Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

How Would You Improve the Arena Game Experience?

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

597778ba50311_sandiegochicken.jpg.382717f23bc9a7aab8602d598401f1b7.jpg

San Diego Chicken.  Southern California team with a lot of Mexican-Americans in the area.  Chicken is a huge part of Mexican food. 

I'm about 65% sure this is why.

The Padres were owned by Ray Kroc.  Who owned McDonalds.  Which sells a massive amount of  . . . uh, never mind; that's KFC.  :P

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I stand by my statement this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes.

You can convince me it has everything to do with the state of NC and a billionaire pork Mogul but you will never convince me  it has anything to do with hockey or the hurricanes.:P

How about if we dump Stormy and Bring back Ron the Ref?

You are wrong that it doesn't have anything to do with the Hurricanes because it is now tradition and in the mind.   Just like the ram for the tarheels.  Had something to do with a running back a long time ago.  Has nothing to do with a tarheel whatever that is but if you tried to get rid of it good luck.  The only mascots that get changed are un-pc ones.

This is one of those things where you are likely in the <5000 group.  Most people are OK with Stormy.

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

Most people are OK with Stormy.

and I know that. It would just improve my arena experience. Let Stormy stay,I can live with it but one thing I noticed unrelated to Stormy is that when we no longer emphasized some of the things that had made the arena fun, especially for families the crowd seemed to change. Spontaneity seemed lessened. Management had hinted that the game could speak for itself and maybe some of the promotions that had also become a tradition or at least a fixture like Ron the Ref  were put aside.

To me what made this market special was its difference to other hockey markets. Outsiders used it against us making fun of us adding the punctuation that Raleigh would never be a hockey market. We knew better. We already were hockey market with a fun side "A Happening" an event and it wasn't being forced down our throats by marketers but embraced by them.

What happened between 2002 and 2009 was a sports phenomenon. Sports phenomenon don't happen that often 69 Mets, NC State BB National Title, Sox win World Series etc.

It was special and I enjoyed it and embraced it and I miss it. If I'm in NY or Philly yeah let the game speak for itself. When I'm in Raleigh I want the game, the wacky and  the atmosphere that makes us us and feels like us. I don't want to hear how Nashville is doing it because we did it first. I want the Caniac Nation back.

And then there's this guy, who isn't silly at all and totally represents Philly, where all the residents are green and have roll-out noisemaker tongues. 

the-phillie-phanatic-cb731b83d767a0f6.jp

Edited by top-shelf-1

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And then there's this guy, who isn't silly at all and totally represents Philly, where all the residents are green and have roll-out noisemaker tongues. 

Built in Beer Funnel too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The exception to the rule :hitsforehead:  and that is why I said, I am not a big fan of big league mascots. Even or perhaps especially the big headed overstuffed costumed type.

12 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

mascots are mostly for kids amirite?  partypooper

Give this man a kewpie doll.  He's a winner.  Few any of the mascots have anything to do with anything other than entertainment.

That's the whole point.  Mascots are mainly for the kids.  Go to any game with a mascot of any kind and see how the kids flock to it.  OBXer hates kids.  That's all there is to it.  I also think all our examples went over his head if it took the Philly Fanatic to make him say it was an exception to the rule. 

Edited by super_dave_1

40 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

OBXer hates kids.

Haha  NO I HATE MASCOTS

Magicians,Mimes and Ventriloquists too!

and trust me none of this went over my head!

• Like 1

My parents took me to my first hockey game when i was 4 and i was hooked for life.  I have no clue if the team even had a mascot - if they did, i paid it no attention.  I don't think they had cheerleaders either.  It was the sport that hooked me.  But <5000.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

I stand by my statement this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes.

Be careful, they might decide that "Carolina Ice Hogs" really should have won the naming contest...

Here's Greensboro Stormy.. better, or worse?

CarolinaHurricanes_Stormy.jpg

He looks like someone owes him money.

Edited by caniac-1-1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Glad someone finally pointed this out.

28 minutes ago, caniac-1-1 said:

Be careful, they might decide that "Carolina Ice Hogs" really should have won the naming contest...

Here's Greensboro Stormy.. better, or worse?

CarolinaHurricanes_Stormy.jpg

He looks like someone owes him money.

Considerably better i think, but not as 'cute'.  So <5000.

When you think about it, what other franchise puts the mascot on the ice on one hand, and sells his brother out on the concourse in chopped form as their signature item?

That is bravado.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Haha  NO I HATE MASCOTS

Magicians,Mimes and Ventriloquists too!

and trust me none of this went over my head!

Magician, mimes, and ventriloquists...I'm right there with you.

8 minutes ago, hag65 said:

When you think about it, what other franchise puts the mascot on the ice on one hand, and sells his brother out on the concourse in chopped form as their signature item?

That is bravado.

Ballsy for sure

My Stormy memory:

Went to Hurricane U (they should bring that back).  He was in goal and I took a wrist shot that sailed high past his ear and thundered into the plexiglass.  He stiffened tall in shock at what just happened.

Later beat him with my go-to move in shootout, but that's another story....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

The exception to the rule :hitsforehead:  and that is why I said, I am not a big fan of big league mascots. Even or perhaps especially the big headed overstuffed costumed type.

I guess it's just a matter of preference. Stormy doesn't harm the experience IMO. He's no Phanatic, who is over-the-top funny with a great comedic sense (and lately comic relief has been the only reason to attend a Phils game). But if it's a choice between Stormy and DJ AirSicknessBag, it's a pretty easy one.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

That is bravado.

Is this even pc? 

Va Tech - i know it's football - sells smoked turkey legs at games and their mascot is a.....turkey

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

The Brewers sell each style of their Famous Racing Sausages.

Man... This discussion is getting weird!

Edited by wxray1

20 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The Brewers sell each style of their Famous Racing Sausages.

Man... This discussion is getting weird!

Or kinky...depending on your point of view

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Went to Hurricane U (they should bring that back).

They should.  I am also a graduate of HU but was in the arctic working and didn't get to do the on ice graduation thingy.

My friend and I got busted fondling Gleason gloves at the big glove dryer, which btw was evidently off limits to the locker room tour.

We also had a beautiful top shelf snipe on a 2 on 1. me with the primary assist and sweet pass.

We also stole two pucks, still have mine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

My friend and I got busted fondling Gleason gloves at the big glove dryer, which btw was evidently off limits to the locker room tour.

We also stole two pucks, still have mine.

See, this is why we can't have nice things anymore.  :)

26 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

See, this is why we can't have nice things anymore.  :)

9ded75ba7e115f630d472a9471a2f96f.jpg

Edited by super_dave_1