The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

How Would You Improve the Arena Game Experience?

In the spirit of what Luke reported re Greenberg's focus on the fan experience, what (beyond the apparently unanimous repeal and replace sentiment re Dr. DJ LameBehind), if you could have anything as part of the fan experience, you would request? I'm talking permanent features of the arena and/or in-game activities, not single-game events (like an outdoor game, Eric Staal night, etc.).

1. Get rid of the DJ. 

2. Get rid of the DJ.

3. Get rid of the DJ.

Other ideas?

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

4.  rewind back 8 or 10 years and revisit what was being done then - before the revolving door of hosts/hostesses.  Do over.  Ron the Ref, bobbleheads (assuming the new team is gelling and not due for imminent trade).  Maybe it was getting old to some, but it was waaaay better than now.  Then adjust in small steps.

5.  More in game organ music.  Seems that organ music is more prominent in the games on tv.

Oh, and did I mention bobbleheads? 

33 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Lazy river.

Seconded. Just cuz I wanna see it from an engineering standpoint. It should run all the way around the second-level balcony. 

1. Parking should never be over 5 bucks..  

2. Add another bathroom or two.. the p---s line will get longer as we start winning..

3. between the periods shoot out a few more shirts with various sizes

5 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

1. Parking should never be over 5 bucks..  

2. Add another bathroom or two.. the p---s line will get longer as we start winning..

3. between the periods shoot out a few more shirts with various sizes

Why not just let whoever gets one trade it in for whatever size they want? 

Ron the Ref ;)

Have more promo nights sponsored by various local/regional businesses that have giveaways/discounts for the fans...generate more local income?

If there are former Canes in the area, how about having them be part of the promos...

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If there are former Canes in the area, how about having them be part of the promos

This is a great idea.

One thing that came out in one of those articles about Greenberg is that he seriously listened to fans and acted on their ideas. So....if he does buy the team, maybe we send him the best ideas from this thread. 

So keep'em coming!

More organ, less recorded music. Hockey does not need cheerleaders. Win more, and make the playoffs.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1

The absolute most important item.  

We need a new goal song. !!!

the current one is rainbows and lollipops. 

We need one that fires ? up the crowd and our team.  Pleeeeeeeeze.  New goal song !!!!

• Like 1

My buddy and I came down from Canada last year to watch the Jets and Habs play over the weekend, I was pumped to go to I believe it was called the hometown series, when I got PNC I was unable to find anything out about it, look around, and pretty much gave up, I think going back to more traditional music instead of a DJ would help as well. I really think the fan experience will improve with winning, and I believe we should be very close to the playoffs this year, winning solves a lot of problems. I was down to Raleigh as well in 2001 and the tailgating was awesome, I am a little disappointed to see no tailgating, but again I believe this will be solved again with a team that can win on the ice.

I am looking at booking another trip down most likely in early March 2018 and hopefully this team is will be either in a playoff position by then or in the hunt, I can understand the fans not wanting to come out, for some many years there was no hope, hope is I believe since Ron Francis took over is very close. Keep the faith Canes fans!!! Support the team... We are close to making it to the playoffs!!!

• Like 1

Hurricane siren, either vet the people about to use it to make sure their not wimps or get rid of it.

Only in the rarest of occasions does someone crank it properly to make it cool, either use the same person every game or ditch it because when a fan screws it up it's frankly mood killing.

(Remember I moved to Ohio in case someone's like....uhhhh it's gone)

Edited by legend-1

My post from sometime last year

On 4/10/2016 at 6:52 PM, super_dave_1 said:

Many things could be done that would cost absolutely  nothing, and would help to improve the experience.

I'm pretty sure they have unsold suites for most games.  Set up a few STH's at random in a suite and throw a little food and beverage in there.  It would be a nice perk for STH's and costs virtually nothing.

Select a few fans at random to sit with the healthy scratches (whoever they are) for a period.  It would be neat to interact with those guys and again, costs nothing.

Have more giveaway stuff during all games.  All items should be signed.  Set up a few tables for the players to sign items a couple of times a month.  Practice pucks, pictures, t-shirts, etc.  The cost is minimal.

Jersey off the back should be done on a regular, but random basis during the season.  Once in a while, award the jersey of a random player to a fan.  I'm sure they have some ratty jerseys that are going to be "retired" at times during the season.  Again, cost = nothing.

These are just a few things off the top of my head that are cheap or free and would be neat things that all fans would want to participate in.

• Like 1

A little bit off-topic maybe, but tailgating is something I enjoy.  As and owner, please just go get in a golf cart, get out in the parking lot and shake a few hands and sit down and listen to the die-hards at their tailgates.  Do the same during games, make yourself visible  Sit down with some random Canes fans for a period.  Do more meet and greets at the door and at the aisles between periods

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

I agree.  I also liked the pre-game much more with Forslund giving the update of the last game, where the Canes stood  etc...  It seemed there was a lot more build-up to game start.  Then adding that ridiculous siren helped bring all that to a screeching halt.  

I have no problems with the Siren but hey maybe it should be saved for special games?

Its very anti-climatic to see the local elementary school crossing guard come out and sound that thing.  Bill Cowher in the 1st round of playoffs? Check.  My cousin Homer from the Piggly Wiggly... to start the 11th home game of the year on a school night?  NAHH

Also the pre-game videos right before puck drop were awesome!  They had a theme that was relevant and were very clever.  I don't know where those went but they were outstanding.  We used to race to our seats to make sure we were there for them.  They seemed to be less and less frequent and relevant around 2007.  

