The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

2017 Traverse City Prospects Tourney

I'm kind of surprised that Fleury, McKeown, and Poturalski are playing.  And that Ned isn't (Booth and Helvig in goal).

Interesting that 2 of the 4 camp invitees are about to turn 19yo right shot defensemen.

Edited by LakeLivin

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm kind of surprised that Fleury, McKeown, and Poturalski are playing.  And that Ned isn't (Booth and Helvig in goal).

Im not surprised to see Fleury.  I expect GMRF is trying to get an early read on his of play and conditioning.  If he doesn't look ready for an NHL season, GMRF may reach out to a UFA or LV for organizational depth.

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im not surprised to see Fleury.  I expect GMRF is trying to get an early read on his of play and conditioning.  If he doesn't look ready for an NHL season, GMRF may reach out to a UFA or LV for organizational depth.

Yeah, that makes sense, just wasn't expecting to see him on the roster.  My impression is that we usually field mostly younger players, but that's just an impression, and we know what they're worth. :P

Definitely a roster that could repeat.

Really want to see Necas. But Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, Smallman, Foegele, Bean, Fleury, and McKeown jump out at me. Poturalski can definitely contribute hugely at this tourney, and Steve Lorentz has done well, and Callum Booth had a pretty good year overall last year.

Hopefully it's streamed again. Would be very cool if the quality of the video upped a notch.

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

Definitely a roster that could repeat.

Really want to see Necas. But Gauthier, Roy, Kuokkanen, Smallman, Foegele, Bean, Fleury, and McKeown jump out at me. Poturalski can definitely contribute hugely at this tourney, and Steve Lorentz has done well, and Callum Booth had a pretty good year overall last year.

Hopefully it's streamed again. Would be very cool if the quality of the video upped a notch.

Have to agree on the prospects.  I want the next wave guys like Kuokkanen, Roy, Gauthier and Fleury to see how they are progressing and if they challenge for a roster spot this year during camp/injuries. 

I'd also like to see how our elder 3rd round pick does, Geekie, and the Patrick shadow, Mattheos, in game. Both could be big steals if Geekie is a late bloomer and Mattheos has more talent than shown because of Nolan Patrick.  Both could be serviceable organizational guys but both could be top 9 forward steals.

Anything up with Zykov?  I thought he might be on the roster considering some of the other AHL names.  But he's a little further along in experience so that likely explains it.

Edited by coastal_caniac

55 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Anything up with Zykov?  I thought he might be on the roster considering some of the other AHL names.  But he's a little further along in experience so that likely explains it.

Also SaareIa: only 20yo and with very limited experience on the small ice.  But injury (still recovering or fear of more) might explain his absence.  Or, I wonder if some of it might just be location?  Like if Zykov or Saarela are back home for the summer and Canes gave them a choice to come back early or not?  I also wonder if some of the older prospects like Fleury and McKeown might have also been given a choice?  

Two other guys I'd like to have seen on here are David Cotton and Eetu Luostarinen.

David Cotton plays college, not sure if that factors in and Eetu is the latest of 3 second round Finns in a row. Given how Aho turned out and Kuokannen is looking, like to see some of Luostarinen. Most scouts thought he was a bit of a reach, (like they did with Aho) but a few really liked him and one guy I read said he could have been a late first rounder. We've been on fire with second round picks, and picks from Finland, so I'm betting on Francis, our scouts and I guess Joni Pitkanen.

Edited by remkin

I don't remember ever having any NCAA guys in this tournament.  I think they have to foot the bill to be there.

I thought Saarela was recovering from shoulder surgery, but I don't know if that's the reason or not, but I just assumed it was.

Yeah, Saarela had surgery, just not sure where he is in his recovery.  I'm guessing that even if he's fully recovered the Canes might have held him out due to his history with injuries. He remains one of our most intriguing prospects imo, in part due to what I see as probably the biggest potential range of any of our prospects.  I could realistically see him ending up anywhere from a legit top 6 forward, to playing less than 25 NHL games due to injury.   

I'm encouraged it's going to be on the Fox Sports app as that sounds like enough pixels to go on the big hockey screen.

The breakdown on eligibility and other stuuf was a good read.

College football and dove season, Traverse City, pro football, NHL training camp, preseason, and all the while just hoping everything doesn't just blow away here.

Getting closer to opening night.

22 hours ago, remkin said:

I'm assuming there's no way to record these games? Anyone know?

Remkin, if you have time/knowledge, you may google "video stream capture software" and check numbers of software (e.g. from download.cnet.com) conditionally free (e.g. with trial period which should be enough for few days of tournament). I was interested in the same few years ago, but never studied the issue thoroughly or tried certain soft. 

10 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Remkin, if you have time/knowledge, you may google "video stream capture software" and check numbers of software (e.g. from download.cnet.com) conditionally free (e.g. with trial period which should be enough for few days of tournament). I was interested in the same few years ago, but never studied the issue thoroughly or tried certain soft. 

Be careful.  Software for capture has become a pretty good malware distribution method.

Also, CNET used to be 100% safe, but in recent years they have decided to let software for download be packaged with "useful utilities".  Not necessary malware, but probably bloat you don't want.