The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

How Would You Improve the Arena Game Experience?

20 hours ago, remkin said:

To be honest, there is probably a practical limit to what you can do. I can tell you that a lot of what goes on is for the sponsors and for revenues. But then don't promise a big upcoming improvement.

And there's your problem.

DJ Scratchy-Illz was sponsored.

Beer is sponsored.  I'd love to see more microbrews.  But, guess what?  Can't stomp on the sponsors.

Ice crew is sponsored.

Bobble heads were sponsored.  Maybe the crack sales team couldn't get anyone to pony up?  

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

You guys actually have my blood pumping reading all of these suggestions and the retrospective of what has worked over the years.  And you guys have nailed it.

I could type for a whole season on this subject, but who would read it.  So I'll start at the beginning with the most important.

The goal celebration has to be great.  At one point, the NHL rated our goal celebration #1 in the EC, read it here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/NHL-2010-11-Goal-Celebration-Ranking-Eastern-Co?urn=nhl-281859

So we were great so of course we changed it.

Song 2 (Blur) goes nicely with Ric Flair.  The whistles go woo.

Woo!   That is our bit.  Our first game in Raleigh, the first time we scored and Ric came on I knew it was gold.  That's the trick, you need something that is your own.  Everyone shouts when you score, but we Woo.

When we got the jumbotron upgrade, they relegated Ric to one of the small screens and downplayed the woo.  The woo is not to be downplayed, it needs to be blaring and obnoxious that is the whole point.  On the big screens, in fact on all the screens.  A big WOOOOOOOO on both rings around the arena.  I mean, we just scored, the world needs to know, and most importantly, the opposing fans need to know.  Because there it is... they are there, and they need a big WOOOOOO to really feel it down deep.

The fans Woo when we score, but not as much as they used to when Ric was more prominent.  Every place needs a signature bit, and until this one is replaced with another one better, this is ours.  Needs to be prominent.

I don't care what we change our goal celebration music to, but it needs to be integrated well with all of the celebration stuff.  I love the stream of consciousness celebration we had with Chewy and Fred Flintstone and Homer and whoever.  It is gold, do it up right, add to it.  Make another just like it but with different stuff.  Have 3 or 4 of them but Ric is the centerpiece.  If they want to retire it, they need something better, and it has to be great.  If they aren't retiring it, get it out front again.  

We just scored... we want to celebrate!  And we want the Buffalo fan next to us to be gritting his teeth through it all and have to go get another beer to drown his anger.

Post of the thread so far. The only time I hear Blur these days is when I play it on iTunes. :mad:

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

And there's your problem.

DJ Scratchy-Illz was sponsored.

Yeah, but what could he have cost--$20 bucks a game? For $20.50 you all can sponsor me and I'll tear that place UP.

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I would like to see the pregame warmup music changed from that techno BS.  Watching other NHL games pregame coverage it seems like the playlists are the same or similar in other pregame skates.  Anybody know how the pregame skate music is chosen?

Coastal...I remember when we could Tweet song suggestions to play during the game.  I recall seeing the darn things and thinking it was Prom music.  I for one believe the music sets the stage in the arena.  An example is how VT Football comes on the field....(disclaimer - I'm not a VT fan but like their entrance)

Now that is an entrance song!  I for one would like to see us come on the ice to Power Man 5000 - When Worlds Collide or Volbeat - A Warriors Call.  In my mind both set a heavier tone and both are clean for all those little ones in attendance (like my 2 little guys).

• Like 2

More:

I come from a college hockey background, and was more or less responsible for a significant portion of the "in game experience" as the president of the Pep band.

College is a different animal of course... but there are similarities.  We aren't going to have a pep band, although I would love it.  This is another case of <5000 fans would like it.

But what we did was not just playing tunes, we were basically responsible for managing the cheering in the student section, kinda like the hockey version of the "Cameron Crazies" for a frame of reference.

One of the things I dislike about the NHL experience is the need to fill every break in action with blaring music... there are alternatives.  I understand we need all the promos which help pay the bills, I am not talking about that.

This is what I mean.

Who is the enemy out there?  The other team of course.  Who is the most important member of the other team?  Well, we all know who it is.  He just sucked in a goal, and isn't too happy about it.  He needs to know about it.

I am miffed that Nashville is already onto this:    

We have a storm squad, we have Big Mike.  We need our own crowd cheer for the goalie, they should be leading it.  We should be training everyone what it is.  Once everyone knows it, it is a lot of fun.  Does it affect the goalie?  Probably not.   Do fans think it affects the goalie?  Yes.  Might it affect the goalie occasionally?  Possibly.  It doesn't really matter if it does.  If the guy sucks another one in soon after, the crowd is sure it did get to him, and once again, it's loads of fun.

It doesn't have to be excessively rude.  In fact, it needs to be clean enough so the parents don't care.

Another example:

One of the things Clarkson came up with is cheering "Empty Net, Empty Net, Empty Net" whenever a delayed call penalty is called on Clarkson and the opposing goalie goes to the bench.   After the whistle and the goalie goes back into the crease, the cheer is "Still an empty net, Still an empty net, Still an empty net".

I like that :)

You get the picture.  I don't think we should turn the entire game into a college atmosphere, we couldn't anyway.  But we could pick a couple of simple things like this for the crowd to learn and be a part of.  We already do it with the "<goalie name>, <goalie name>, <goalie name>, YOU SUCK"  but we could do better.

