The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

5 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Its about the here and now not what Johnny Bower, Gump Worsley and Jacques Plant did 60 years ago. Do it.

worsley.jpg

GUMP!!

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

The goals the size of a trailer home and seemingly no one can ever score. Not for me.

Any soccer game can be summed up by the phrase "Something almost happened"

18 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The sale is not short on opinions around the hockey world

Carolina Hurricanes may be in perfect spot with Chuck Greenberg By Cat Silverman

This is just an aggregation piece of what is already known. Phrases like "by all accounts" and "he's well-liked by those who support the team" and "[he] seems to be a known name within the communities" betray lazy reporting. 

Hey Cat: pick up a telephone and get some people on the record, and not only might I think you actually researched the piece, but we all might learn something we didn't already know. Hint: Your only quote - where you cite Forbes as calling the selling price "fake news" - doesn't count.

15 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is just an aggregation piece of what is already known. Phrases like "by all accounts" and "he's well-liked by those who support the team" and "[he] seems to be a known name within the communities" betray lazy reporting. 

Ok you don't like opinion pieces. IMO it is not that it is not a hard hitting news piece but yet another opinion from yet another source that in the past very rarely paid any attention to the Hurricanes. This sale if it goes through or not will be around for a while. This sale if it goes through or not will be big news when  it happens.  Until then many reporters, columnists, bloggers and message board posters will be rehashing and scrambling to find anything new.

I think her overriding point was that a sale would be good for the Hurricanes,the market and the fans. But columnists and bloggers are a personal taste and I get you don't want to read some of them. Unless the piece is based on purely erroneous information I'm going to glean everything I can from anybody who wants to write about it.  Just a few days ago WRAL reported the sale is farther along than others are reporting. I don't know if they have inside information or even if that is true but it was news I would of missed had I not read it

The best way to deal with a columnist or blogger you don't like is to ignore them IMO

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

IMO

And you're entitled to it. All I did was critique what I feel is a weak piece. I think FanRag wanted to be sure it had something somewhere on its site that aggregated all the known facts on the sale and told Cat to write something up. IMO that's about all she did. It's not about not liking her. It's about not liking the *edit* job she did here.

As far as ignoring it, well--then I wouldn't be following your advice to read all I can on it, right?

I assumed you posted this b/c you wanted comments on it. Sorry if my assumption was erroneous, OBX.

6 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

July and August = minutia...

Fans get itchy and start pecking at each other. :)

59 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And you're entitled to it. All I did was critique what I feel is a weak piece. I think FanRag wanted to be sure it had something somewhere on its site that aggregated all the known facts on the sale and told Cat to write something up. IMO that's about all she did. It's not about not liking her. It's about not liking the *edit* job she did here.

As far as ignoring it, well--then I wouldn't be following your advice to read all I can on it, right?

I assumed you posted this b/c you wanted comments on it. Sorry if my assumption was erroneous, OBX.

Sure it is quite alright. I respect your opinion and see your point. I said I'm going to glean all I can on the sale. I don't expect everyone to do that. This topic is about the sale so other peoples opinions count. 

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

This sale if it goes through or not will be big news when  it happens.  Until then many reporters, columnists, bloggers and message board posters will be rehashing and scrambling to find anything new.

One thing that struck me as a big omission in the article in terms of "new" info was the WRAL report from just 2 days ago.  The entire tone of the article would have probably changed if the "new" in news was also reported.  Anyway, people are going to write about it until there is no new in the news.

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

One thing that struck me as a big omission in the article in terms of "new" info was the WRAL report from just 2 days ago.  The entire tone of the article would have probably changed if the "new" in news was also reported.  Anyway, people are going to write about it until there is no new in the news.

This is why I think it was (a) an aggregation (versus an opinion piece) and (b) lazy reporting.

Saying the sale "could be" just what is needed isn't an opinion. It's a safe, ambiguous comment. Plus, opinion pieces are typically labeled as such. This is not.

