The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

How Would You Improve the Arena Game Experience?

Bring back Ron the Ref. Surprised he's getting so much love on here. Bobbleheads for sure. And more cowbell! That really peaked in the 2009 playoffs, but it did get the crowd going. I'm there for the hockey first and foremost, but the games and contests at timeouts and intermissions kept up the energy IMO. And I'd be fine with losing the organ. They always play it after the other team scores, and that really annoys me. Maybe recreate the atmosphere when we drew 17,000/game for 2 or 3 years after the SC. I didn't hear any complaints.

Legend, agree that too much cowbell in your ear is not enjoyable. But playing the SNL skit w/Will Ferrell on the video board was a hoot, and got the crowd pumped. In those 2009 playoffs, it did reach the point that I wished they would ban the things in the arena. But in moderation, they got the crowd into the games. As opposed to the last 2 years when they do nothing to get the crowd excited when the puck is not in play. The in-game "host" has no personality and seems to be going through the motions. Give me Ron ( or Amber Jaye) and just a little cowbell any day. When they let Ron the Ref go, they said they wanted to focus fans on the hockey experience. Well, I believe these changes, along with raised prices for tickets, parking and concessions, along with early season fade outs by the team, have eroded the STH base and attendance in general. I know winning is the biggest factor, but was anybody complaining about the in-game experience when they canned everything to bring in the organ and the god-awful DJ?

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

A little bit off-topic maybe, but tailgating is something I enjoy.  As and owner, please just go get in a golf cart, get out in the parking lot and shake a few hands and sit down and listen to the die-hards at their tailgates.  Do the same during games, make yourself visible  Sit down with some random Canes fans for a period.  Do more meet and greets at the door and at the aisles between periods

Best new idea.   I think a genuine engagement by management with the fans would do wonders.  Live visits, a town hall, even some advertising.  We need to really feel that ownership is invested.  With PK, you just never know.

PK was prickly.  It was just the way he was, so I get it.  But Wadell just came across as mean.  I was serious when I said there should be contest to spray a water bottle in his face.  Only Shane got to do that.

+1 on the organ.  And regardless of that, I wish Larry would use a few more voices and mix up his playlist a bit.  Or, replace him.  Or replace the organ with one that can fill the house.

Need new in game hosts.  The kids loved Ron.  I wasn't much of a fan, but it worked for most everyone.  Forgot her name (she left after health issues), but she was much better than the current corporate dude.

+1 on more energetic goal song.

14 hours ago, caniac-1-1 said:

I want videos of hockey, interviews of hockey players, peeks behind the scenes that delve deeper than "What is your favorite Italian food?".  I want live look-ins to other hockey games.  I want thunderous hockey music, cheerleaders that actually skate, and goal horns that make the opponent's ears bleed.  

If they cater to me, they probably draw 5,000 max. 

I won't disagree with any of that except the 5,000 max.  I don't think it would hurt much, if any.  I think a lot of us are looking for this.  Your "deeper than Italian food" is a good one.  Others have echoed it in this thread.  It doesn't all have to be about nonsense music video introductions.

However, there is an element that has to appeal to families, just based on the demographics.  Also, you need to hook the kids here to grow the game.  You need something for the younger generation.

Edited by wxray1

12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Cowbell as least on this forum got extremely mixed reviews. I'm sure when it's being banged in your ear it gets old fast.

During that playoff run, I had a cowbell that I'd ring only when a goal was scored.  I was at a playoff game, and the guy beside me was loud, obnoxious, and a total tool.  Unfortunately for him, a family and their 2 young boys was sitting right behind him.  I gave the boys the cowbell and told them to have a ball.

The simple pleasures are the best

• Like 4

The area outside of the seated section could use major overhaul.  We all can probably name or identify every food cart/area or beer stand.  Make it more like arena meets food truck rodeo and feature more variety of food and drink, craft beer, etc.  Do the same for pre-game in the area outside of the ticket office for those that don't tailgate or BYO from your tailgate.

Integrate that with a more modernized media presence beyond just stale screen displays and the few areas where outside broadcasts can be found.  Make it more interactive for social interaction or tech nerdy usage.

Tweak the in seating experience as suggested by many, but keep the in-progress game part sacred (stop aisle flow and hold your bladder until the game stops!).

Edited by Manwolf

9 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Tweak the in seating experience as suggested by many, but keep the in-progress game part sacred (stop aisle flow and hold your bladder until the game stops!).

+1, was at a baseball game recently, and was waiting in the breezeway for a foul ball or something.  Not good enough for the pushers behind me.  Forgot it wasn't hockey.   This is a great tradition and courtesy.

For a big part of the crowd, wifi and an Arena app which had replays and interactive stuff would be good.  Also could allow check ins on other games at intermissions.  The younger generation must be entertained every second.  Just look at how much time people spend locked in on their phones.  I personally would love to be able to access replays at times, especially during goal reviews.

Guys, I think you're getting ahead of yourselves.  The proposed new owner doesn't have a deal in place, yet you already have him riding around in a golf cart interacting with fans in the parking lot and greeting folks at the door.  Maybe later, but not yet.

11 minutes ago, g105 said:

Guys, I think you're getting ahead of yourselves.  The proposed new owner doesn't have a deal in place, yet you already have him riding around in a golf cart interacting with fans in the parking lot and greeting folks at the door.  Maybe later, but not yet.

Sale or no sale, 'tis summaaaa--with naught naught naught to talk a-baught.

New owner or not, improving the in arena experience is a worthy topic.

When Francis took over there was the announcement that he was going to follow a long term plan to create a solid contending team on the ice. To this point it appears that he has played the multiple so-so hands dealt him very well in that regard.