• Like 3

How about an organized chant against all the enemy fans in the house. They couldn't match it because they wouldn't be organized.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

How about an organized chant against all the enemy fans in the house. They couldn't match it because they wouldn't be organized.

I like this idea.  Something that starts out as we're being so nice to cheer for them, and then a zinger at the end (bless their hearts).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

They do that in the Deutsch Eishockey Liga in Germany...and the opposing fans often fire back.

18 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

They do that in the Deutsch Eishockey Liga in Germany...and the opposing fans often fire back.

Gotta keep changing it up.

I remember years ago in the bleachers at Wrigley field right field would start chanting "Left Field Sucks". Then left field would chant "right field sucks", this went on a few times until both right and left field both chanted "Center field sucks". Center field was stuck because they couldn't organize a chant at both right and left fields and all they managed was unintelligible. This of course was the joke and the point of the whole thing in the first place.

Something like that.

OR something they can come back to, but we have yet another response to theirs that leaves them stuck.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hag65 said:

I come from a college hockey background, and was more or less responsible for a significant portion of the "in game experience" as the president of the Pep band.

You sir, are now the official Canes Coordinator of Fan Chants.  Congratulations.

SuperDave will assign you an avatar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

You sir, are now the official Canes Coordinator of Fan Chants.  Congratulations.

SuperDave will assign you an avatar.

Done.  Will Ferrell, Spartans cheerleader

6f9e728e045fc20c185b59aeb7c8f962--movie-

• Like 1

DUMP THE PIG

I am not a big fan of big league mascots. Even or perhaps especially the big headed overstuffed costumed type. Whenever I see Stormy he drives me crazy. I prefer my pig slowly roasted over hot coals in a slow cooker but even I suspect that would be traumatic for the younger crowd who have been brainwashed to adore this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes. So a retirement would be more appropriate.

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

DUMP THE PIG

I am not a big fan of big league mascots. Even or perhaps especially the big headed overstuffed costumed type. Whenever I see Stormy he drives me crazy. I prefer my pig slowly roasted over hot coals in a slow cooker but even I suspect that would be traumatic for the younger crowd who have been brainwashed to adore this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes. So a retirement would be more appropriate.

We were once sitting next to first time attendees.  They literally didn't know what Stormy was.   We told her, and she said (this may be edited, although she used it in an agricultural way): "Oh, I thought he was a Jackass".

I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the game.

Edited by wxray1

42 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Whenever I see Stormy he drives me crazy. I prefer my pig slowly roasted over hot coals in a slow cooker but even I suspect that would be traumatic for the younger crowd who have been brainwashed to adore this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes.

Not true actually.  It had everything to do with North Carolina and the Hurricanes.

The actual explanation is as follows: "The Hurricanes adopted a pig mascot shortly after moving to North Carolina nine years ago. The state has more hogs than any other state except Iowa -- 9.5 million of them. The Hurricanes also wanted to recognize pork mogul Wendell Murphy, who gave millions to N.C. State and owned the original naming rights to the RBC Center, where the Hurricanes play." The actual News and Observer link this quote was sourced from isn't available anymore, but it more or less fits the bill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canes/comments/3i9ivr/the_auspicious_debut_of_stormy_the_hurricanes_pig/

Edited by coastal_caniac

Seriously. Many of the suggestions previously made are really good. One thing I noticed is that many of the things listed that some of us would like to see come back were spontaneous. I will grant you the then marketing department was smart enough to grab onto them and help make it a Hurricane tradition. But they were generated by fans including tailgating. Sometime after the All-Star game it appears the marketers decided we were a hockey market instead of a hockey market with our own twist on the overall experience.

7 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The state has more hogs than any other state except Iowa -- 9.5 million of them

Good lets loan him on a permanent basis to the state fair ;)

Like I said I hate cutesy pro-sport mascots so it wouldn't matter to me if Stormy turned out to be PK in disguise. But I recognize that others feel differently.

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

Good lets loan him on a permanent basis to the state fair ;)

Like I said I hate cutesy pro-sport mascots so it wouldn't matter to me if Stormy turned out to be PK in disguise. But I recognize that other feel differently.

Well at least get your facts straight before you hate on ol' Stormy. :threaten: [sarchasm]

I stand by my statement this symbol of nothing related to hockey or the Hurricanes.

You can convince me it has everything to do with the state of NC and a billionaire pork Mogul but you will never convince me  it has anything to do with hockey or the hurricanes.:P

How about if we dump Stormy and Bring back Ron the Ref?

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

So, name one that does and then we can talk. 

597778ba50311_sandiegochicken.jpg.382717f23bc9a7aab8602d598401f1b7.jpg

San Diego Chicken.  Southern California team with a lot of Mexican-Americans in the area.  Chicken is a huge part of Mexican food. 

I'm about 65% sure this is why.

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

San Diego Chicken.  Southern California team with a lot of Mexican-Americans in the area.  Chicken is a huge part of Mexican food. 

I'm about 65% sure this is why.

This is why the Famous Running Sausages work so well in Wisconsin.  You know, N. European ancestry and all.  They even allowed the Italian sausage into the game to help with diversity.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1