The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
MinJaBen

Carolina Hurricanes Sold

22 hours ago, OBXer said:

Maybe we need to start a soccer topic?

Soccer games (or matches as I have heard it called) are excuses for the fans to get stupid drunk, start fights and do stupid things......

HEY maybe we can convince the Sabre fans to go there instead of to Canes games!!! :yippee:

46 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Soccer games (or matches as I have heard it called) are excuses for the fans to get stupid drunk, start fights and do stupid things......

HEY maybe we can convince the Sabre fans to go there instead of to Canes games!!! :yippee:

I played soccer for 3 seasons as a kid and absolutely loved it.  But watching a game?  I'm ready to take a nap just thinking about the prospect.  Charlotte put in a bid for a team as well but i don't see this city supporting a professional soccer team.  I don't know if Raleigh has a realistic shot at a team but i'd put a team there before i'd put one here.

26 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I played soccer for 3 seasons as a kid and absolutely loved it.  But watching a game?  I'm ready to take a nap just thinking about the prospect.

That's funny, I played hockey for 10 years as a kid on a traveling team up north, and for the longest time I couldn't be bothered to watch a hockey game. Playing vs. watching was such a different thing for me. Only after moving to NC and then having the Canes come later did my interest as a fan emerge. 

I wanted to chime in on the soccer topic....I used to despise soccer games as well but having a couple kids come up thru CASL and TFCA, now NCFC Youth, I have a new appreciation for the game.  It is surprisingly rough on the field or maybe its just my oldest is quite aggressive (I blame his mom when he gets a yellow or red card).

Anyway, Raleigh actually now has the largest Youth to Pro program in the nation with the combination of CASL and TFCA to form NCFC Youth.  This is an incredible accomplishment and it shows the support for soccer in the area.  After traveling to tournaments for my kids I find the support in Raleigh to be much greater than other cities, including Charlotte.  I for one hope we get an MLS team.  Every Railhawks or NCFC game I've been to the stadium is pretty darn full of fans.  I believe if they could get that stadium in a better location the attendance would go up even more (getting in and out of that place is a nightmare).

Oh and GO CANES!  I do enjoy a good hockey game live over a soccer match that's for sure.  My oldest said he wanted Gleason and Westgarth back...he's the kid who just yells for a fight when we go the games.  Well...that's my one post for the year.  Continue on all....I very much like reading the post and visit everyday to catch up.

Thanks Raptor.  My informal survey at work shows the same.  People on this board may blow it off and answer with snark, but I think if MLS comes here, there will be real competition for sports view dollars, especially among the under 30 crowd.    Should MLS come, it will get ramped up about the time that the PNC "sweet" deal runs out with Gale Force.  The arena will be 25 years old.  There will be real controversy, mark my words.  But meanwhile, we have a few years to hopefully get this team built.

Just my $0.02

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Does this rehash some stuff we know-yes  Does it add some new incite- yes but that is only my opinion

51 minutes ago Who is Chuck Greenberg and why does he want to buy the Hurricanes?

If the link doesn't work you can reach the article through Lukes twitter link.

Wondering why this man wants to buy the Canes? Here’s your answer.

Interviews with people close to Greenberg and others who have knowledge of the proposed purchase but requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks paint a picture of a front man who would be deeply concerned with the fan experience and revitalizing Raleigh as a hockey market, but lacking the money to fund the purchase himself and reliant on a group of investors to get the deal done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

That's funny, I played hockey for 10 years as a kid on a traveling team up north, and for the longest time I couldn't be bothered to watch a hockey game.

Interesting, where are you from? If I wasn't playing hockey I was watching it, and in summer, thanks largely to the Flyers' instant success, our neighborhood abandoned the sandlot for the street hockey.

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Thanks Raptor.  My informal survey at work shows the same.  People on this board may blow it off and answer with snark, but I think if MLS comes here, there will be real competition for sports view dollars, especially among the under 30 crowd.    Should MLS come, it will get ramped up about the time that the PNC "sweet" deal runs out with Gale Force.  The arena will be 25 years old.  There will be real controversy, mark my words.  But meanwhile, we have a few years to hopefully get this team built.

Just my $0.02

I'll vouch for Raptor's POV too. Dad of two soccer players and played myself. There's no arguing that it can be as dull as watching the ground crack in this heat--but there's a reason fans watch in pubs.

I never said YOU couldn't like soccer.  There are obviously enough clinically bored people with low entertainment thresholds to support the game world wide.  It just doesn't do it for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Interesting, where are you from? If I wasn't playing hockey I was watching it, and in summer, thanks largely to the Flyers' instant success, our neighborhood abandoned the sandlot for the street hockey.

Northern Vermont for the most part, though I finished high school in southern Vermont. Our traveling teams would play all over the state and in Quebec, NY, NH, and Mass. we didn't get a lot of TV options up there, so watching hockey was not something that we had a bunch of options...mostly the Bruins.

27 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Northern Vermont for the most part, though I finished high school in southern Vermont. Our traveling teams would play all over the state and in Quebec, NY, NH, and Mass. we didn't get a lot of TV options up there, so watching hockey was not something that we had a bunch of options...mostly the Bruins.

