The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Markov Leaving The NHL

Looks like the Habs will be shopping for a Dman

NHL News: Andrei Markov Leaving The NHL And Is Headed To The KHL By Mark Easson

“I guess now it’s time to move on,” he said in a statement

Markov won't be back with Canadiens this season by Arpon Basu

"But in the end, I was ready to just to stay in Montreal. I was ready and willing to sign a one-year deal. It didn't work. I don't want to go through the details, but it didn't work."

It came yesterday as a complete shock to me, Markov was one of my favorite. Too bad, they were not be able to reach an 1 or 2-year agreement after 16 seasons...

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Looks like the Habs will be shopping for a Dman

From the business perspective, OBXer, did you mean, that Canes may think of a deal with them? Who could be offered and who we could ask?

3 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

It came yesterday as a complete shock to me, Markov was one of my favorite. Too bad, they were not be able to reach an 1 or 2-year agreement after 16 seasons...

From the business perspective, OBXer, did you mean, that Canes may think of a deal with them? Who could be offered and who we could ask?

I don't see us as a deal partner with Montreal for them to replace Markov. It doesn't appear we are trading any of our roster D and you don't replace Markov with a prospect. Now if the Habs look at this as a building opportunity we have the prospects to deal or if they have to move another player to make room for a "big money" dman I would think we would listen.

At the moment the only advantage I see for us is that Montreal could fall in the standings. Only 8 points separated them from the #1 in The Atlantic to the last Wildcard spot in the east.

• Like 1

Further confirmation: Don't pick up Russians, as FAs or otherwise. The moment they're unhappy, the Motherland beckons.

Babchuk

Semin

Kovi

Markov

Nyet.

I don't want to protect Russians, but Markov is a quite different story among those you listed and could be comparable to Ward's situation with Canes (Markov was just less lucky). Markov has (had?) completely different attitude towards the club - his loyalty deserves some admiration, imo: I believe he still could easily find a job among other 30 teams, but prefers to quit NHL... Naturally, the main option is going back to the Motherland - where else would be his choice you think? Sweden? ;)

Edited by Caniac514

Nevertheless, I wanted to use the thread on a slightly different aspect: Canadiens start this season.

They lost six in row and loosing 7th. I guess, Weber regrets big time on that trade, and Price would want to request one if that state of business continues :Aarrg:

I haven't gone through their media and boards yet, but looks like both coach Julien and GM Bergevin must go (few years ago) and the club starts rebuild.

What do you, hockey minds, think about my favorite second team? :)

Edited by Caniac514

11 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

I don't want to protect Russians, but Markov is a quite different story among those you listed and could be comparable to Ward's situation with Canes (Markov was just less lucky). Markov has (had?) completely different attitude towards the club - his loyalty deserves some admiration, imo: I believe he still could easily find a job among other 30 teams, but prefers to quit NHL... Naturally, the main option is going back to the Motherland - where else would be his choice you think? Sweden? ;)

I think the most telling thing of Markov's quote was "I don't want to get into the details" of why a one-year deal wouldn't work. It's a simple translation: "I was asking for more than they wanted to pay."

11 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

What do you, hockey minds, think about my favorite second team? :)

I think they put too much pressure on Price. Like Toronto, it's inexplicable to me that a team with the Habs' history, fan base, and re$ource$ has been so spotty for so long.

When I visited the HOF and entered the replicated Habs dressing room from The Forum, I was in awe. Here were the jerseys, skates, pads, and sticks of guys I'd worshipped as a kid: LaFleur, Cournoyer, the Richards, the Mahovlich brothers, Dryden--and all I could think was, "what happened??" 

• Like 1