking off with the crowd.  I think it is an ugly game.

You're not the only one...it's slow as hell...and the moment you touch someone while running, they're instantly shot and will probably never walk again (given how much pain they "appear" to be in).

9 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You're not the only one...it's slow as hell...and the moment you touch someone while running, they're instantly shot and will probably never walk again (given how much pain they "appear" to be in).

Soccer needs to establish an embellishment rule that's much more severe than just 2 minutes in the box.  Just sayin . . .

Bailiff, whack . . . !

Doesn't matter what we think.  These kids have been brainwashed that Futbol is the best game in the world.  

Brainwashed!  Get off my lawn!

The goals the size of a trailer home and seemingly no one can ever score. Not for me.

Edited by legend-1

35 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

But I'm guessing that the arena contract (which is included with Hurricanes Holdings) is much more valuable than the Everblades (maybe $500k?), and Germain Arena (maybe $15-20m?).  If that's the case, I could see the deal being just for HH IF PK wanted to keep a toe in the hockey waters.  I guess we'll find out for sure in time.

The Everblades and Germain Arena have reportedly been for sale since 2013 as long or longer than the Hurricanes. I could see it being part of the deal. Until some more details are released we can't know for sure.

From Wiki - Karmanos' Gale Force Holdings has a subsidiary dedicated to the NHL, Hurricanes Holdings, LLC, which includes the Hurricanes and their stadium, PNC Arena. The holdings also include the Hurricanes's ECHL affiliate Florida Everblades, along with stadium Germain Arena in Fort Myers, Florida.

I guess it could be a package deal for both the Hurricanes and Everblades.

24 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

The goals the size of a trailer home and seemingly no one can ever score. Not for me.

Speaking of net size look at the midget size of goalies in the 60's and into the 70's and 80's. More open space to shoot at than a farmers field.  Now look at the goalies and they are as big as trucks. I think Darling is next biggest to Pekka in the league. Can't imagine what an average goal scorer thinks facing these guys who block 70% of the net due to size not talent.  Size of the net has never increased and the league office nibbles around the edges to improve goal scoring with dismal results i.e. a penalty means a faceoff automatically is in the defending teams end etc...  Just widen the net by 2" and up the crossbar another 2" and we will see more goals like wraparounds and sniper top shelf shots. Games would be a lot more fun with 5-3 scores instead of 3-2 scores. Purists make the argument that you would have to asterix all results going forward for hockey history sake. So what. Its about the here and now not what Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley and Jacques Plant did 60 years ago. Do it.

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Everblades and Germain Arena have reportedly been for sale since 2013 as long or longer than the Hurricanes. I could see it being part of the deal. Until some more details are released we can't know for sure.

I guess it could be a package deal for both the Hurricanes and Everblades.

Yeah, that's the most likely case.  But, if Karmanos is getting hundreds of millions for the Canes(+) he's not going to need cash as badly as he presumably has over the last several years.  I could envision a scenario where he might now be tempted to retain the Everblades as a toy.  Or, he might want to be completely free from all of his hockey stuff.  It will be interesting to learn more details all the way around, especially actual price.