Nice. Beautiful up there.

If it weren't for hockey fever thanks to the Flyers' quick success and Philly's media outlets - in which Mr. Snider was heavily invested and played a key role, I seriously doubt hockey would have exploded like it did in that market.

Okay, warning.  Not a lot of new insight on a potential sale here, but evidently Greenberg toured RCI today as part of a fact-finding visit.  Seems he was pretty tight lipped about the trip.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article163386973.html

Fact #1 - the Canes need a new practice facility.  Confirmed.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thanks for posting. coastal. You don't visit the teams infrastructure facilities if you aren't serious about putting together a best offer and plan for a future if you complete the sale. My guess is we aren't going to hear a lot from this group until a deal is in place, maybe even signed off on. PKs previous statement on the sale confused me a bit so in this case perhaps mum is the word is for the best.

You know.   The more I think about the debate of how downtown Raleigh could have a hurricanes stadium the more I think it's a bad idea.  I for one hate trying to park my F150 in downtown Raleigh.   Can you imagine leaving the stadium after a game?  A complete and Utter cluster is what that is!  That woukd force me to not go to the games since I live in Chapel Hill.  I hope this deal doesn't fall through.  When I read the guy is looking for investors that screams he doesn't have the cash on hand.

Edited by bluedevil58

BD58, agree about location of stadium. I come from Durham, and with weekday after work traffic, just getting to Edwards Mill is hard enough. A downtown stadium is predicated on using the same parking lots that are used for business during the day. The DBAP operates this way. With a capacity of 10,000, but average attendance somewhat less, it works, but a lot of fans park in lots or decks that are a good distance away. Plus, the Canes would lose all of the parking revenue. But to the original point, the Canes have a regional fan base, and the current location of the PNC right off of 40 makes it reasonably convenient for fans coming from all directions. Downtown Raleigh caters to those closest to the center of town only, and will discourage attendance by others. 

• Like 2

A downtown arena is great if you're Nashville, New York, or another "destination" city. Raleigh? Not so much. But another aspect is the nature of use. For outdoor events, venues can take advantage of the city skyline and feel more integrated with the surrounding neighborhood. But we're talking about indoor events that draw regional crowds. As BDC points out, that means people are driving and that requires easy access. If MLS wants to blaze a trail downtown, it should. And we'll gladly use it for an outdoor game. PNC is a cash cow for Hurricanes Holdings, with concerts and other events. Hockey games aren't going anywhere.

Edited by top-shelf-1

As I mentioned, I live off Creedmoor Rd.  PNC is GREAT!  If they move downtown, I may back off my STH "membership."

But that's me, and you.  The "hot thing" right now is downtown, hence why MLS is proposing there.    Get the young'uns who love downtown involved.

I think any new owner who has a true long term interest will consider this.  I'm not saying it is even correct.  What may be more correct is building a closed in ice practice facility next to the new Wolfpack football practice facility.    Sounds like Chuck is thinking about all these things.  Expect more of these discussions as the years go by (assuming the team is still here) and the PNC contract with Gale Force comes up for renegotiation.

Edited by wxray1

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

As I mentioned, I live off Creedmoor Rd.  PNC is GREAT!  If they move downtown, I may back off my STH "membership."

Can't disagree.  They're better off running free beer/saloon shuttles from area pubs to gather before/after games.  Did that in Milwaukee to see Brewers and had way more beer and grub than I planned.

The place ran its own shuttle which was packed and surely helped business.

Edited by Manwolf

10 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Can't disagree.  They're better off running free beer/saloon shuttles from area pubs to gather before/after games.  Did that in Milwaukee to see Brewers and had way more beer and grub than I planned.

The place ran its own shuttle which was packed and surely helped business.

The Canes had a free shuttle from North Hills.  Sponsored by N. Hills businesses (not sure)?  That may have died last year.

41 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The Canes had a free shuttle from North Hills.  Sponsored by N. Hills businesses (not sure)?  That may have died last year.

Nope, it's still running. (Unless you're thinking of a different service.) I believe it runs year-round, serving concerts and other events at PNC. 

Under Waddell the entire promotional aspect of pretty much everything has sucked. I get that money is lacking, and while RC's point on another thread about Nashville's success at engaging fans and media is a good one, I think it has a lot more to do with winning than arena location. Winning solves engagement issues. But our efforts to charge up the fan base heading into the season under Waddell have been beyond lame. Yard signs with the start date of the season? Really, Don?? 

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Nope, it's still running. (Unless you're thinking of a different service.) I believe it runs year-round, serving concerts and other events at PNC. 

Under Waddell the entire promotional aspect of pretty much everything has sucked. I get that money is lacking, and while RC's point on another thread about Nashville's success at engaging fans and media is a good one, I think it has a lot more to do with winning than arena location. Winning solves engagement issues. But our efforts to charge up the fan base heading into the season under Waddell have been beyond lame. Yard signs with the start date of the season? Really, Don?? 

That's it!  Thanks top-shelf!  Damn, there's just no easily accessible promo info anymore.  Except I DO know where I can get coach approved water.

• Like 1

Light rail system.  Don't put everything in one place.  Make it easy to get to all the places.