There was also an announcement that the in game experience would be upgraded. That side of things has been a bit less impressive, or at least I don't really notice much different. Fired Ron the Ref. Fine, but no obvious plan on his replacement. Add a DJ. Because everyone knows that what a live NHL hockey game needs is a DJ. What's next, a wedding singer? At least you wouldn't get rid of the single most popular promotion of all, bobbleheads. Oh wait....

To be honest, there is probably a practical limit to what you can do. I can tell you that a lot of what goes on is for the sponsors and for revenues. But then don't promise a big upcoming improvement.

I was encouraged by the quote that Greenberg is big on in game experience, and creating that sort of fun and tradition though. IF he takes over, I bet that the changes in that area promised during the GM change, will really happen.

I'd be curious if people have been to games at other arenas, and what they do well. We need our own traditions but if something's good? Steal it.

Edited by remkin

14 hours ago, g105 said:

One can dream. We all speculate about new players for the team why not this?   Ice Girls that can actually skate and dance.  cough cough.... Checkers girls .  A few guys hanging with the tailgaters on occasion can go along way.  I Nominate Glove Shaker(Boulerice) for the 1st shift.  LOL.  And yes for Organ Music.  Who would not want more organ.

15 hours ago, g105 said:

What do you want us to talk about?  The improvements need to be made whether we have a new owner or not.  PK hasn't/isn't/has no interest in doing these things.  Maybe a new owner will.

We can always go back to talking about...

Ward is average at best

Let's trade up in the draft

Let's sign "Player X"

Canes need a 1C

Let's trade Faulk

We need Duchene

Semin sucks

or any of the other:deadhorse: topics we have had

• Like 4

• Dis-invite DJ make-me-Ilzz
  • Ramp up between period live band music - some of it was good last year but others played music too soft; not conducive to keeping people 'up' between periods, needs to be rock n roll or hard country rock
  • Drop the cheerleaders
  • Get those dry ice machines to spew from the jumbotron every time the Canes score
  • Bring back Nature Boy RF Woooooooo
  • Sweater off the back after every home game for one fan who gets to go to the locker room and meet the player to get it. (The end of the season sweater give away is 100% pure politics - nothing random about that giveaway)
  • LAST - we don't need to reinvent the wheel here - a Canes rep should go to one home game of every other team and see what they are doing and co-opt the idea and maybe with a little tweak make it something we do. There is already a ton of creativity out there so lets not limit ourselves to our ideas only.
  • Personally I liked Ron the Ref - he skated. Good guy, bring him back to handle the corny promo's - he did it well.
  • Bring in an ice crew of girls (a la NY Islanders or Philly Flyers or Chicago BH). Our current group of ice scrapers dress like nuns.
Edited by raleighcaniac
  • Like 2

I'll always vote for bringing back Ron the Ref.  He's a good guy and a good ambassador for the team.  Probably 90% of the people's issues that didn't care for him could be fixed with whoever controls the volume know in the control booth. 

DJ Scratch-N-Sniff must go

• Like 1

I would like to see the pregame warmup music changed from that techno BS.  Watching other NHL games pregame coverage it seems like the playlists are the same or similar in other pregame skates.  Anybody know how the pregame skate music is chosen?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't like the loud, bassy, techno pop that they play.  Seems like the target audience for that is kind of narrow.  That being said...

bc53f192d0f9fe59296785611a23305915c79d54

Free PBR for all tailgaters!

You guys actually have my blood pumping reading all of these suggestions and the retrospective of what has worked over the years.  And you guys have nailed it.

I could type for a whole season on this subject, but who would read it.  So I'll start at the beginning with the most important.

The goal celebration has to be great.  At one point, the NHL rated our goal celebration #1 in the EC, read it here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-2010-11-Goal-Celebration-Ranking-Eastern-Co?urn=nhl-281859

So we were great so of course we changed it.

Song 2 (Blur) goes nicely with Ric Flair.  The whistles go woo.

Woo!   That is our bit.  Our first game in Raleigh, the first time we scored and Ric came on I knew it was gold.  That's the trick, you need something that is your own.  Everyone shouts when you score, but we Woo.

When we got the jumbotron upgrade, they relegated Ric to one of the small screens and downplayed the woo.  The woo is not to be downplayed, it needs to be blaring and obnoxious that is the whole point.  On the big screens, in fact on all the screens.  A big WOOOOOOOO on both rings around the arena.  I mean, we just scored, the world needs to know, and most importantly, the opposing fans need to know.  Because there it is... they are there, and they need a big WOOOOOO to really feel it down deep.

The fans Woo when we score, but not as much as they used to when Ric was more prominent.  Every place needs a signature bit, and until this one is replaced with another one better, this is ours.  Needs to be prominent.

I don't care what we change our goal celebration music to, but it needs to be integrated well with all of the celebration stuff.  I love the stream of consciousness celebration we had with Chewy and Fred Flintstone and Homer and whoever.  It is gold, do it up right, add to it.  Make another just like it but with different stuff.  Have 3 or 4 of them but Ric is the centerpiece.  If they want to retire it, they need something better, and it has to be great.  If they aren't retiring it, get it out front again.  

We just scored... we want to celebrate!  And we want the Buffalo fan next to us to be gritting his teeth through it all and have to go get another beer to drown his anger.

Edited by hag65
  • Like 5

I'm into raffle tickets.Raffle off a team signed Jersey(s) every home game. Raffle off a suite for selected games. Have a running 10 game raffle for a car giveaway, 4 cars per season. Raffle for an away game, airfare and hotel. Raffle to attend a team barbecue. Raffles could be endless.

• Like 2