What made the experience in the early 2000's ironically were our identity Here we are 10 years later, no longer the new kids on the block and we have no identiy, isn't that ironic?

Dancing Granny? Check

Ron the Ref? Check

Big Mike? Check

Ric Flair? Check (jumbotron)

Section 333 (forgive me trying to remember the section) yelling... ______insert name here____ Goaile Sux's! Check

Affordable Parking? Check

Dumb and Dumber guys in Tuxedo's? Check

Bobbleheads and the occasionally bad idea Glass? Check

Great animated video prior to game? Check

Springsteen "Rising" prior to puckdrop in playoffs? Check?

White haired dude with Leather Hat sometime on JumboTron? Check

Why do I remember these things as my family does, but I am hard pressed to remember anything the last several years OTHER than a horrible DJ? and the siren thingy?  

We don't need an octopus to throw on the ice to be who we are.  We just need to be us.  The last 8 or so years we've wasted a lot of time trying to make stuff up.  

Find a guy that complains.  Put him up every time a call goes against us in a crucial moment.  Same guy, same bi@ching.  Find someone with a unique look put them up at the same time every game.  Let a ticketholder tell their guest "Its 3rd period, dancing granny will be right down there when she dances in a few minutes..."

That's an identity. Strangely the NEW Team that came to Raleigh had one 10 years ago.  This one... not so much.

(Stepping off soap box)

6 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

4.  rewind back 8 or 10 years and revisit what was being done then - before the revolving door of hosts/hostesses.  Do over.  Ron the Ref, bobbleheads (assuming the new team is gelling and not due for imminent trade).  Maybe it was getting old to some, but it was waaaay better than now.  Then adjust in small steps.

5.  More in game organ music.  Seems that organ music is more prominent in the games on tv.

Oh, and did I mention bobbleheads? 

Any 2000s retrospective that doesn't include Dixie and her bellybutton jewelry.. man.

I just wouldn't make a good person to help model the process.  I'm there for hockey.  I'm not there to entertain a batch of kids who may or may not realize there's a professional sport being played.  I'm not there to ensure that Mr/Ms Businessperson gets great LTE reception for the Nikkei index, and their latest favorite niche beer in the right kind of crystal.  I don't go for t-shirts or gift cards or art prints or magnets, and I don't need a sad, lonely horn to tell me that there are three notes in "Let's Go Canes".

I want videos of hockey, interviews of hockey players, peeks behind the scenes that delve deeper than "What is your favorite Italian food?".  I want live look-ins to other hockey games.  I want thunderous hockey music, cheerleaders that actually skate, and goal horns that make the opponent's ears bleed.  

If they cater to me, they probably draw 5,000 max. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac-1-1 said:

If they cater to me, they probably draw 5,000 max. 

Nonetheless, I'm right there with you. I'm there for the hockey game, not a three-ring circus.

I get that attention spans are short and that visual/aural stimulation is meant to keep people involved and interested. But how about a between-periods feature that illustrates a finer point or a rule of the game (hosted Ron the Ref, of course) using people (esp. kids) pulled from the stands, as real-life x's and o's? Give them autographed sticks to use on the ice and keep for participating. Use a huge puck, and have some fun when they (inevitably) aren't where they're supposed to be on the ice.

When hockey came to Philly, for something like the first three or four years, the announcer would say "EYE-cing" or "OFFsides" every time one of those common infractions occurred. We're going to be getting a lot of newbies/first-timers here in the next few years; it's essentially a reset. Making sure they understand the game, its history, and even something as fundamental as the fact that two of the greatest ever to lace 'em up played for this org, are very simple but effective ways to hook them, and costs absolutely nothing.

And then there's the Grail. We've won it. Keep milking that and using it fo new fans get an appreciation for what it takes to win it, the mythology around it, etc. The better fans understand the game and what it means to the guys playing it, the more they'll value the org, support it, and believe their support makes a difference. Which is key, because it does. 

(Now, all of that being said, I'd love to see us contract with Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas and Rush to produce an exclusive, really loud, quite hilarious Bob and Doug McKenzie goal song!!  :rockon:)

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, caryhurricanes said:

We need a new goal song. !!!

Brass Bonanza...or the chorus to "Rock You Like A Hurricane"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, one-timer said:

I have no problems with the Siren but hey maybe it should be saved for special games?

Yah...like a game I fly out to attend...cause sounding that siren is on my bucket list!

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

A little bit off-topic maybe, but tailgating is something I enjoy.  As and owner, please just go get in a golf cart, get out in the parking lot and shake a few hands and sit down and listen to the die-hards at their tailgates.  Do the same during games, make yourself visible  Sit down with some random Canes fans for a period.  Do more meet and greets at the door and at the aisles between periods

Some of my favorite Canes memories are actually tailgating memories.  Several times, I have dragged over opposing fans who wandered by and invited them into our festivities.  We have done shots with Buffalo fans.  Do you have a bull horn to harass people with?  I do.  Have you had tailgates that required 2 meals?  I have.  Do you pee in the woods?  I have.  The players bus for the 2010 ASG had players taking our pictures as they drove by. Tailgating is a tradition.

The new owner is more than welcome to meet with my crowd on opening day in the east lot for all of this.