Regardless of the various thoughts about the sale of the Canes, there seems to be one constant theme.  That is, PK getting out of the picture would be a good thing.  Seems no one wants him involved anymore and all think new ownership would be a good thing.  He can keep his Florida assets for all I care, as long as he completely separates from the Canes and goes away.  He has outlived his value as an owner.

• Like 1

I'll add that PK has kept the team in  Raleigh despite a chronically empty building too. Oh, and a Stanley Cup. I do think this deal seems overall positive at this point, oh, and PK is not a strong interviewee. But overall, he's been good.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

My angst towards PK is the perpetual motion of every offseason were we spend nothing more than table scraps on players and miss the playoffs again.  I have to assume it was PK that pushed that agenda because he let JR keep his job that long.  Had we not gotten lucky and struck gold with 2nd round picks (Rask, Aho, and Faulk), Pesce (3rd round), and Slavin (4th round) we'd still be in the same boat. Floating along hoping Cam or Lack do something extraordinary, clamoring for table scraps from the overspending teams with potential players added in, and signing Jooris to play on the 2nd line (good signing BTW just not for the 2nd line).  Im a more than satisfied if the ownership changes hand.  Maybe im just bitter though.

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

and signing Jooris to play on the 2nd line (good signing BTW just not for the 2nd line).

Who said he's playing on the 2nd line? All I've seen is talk about the 4th line (possibly healthy extra), so I think that's where the team envisions him slotting in. 

What's in a number?  Anyway i think it's been established that Staal is our 2C until doomsday so i'm not sure how Jooris fits in on the 2 unless he's going to be on the wing.  Even so, if Peters thinks he fits there then i'm good to see it in action.  This isn't MoNoMo or Captainbutnotcoach Kirk throwing Larose on the 1 because they doesn't know what else to try - i think Peters sees chemistry where it was just a theory in Mo's and Kirk's physics classes.

20 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

Who said he's playing on the 2nd line? All I've seen is talk about the 4th line (possibly healthy extra), so I think that's where the team envisions him slotting in. 

He isn't.  I didn't portray my point very well.  My point was in the past 5 cheap off-seasons we would sign him to play on the 2nd line.  This year we have good top 9 guys (because of getting lucky with 2nd round picks) and we signed Jooris to the correct line (4th).  The last few years we reached on veterans and asked them to play at least one scoring line higher than they should.

48 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I have to assume it was PK that pushed that agenda because he let JR keep his job that long.

I agree, and I think that only happened because they got drunk together after winning the Cup, and their long (too long, IMO) relationship and struggles to become relevant turned them into friends--a line no smart manager crosses with any employee. From there it was a short hop to PK being sold on Eric Staal and Cam Ward as Carolina's version of Sid and Fleury.  

JR is many things, but he has never been a great judge of prospect talent. We won the Cup in spite of the guys JR signed, not because he did. That's not a dis on any of them, but let's face it: they coalesced into the perfect combination of skill, hunger, and veteran ability at the right moment. Their success was the exception amid years of serviceable - but not spectacular - teams, assembled the same way, in hopes they'd similarly coalesce at the right moment. 

The wheels came off with those Cup-drunk, crazy deals to Eric and Cam. Before them, PK could afford an ensemble cast of good players with the potential to be great. My guess is that a condition of those deals was PK telling JR, "Okay, but if we do this this, I'm not signing anybody else for more than x amount per season." That would sure explain why, after those deals, the money wasn't there for key role players.

The result was teams good enough not to get first-overall picks, and a payroll account empty enough that JR couldn't poor extend guys we needed to (coughErikColecough). His only hope became finding dark horse, mid-first-round picks who could find their NHL games with little or no time in development. It happened exactly twice--Faulk and Skinner. And it's been reported that RF, not JR, was the driving force in getting Skinner. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

PK has been good for hockey overall, especially for development of the game.  He brought the NHL team here.  

But by his own admission, he wants to back away a bit. So it is time, his fire isn't what is used to be.  New blood is required, which may mean some risk taking.  I think of how the situation changed in Chicago from an old, tired, super conservative and frugal owner (dad) to the brash, risk taking son.